Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

The first one one on one he didnt miss by much, didnt do much wrong really. Won the penalty from which he scored. Thought he was one of the few players in our team to come out with any credit today.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, PaulC said:

The first one one on one he didnt miss by much, didnt do much wrong really. Won the penalty from which he scored. Thought he was one of the few players in our team to come out with any credit today.  

You’re kidding me.  I forgot he was even playing first half and didn’t think much second half when he was involved, then he gets two opportunities and didn’t take either.

The only way we ever look like scoring is from Watkins running in behind and one of our defenders punting the ball behind their defence. Even when he gets chances he’s generally run about 30 yards to get onto a long ball.

Showed for England that he can be a bit of a poacher but if it wasn’t for his runs we wouldn’t get the ball within the final third of the pitch. No surprise that he scored double the number of the goals with Grealish’s creativity alongside him.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

The only way we ever look like scoring is from Watkins running in behind and one of our defenders punting the ball behind their defence. Even when he gets chances he’s generally run about 30 yards to get onto a long ball.

Showed for England that he can be a bit of a poacher but if it wasn’t for his runs we wouldn’t get the ball within the final third of the pitch. No surprise that he scored double the number of the goals with Grealish’s creativity alongside him.

Yes hes not the problem. Get Tammy Abraham in and he would do no better. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

Run in behind…so he can be flagged offside, miscontrol it and pass to no one or hit it straight at the keeper or hit the woodwork. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

Should have buried the one on one and nearly missed the pen

2 hours ago, PaulC said:

Yes hes not the problem. Get Tammy Abraham in and he would do no better. 

Tammy does score lots of goals (which is amazing to me considering he rarely strikes the ball cleanly), but I always thought he was poor with the ball at his feet. But as I'm posting this I actually think even he is better than Ollie at linking play.

• Like 1

Three goals in last six games, four goals in his last seven games if you include his England goal. I think we will sign a striker for £65m plus in the summer as we look to improve, but that doesn't mean Watkins has to be sold, we're trying to build a squad.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

O'Leary was right

That may be so, but I'd never boo him. I just post my opinion. And Watkins being very sloppy is a very commonly shared opinion, because it's true.

I dont know what people expect him to be. He's a £25-30 mil striker which gets you a goal every 3 games roughly. Good spell he goes 1 goal in 2 for a while, bad spell 1 in every 5 or 6. 

Harry Kane will get you a goal every game and a half roughly, but he'll cost £125mil.

I suppose it's what the owners want to do really, we've now got a load of £15-30mil players, which gets you about 10th in the premier league.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, turvontour said:

I dont know what people expect him to be. He's a £25-30 mil striker which gets you a goal every 3 games roughly. Good spell he goes 1 goal in 2 for a while, bad spell 1 in every 5 or 6. 

Harry Kane will get you a goal every game and a half roughly, but he'll cost £125mil.

I suppose it's what the owners want to do really, we've now got a load of £15-30mil players, which gets you about 10th in the premier league.

Thing is, he's not getting 1 in 3. He's goal return is actually 1 in 3.4 full games this season. That's subpar for a PL striker.

25-30m should get you somewhere in between 1 in 2.5-2.7 goals per full game imo. 

Edit: Nevermind, I forgot to include the Wolves match

Edited by Laughable Chimp

6 hours ago, turvontour said:

You expect a striker to score one on ones and not hit his strikes constantly at the player like he is the goal.

If their was a stat of a player finishing hitting it at the opposition player ollie would be top and nowhere near him.

As well as his finishing his hold up play has been so poor. Sell him and try get tammy back

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You get the sense he is absolutely at his peak right now.

Decent goal haul but bottom line is, if you want to be up there challenging for Europe you need a striker who can trap a bag of cement. You need an all round focal point.. unless you're Man City.

He's so poor in so many areas.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, PaulC said:

But it’s a ruthless sport and “not missing by much” just doesn’t cut the mustard in those instances. If it was a 5 a side kick about you’d say to him unlucky that was close, but this is the Premier League, it’s cut throat, and his finishing just wasn’t good enough. Fair play to him for winning the penalty but by god it was lucky that when it hit the post it bounced in and not out

Â