Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

If you told me at the end of last season these would be the comments I would’ve laughed but a lot of those comments are pretty spot on for various games this season unfortunately.  

The worse part is that some of these will be likely said tomorrow night after the game, well far more likely than really positive comments about him.  Nobody can see into the future but if I was a betting man I bet I wasn’t far wrong which is horrifying pregame for me, that after the season so far I don’t expect much from him.  Hopefully if he does have a poor game he at least scores.  Fingers crossed he plays well and scores.

So if you're not feeling Watkins' performances, and disagree with my thoughts about playing Davis (if we had him obvs), I'm assuming Ings is your man?

1 minute ago, Chicken Field said:

I think people greatly underestimate how much difference confidence can effect a player and he is definitely low in confidence, you dont just lose ability over a summer. Last season no one, or at most very few,  questioned his technique, passing, hold up play etc etc.

Sorry, but I genuinely did.

Just now, Chicken Field said:

I think people greatly underestimate how much difference confidence can effect a player and he is definitely low in confidence, you dont just lose ability over a summer. Last season no one, or at most very few,  questioned his technique, passing, hold up play etc etc. His hold up play and workrate were immaculate last season. Running becomes heavier when low in confidence and the running he does is not noticed, as its less effective.

The kid just needs a proper confidence boost and he'll be an absolute baller again.

99.999999% strikers occasionally have bad seasons and rough patches.

I hope so, my concern is that he was a one season wonder at this level.  Sometimes players look great for one season and then fade the next season and onwards and become very average.  I’m really praying he isn’t one of those.

20 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I hope so, my concern is that he was a one season wonder at this level.  Sometimes players look great for one season and then fade the next season and onwards and become very average.  I’m really praying he isn’t one of those.

22 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

So if you're not feeling Watkins' performances, and disagree with my thoughts about playing Davis (if we had him obvs), I'm assuming Ings is your man?

We are certainly not in a position were we can discard potentially good players when they have rough patches. We need to show players some patience and room to grow. 

There is a risk he'll never reach last seasons levels, but he defo showed a lot of quality and if he performs again, the rewards will be worth it. 

Someone suggested that we should have signed Toney when he was in league 1, he would have been booed and criticed and never have been offered the space to improve here. Villa fans (me included) are impatient and are unwilling to support players through difficult times

Edited by Chicken Field
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Tom13 said:

Out of choices yes.  He’s not been in great form but out of the three I would play him.  Davis isn’t PL quality, Watkins is bang off form so I’d play Ings.  Honestly given our choices I’d play Watkins and Ings together with Coutinho behind them but if one striker then yes Ings.  Then sort it out n the summer.

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Out of choices yes.  He’s not been in great form but out of the three I would play him.  Davis isn’t PL quality, Watkins is bang off form so I’d play Ings.  Honestly given our choices I’d play Watkins and Ings together with Coutinho behind them but if one striker then yes Ings.  Then sort it out n the summer.

Davis is PL quality, he's being played in the wrong position. 

23 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Davis is PL quality, he's being played in the wrong position. 

Where do you want to play him? I’m not sure he’s goalkeeper material 😉

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Where do you want to play him? I’m not sure he’s goalkeeper material 😉

I've said this before a couple times in this thread, and it will never happen, but I cannot help feel that if he was given the Joelinton treatment and moved back into a midfield role, his power, presence and frankly ability on the ball would shine. 

He lacks the absolute cutting edge finishing to be a top striker in the PL but he is without a doubt a high quality footballer. 

(Sorry for derailing the OW thread... again)

Edited by Steero113
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

I've said this before a couple times in this thread, and it will never happen, but I cannot help feel that if he was given the Joelinton treatment and moved back into a midfield role, his power, presence and frankly ability on the ball would shine. 

He lacks the absolute cutting edge finishing to be a top striker in the PL but he is without a doubt a high quality footballer. 

(Sorry for derailing the OW thread... again)

He might not be a 20+ goal a season striker, but that doesn't mean he can't be an asset to us.  Look at Michail Antonio, he's not gonna break any goal scoring records, but he's quite an important player for West Ham.

39 minutes ago, Chicken Field said:

Someone suggested that we should have signed Toney when he was in league 1, he would have been booed and criticed and never have been offered the space to improve here. Villa fans (me included) are impatient and are unwilling to support players through difficult times

If we’d signed Toney we would have had to listen to him saying ”**** Villa” in video clips and answer ”Where I’m playing? Nowhere exciting”. Not worth it.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, duke313 said:

How do you know? He has never really got a fair run of games with us.  He's doing pretty well in the Championship.

Because he has played at PL and apart from a few moments he has been poor.  Even when he was young and getting regular Championship games with us, I never thought he had the quality for the next level up and it showed when we got higher.  

On top of that for a striker his goals tally is not just poor but almost non-existent so even the argument of it’s not all about goals I agree with but strikers of any type need some goals.  

He’s 24 years old, been through a few managers and none have really trusted him over the other strikers they have.  We are past the level where we need to worry now, let him go and play his level and bring in the money to reinvest elsewhere.

11 minutes ago, duke313 said:

He might not be a 20+ goal a season striker, but that doesn't mean he can't be an asset to us.  Look at Michail Antonio, he's not gonna break any goal scoring records, but he's quite an important player for West Ham.

He did break the West Ham Premier League goals record 

Incredibly its even lower than the Villa one 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Because he has played at PL and apart from a few moments he has been poor.  Even when he was young and getting regular Championship games with us, I never thought he had the quality for the next level up and it showed when we got higher.  

On top of that for a striker his goals tally is not just poor but almost non-existent so even the argument of it’s not all about goals I agree with but strikers of any type need some goals.  

He’s 24 years old, been through a few managers and none have really trusted him over the other strikers they have.  We are past the level where we need to worry now, let him go and play his level and bring in the money to reinvest elsewhere.

He hasn't been trusted over others purely because of a lack of goals. Smith actually did trust him for a run of games in 19/20, in which he performed well. Injuries haven't helped him either.

7 hours ago, nick76 said:

He's still likely to get ten this season. Which there aren't too many ahead of. 

33 minutes ago, nick76 said:

As I’ve said, it’s not just his goals though is it.

Think he'd look far more of an asset in a team that presses high up the pitch. We don't anymore and have lost a big part of his strengths. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Dale said:

Think he'd look far more of an asset in a team that presses high up the pitch. We don't anymore and have lost a big part of his strengths. 

And me, saw the club post on their social media highlights from us beating spurs last season, look at the second goal it's purely down to the high press, he was brilliant at it

Said somewhere else his pressing was a big part of what made our defence better between years 1 and 2

To be fair it had seemingly stopped working under Smith too let alone Gerrard, he just doesn't seem to have that bulldog energy and desire anymore 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 3

Â