Academy General Topic

smetrov

1 minute ago, mikeyp102 said:

Seeing  Evertons kids  stepping straight into the first and impressing really shows how much our youth team has failed recently. 

I think the lack of trust in our youth is much more a reflection on where the first team has been for the past year.  We couldn't blood them last season in that absolute sh*tfest or we'd have destroyed them - or at best set them back a bit.  This season the early stages were very much on immediate promotion and, as such, again we needed proven experience as we didn't want to risk dropping points whilst they learned on the job.  The fact we dropped them anyway is neither here nor there.  I don't think the youth team has failed in that sense.  I think the likes of RHM (yes, I know, contract) would walk into the first team ahead of Gabby for instance.  Maybe when Bruce has steadied it all and gotten his own balance of personnel in then we might see a controlled introduction of the better youth players making an appearance. 

• Like 2

Oh I agree the teams's position the last few years hasn't helped. Grealish, Robinson Johnson etc should all have played at a younger age to develop further, but fighting relegation year on year has meant they couldn't. But even when they do make an appearance they appear "boy like" and under undeveloped. When other teams field teenagers they all seem to have "men's physiques"

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Oh I agree the teams's position the last few years hasn't helped. Grealish, Robinson Johnson etc should all have played at a younger age to develop further, but fighting relegation year on year has meant they couldn't. But even when they do make an appearance they appear "boy like" and under undeveloped. When other teams field teenagers they all seem to have "men's physiques"

I agree

Thats been my main bone of contention with our academy.....for me its a concern.

I also think at that age the physique affects the mental confidence.....unless of course you have a mercurial talent that just defies all the logic.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BOF said:

I think the lack of trust in our youth is much more a reflection on where the first team has been for the past year.  We couldn't blood them last season in that absolute sh*tfest or we'd have destroyed them - or at best set them back a bit.  This season the early stages were very much on immediate promotion and, as such, again we needed proven experience as we didn't want to risk dropping points whilst they learned on the job.  The fact we dropped them anyway is neither here nor there.  I don't think the youth team has failed in that sense.  I think the likes of RHM (yes, I know, contract) would walk into the first team ahead of Gabby for instance.  Maybe when Bruce has steadied it all and gotten his own balance of personnel in then we might see a controlled introduction of the better youth players making an appearance. 

In part i'd agree with that. Everton have a really solid team. But I would say that Koeman has a habit of trusting young players whereas we do not. Lambert especially decimated any youth improvements because he favoured his own tripe rather than the guys who came through. I guess Bruce has a v tough job and doesn't want to be singled out for a mistake.

However if Gabby is better than Davis then I might as well lace up again. There is no excuse for letting him have more than 45 minutes when he does so little to affect the game, you might as well play a kid and tell him, 'don't worry, just touch the ball twice and make a good pass and I'll be delighted'.

Having been a young player playing against pro's (rugby, not football) I came on leaps and bounds by getting battered and it allowed me time to reflect. A good manager recognises the value in that and understands how to influence the perception of a performance....perhaps we have another manager who struggles to help players reflect,....

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TRO said:

I agree

Thats been my main bone of contention with our academy.....for me its a concern.

I also think at that age the physique affects the mental confidence.....unless of course you have a mercurial talent that just defies all the logic.

To a point, but talent, whichever way it is manifested requires good coaching. And good coaching can progress mental capacity to a level which starts to negate any physical impediment.

Edited by itdoesntmatterwhatthissay

5 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

The u23s are playing Middlesbrough tonight at Villa Park, it's a 7pm kick off and I'm going with Noel

It's also being streamed live on the offical Facebook page, for those unable to get down to the ground

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mozzavfc said:

It's also being streamed live on the offical Facebook page, for those unable to get down to the ground

Thank you, just tuned in.

Probably more exciting than the senior team at the moment!

Andre Green so unlucky, super curling shot from 25 yards back off the inside of the post. 2nd time hes hit the post tonight according to the commentary. Hope Bruce is watching this

watched about 10 minutes.  A few things were puzzling.  When one of those underdeveloped, non-manly physiqued kids in claret and blue had the ball.  Several others were running about toward open green space.  Is that legal?

Not always mind you, but pretty often, it seemed like the one with the ball might have a clue where his mates might run to.

maybe the first team should consider trying those ideas... if they are legal of course.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

watched about 10 minutes.  A few things were puzzling.  When one of those underdeveloped, non-manly physiqued kids in claret and blue had the ball.  Several others were running about toward open green space.  Is that legal?

Not always mind you, but pretty often, it seemed like the one with the ball might have a clue where his mates might run to.

maybe the first team should consider trying those ideas... if they are legal of course.

Pretty sure it's not allowed in the real game. I think you have to try and put an opposing player between you and the player with the ball at all times, giving as few options as possible for the player with the ball. Extra points for being completely static and just letting the opposition have the ball back. 

• Like 1

Â