Academy General Topic

smetrov

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Brilliant that we have a Clark and a Clarke coming through.

VT will explode when they're both playing in the first team in a few years!

They're both very good players and have a chance of getting in the first team

• Like 2

On 01/02/2017 at 19:40, OutByEaster? said:

And just to back up SGC on that one, these youth games are fantastic entertainment for next to nothing on a Saturday afternoon, Villa Park looks wonderful and you'll be surprised at how quickly you become invested in players you didn't know existed just because they're in a Villa shirt.

That's precisely what I got from keeping the old VT reserves thread updated and I really miss that.  You don't just learn about your own players - but by McGrath DO you learn about your own players - you also quickly learn about the hot prospects in every team and generally become familiar with the league as if it was the main one.  Even moreso in fact because your own interest in a reserve or development league becomes one of your only sources of info into it, as the league won't have the array of websites dedicated to telling you everything there is to know about it, so you have to do your own digging.

To this day I still see names dotted about the leagues of players I would have come across years before their debuts.

You of course have the added level of being able to pop down and see them in the flesh, and for that I will always be jealous (in a nice way!)

• Like 4

I am heartened to hear of good individuals.

In my view, there is only ONE team......The first team.

so its individuals that you look for in a youth or academy side.....that's not to say their ability to play in a team should be ignored.

My point is, its the business of getting players to make that step up to the first team that is more important than Youth cups.......However sometimes those things can go hand in hand.....but not always.

Wayne Rooney, was a good example.

We win the cup......they (Everton )get him.

• Like 1

U17 team beat Spurs 2-1, couldn't recognise any of the players apart from Kieran Boucher, the keeper who impressed, hopefully there will be a report on the OS, Mason Birch played up front too. I had a brainwave and Dominic Revan, an u16 played at centre back and impressed me again, he's very dominant and quick across the ground, that's all I can remember 

Edited by sir_gary_cahill
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Did you read the match report on Spurs Odyssey SGC?

It's very very Spurs biased, but there were some interesting notes on our group.

Thanks, I've read it, I've just read it again and Spurs had the better of the play but they weren't as on top as suggested in that article. We defended resolutely throughout and were ruthless when we had possession 

Edited by sir_gary_cahill

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/02/28/aston-villa-warned-bullying-young-players-u-23-coach-kevin-macdonald/

Aston Villa have been ordered to make “sweeping and vigorous” changes to welfare protection for academy players after a Premier League inquiry found “evidence of bullying, aggressive behaviour and unacceptable language” by Kevin MacDonald, currently Villa’s under-23 coach.

The complaints against MacDonald by a youth player and his family who have asked not to be named led to a stern warning to the club, who were relegated to the Championship last season but were under the Premier League’s jurisdiction when some of the alleged offences were committed.

In 2012, Villa were granted Category One status under the League’s Elite Player Performance Plan. They have been placed on warning and details of MacDonald’s alleged conduct passed to the Football Association for consideration.

In the letter from the Premier League, seen by The Daily Telegraph, the father of a Villa academy player is told: “League officials are expected to have a regular presence in the club over the coming months to assess the club’s progress with implementing these actions. Failure to do so could have significant ramifications for the club.”

Edited by Avfc96

Â