Premier League 2020-21 thread

Jareth

Not related at all, but just an example of our these people think.

It is not sufficient that I succeed – all others must fail.”

In 1988 the powerful software mogul Larry Ellison (Lawrence J. Ellison) of Oracle Corporation employed a variant of the saying. But he suggested that he was restating the philosophy of a famous warlord.

Mr. Ellison, whose 29 percent stake in the company is worth about $268 million, uses another historical reference to describe Oracle’s competitive stance. “Our idea of the most aggressive sales vice president is Genghis Khan,” he said. Paraphrasing the Mongol leader’s philosophy, he added: “It is not sufficient that I succeed – all others must fail.”

Larry Ellison - current net worth $78 billion USD

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The people behind this have been planning this for some time and have waited for the right opportunity to strike, fantastic news, a worldwide pandemic, lets strike while they are suffering. Absolute animals, they should be punished heavily. Hefty points deduction, Champs league bans etc etc, never going to happen though.

3 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

Not related at all, but just an example of our these people think.

It is not sufficient that I succeed – all others must fail.”

In 1988 the powerful software mogul Larry Ellison (Lawrence J. Ellison) of Oracle Corporation employed a variant of the saying. But he suggested that he was restating the philosophy of a famous warlord.

Mr. Ellison, whose 29 percent stake in the company is worth about $268 million, uses another historical reference to describe Oracle’s competitive stance. “Our idea of the most aggressive sales vice president is Genghis Khan,” he said. Paraphrasing the Mongol leader’s philosophy, he added: “It is not sufficient that I succeed – all others must fail.”

Larry Ellison - current net worth $78 billion USD

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The people behind this have been planning this for some time and have waited for the right opportunity to strike, fantastic news, a worldwide pandemic, lets strike while they are suffering. Absolute animals, they should be punished heavily. Hefty points deduction, Champs league bans etc etc, never going to happen though.

They're sick in the head. Just psychopaths.Unfortunately our society rewards psychopathy.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Zatman said:

yeah it goes to the next team then who I think is Palace, we are about 16th on the food chain

How?! They haven’t even been back in the premier league that long. I do not understand the criteria for West Ham or Southampton, teams I vaguely recall being relegated a few times from the premier league. 

44 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

How?! They haven’t even been back in the premier league that long. I do not understand the criteria for West Ham or Southampton, teams I vaguely recall being relegated a few times from the premier league. 

Palace have been up since 2013, West Ham and Southampton 2012

Apparantly the F.A. have a 'golden share' in the Prem League system when it comes to changing its voting constitution - which means they can veto any changes. And they hate the plan. Pretty sure we'll see some money handed over soon and not much else. Hopefully someone will come up with a better way forwards that'll prevent the likes of Man U and Liverpool owners fro trying to grab al the power ever again. 

Disappointed but not surprised to see that Rick Parry has not resigned.

It again is worth asking, as he claims, that if all 92 clubs back him, which two are willing to be kicked out to the Premier League big six? He’s poison for the lower leagues. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Is that for real?!

No its a page I saw on Twitter taking the piss out of punditry and the media BUT its definitely the sort of crap the Premier League executives were thinking

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

No its a page I saw on Twitter taking the piss out of punditry and the media BUT its definitely the sort of crap the Premier League executives were thinking

I was thinking £700 for one game, damn. 

Why not exclusive screenings? Each game sold to the highest bidder & they’re the only person in the world to see it.

The rest of us have to deal with Twitter updates like:

56’ Goal Liverpool. Salah. 3-0.

1 hour ago, YouUnastanFren said:
1 hour ago, Hornso said:

Why not exclusive screenings? Each game sold to the highest bidder & they’re the only person in the world to see it.

I think Wu-Tang Clan used this model to sell one of their albums. Makes as much sense as expecting us to pay £15 per game

I remember that auction. It went back, back and forth and forth and back, back and forth and forth. And so on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 14/10/2020 at 09:30, Zatman said:

Palace have been up since 2013, West Ham and Southampton 2012

Yet another example of the short memories of the PL. I knew football didn't exist before the PL began for them, but it now seems that having been a founder member of both the league and the PL counts for nothing, if you have recently spent a couple of years out of the PL. :rolleyes:

Another article from The Times today, about what happened at the Project Big Picture meeting and the aftermath: 

The Premier League clubs and the FA yesterday stopped the proposed revolution of English football in its tracks after even Liverpool and Manchester United’s representatives caved in without a fight at an emergency meeting. Club chairmen who had anticipated a fiery exchange with Tom Werner, the Liverpool chairman, and Ed Woodward, the United executive vice-chairman, were stunned by their meek acceptance of a decision to formally reject the Project Big Picture (PBP) plan. Instead the clubs agreed to speed up a strategy review that Premier League chiefs insist was already planned and to ensure that all 20 members are involved in the discussions. They also agreed a new £50 million bailout for League One and League Two clubs only and not the Championship.

The meeting was called after last weekend’s announcement of the PBP’s aims — put forward by Liverpool’s owner John Henry and United’s co-owner Joel Glazer and backed by Rick Parry, the EFL chairman. The plan would have handed all voting powers to the top nine teams in an 18-team Premier League and hugely increased their financial income but ran up against opposition from a large majority of the top-flight clubs.

The Times revealed online yesterday that the plan had been rejected by the clubs and this was confirmed by a Premier League statement which said: “All 20 Premier League clubs unanimously agreed that Project Big Picture will not be endorsed or pursued by the Premier League, or the FA.” Everton, Southampton and West Ham United, who would have been given special status alongside the big six under the proposals, all spoke out passionately against the plan according to other club officials in the meeting.

A source close to Henry and Glazer insisted they felt vindicated despite the rejection because they had forced a review of issues such as TV rights and income distribution and reducing the size of the league to 18. Premier League insiders, however, insisted that the PBP backers had been given “a bloody nose”.

The league said it would “work together as a 20-club collective on a strategic plan for the future structures and financing of English football, consulting with all stakeholders to ensure a vibrant, competitive and sustainable football pyramid”. The review will focus on competition structure, calendar, governance and financial sustainability.

After the meeting the Premier League’s chief executive Richard Masters denied that it had been forced into a review. “I don’t think we are being forced into doing a review, the review was already under way,” he said. “There has been no forcing of anybody. What has happened is that everyone is now focusing on it and today we agreed to do a different sort of review, focused on the big issues and at a quicker timescale. What we’re trying to do is do the main components by the end of the year.”

PBP has been driven by Liverpool’s owner John W Henry and president Mike Gordon, along with Manchester United’s co-owner Joel Glazer, but none of the trio faced the music at the league meeting, which was held by video conference. Instead Werner and Woodward only spoke very briefly to defend their right to discuss issues between themselves and then assented to the statement rejecting the project. However, there was irritation expressed about the role of Parry in the PBP, with some clubs suggesting he had attempted to destabilise the Premier League.

The top flight’s tactic in only offering a rescue package to League One and League Two may also serve to divide the EFL clubs. The £50 million package makes £20 million available in grants to League One and League Two clubs immediately with the other £30 million available to ensure that no League One or Two clubs go out of business. Masters said talks would continue about supporting the Championship financially, but many top-flight clubs have reservations about propping up the likes of Stoke City, who have billionaire owners. If support is to be made available for the second tier, it would almost certainly be via loans only. “We’ve announced a proposal we want to make to the EFL but it focuses on League One and Two because we believe these are the clubs that are perhaps most in need at this at this time,” Masters said.

The Premier League’s offer will be submitted to the EFL for approval, and while Masters said there was “frustration” that Parry had publicly endorsed the PBP plans, the relationship between the leagues would endure. The FA’s chairman Greg Clarke also spoke out against the project, reiterating that the governing body would use its special powers to prevent any breakaway league, such as the elite clubs joining the EFL. “I don’t think anybody breaking away is the right answer,” Masters said. The EFL said it will hold a meeting with all 72 clubs today to discuss the Premier League’s offer but was “encouraged” that there is “an acknowledgment that a review of the current status quo is required”.

Meanwhile, a group featuring Gary Neville, Andy Burnham, the mayor of Greater Manchester, former FA chairman David Bernstein, Mervyn King, former governor of the Bank of England, and David Davies, former FA executive director, will today reveal their own plans for an overhaul of the game by calling for an independent regulator to be appointed by the government if the game cannot reach agreement over greater financial redistribution.

• Like 2

I think an independent regulator is a good idea. How can you get 92 self interested businesses (because that is what clubs are now) agree to an overarching strategy that is in the best interest of the public when it will likely hurt their businesses?

They won’t unless forced to by a regulator. Football is too important to leave in the hands of money men. A regulator can make the hard decisions that clubs won’t.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, mikeyjavfc said:

I think an independent regulator is a good idea. How can you get 92 self interested businesses (because that is what clubs are now) agree to an overarching strategy that is in the best interest of the public when it will likely hurt their businesses?

They won’t unless forced to by a regulator. Football is too important to leave in the hands of money men. A regulator can make the hard decisions that clubs won’t.

We also have a Villa fan (Mervyn King) on the group that are suggesting this. 

3 hours ago, mikeyjavfc said:

Who sets the priorities for the regulator, and what priorities do they create regulations for? There is no consensus on a remit for a regulator IMO.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Who sets the priorities for the regulator, and what priorities do they create regulations for? There is no consensus on a remit for a regulator IMO.

Hope they get some proper g's in and not some young guns off the street

WARREN G Regulate lyrics typography poster art limited | Etsy

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Â