Pre Match Thread - Villa's Last Stand !

Paul33

7 hours ago, John said:

Games don't get much bigger than this one. There are “must win” games, but this is a “must at least match, Watford’s earlier result” game! They kick off against Manchester City at six tomorrow. Should they beat the league runners-up, as they have already beaten the league champions, then anything less than a win against cup-finalist’s Arsenal, would see us relegated. Both Manchester City and Villa, cannot allow that to happen!

We need to finish above two teams to pull off our great escape. We are already above Bournemouth, on goals scored and with a game in hand. We need to make sure that in our final two games of the season, we do no worse than Bournemouth do, in their last game at Everton. We need to at least get the same number of points and to maintain the parity in our goal differences, to stay above them.

We also need to get three more points from our last two games, than Watford do from their two, and to see them lose their present 4-goal advantage over us. That would leave our goal difference, at least the same as their one and we would then finish above them, on goals scored. We have currently scored 5 more goals than Watford and 2 more than Bournemouth.

Arsenal will arrive at Villa Park, having won an FA Cup semi-final at the weekend and that competition, now seems their most likely route to a European place, with them currently standing 10th in the league table. A Villa win would at the very worst take our relegation battle to the final day, but it might just draw us level with Watford on points, by tomorrow night.

Arsenal will prove a very tough nut to crack. I would love it, if they rested players and took their foot off the gas, for this one game, but also heavily outgunned Watford on the last day. I suspect however, that they will not be looking to do us any favours on Tuesday night and that we will need to fight like lions, to get something out of this game. A draw would see us definitely needing to win on the last day at West Ham, so let us win this one now!

We last beat our visitors at Villa Park in 1998, overturning a 2-0 half time deficit, to win 3-2 with our second half goals coming from, Julian Joachim and Dion Dublin (2). That tremendous win, took us back to the top of the league table for Christmas, heady days indeed! Arsenal have been undefeated in their subsequent league visits to Villa Park, having won 10 (including the last 3) and drawn the other 7. Overall, we have won 61 and have drawn 39 of the 175 league games, that there have been between the two clubs.

This will be our penultimate cup final this season and we certainly owe them one, from the last cup final that we played against them! They had the rub of the green to take all three points against us ten months ago. Let us take our unbeaten run to three tomorrow and get a second successive home clean sheet. Just win this one for us Villa! :flag:

I believe that was the game where that fella in a Santa outfit got caught on the Trinity Stand in his parachute and almost died

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

I believe that was the game where that fella in a Santa outfit got caught on the Trinity Stand in his parachute and almost died

He lost his leg in the end I remember reading somewhere years ago.

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I supposed if Watford get battered at the 6pm kick off Smith will probably put 10 men behind the ball and go all out for a 1-0 defeat.

That’s my worry in a weird way. His presser made me feel that. 

I’ve said this a few times, I live in Islington and I just know it written for these lot to batter us. Expecting one of their young players to net a couple that the lads in the local keep banging on about. 

1-4

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

He lost his leg in the end I remember reading somewhere years ago.

And married the nurse who looked after him in hospital. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, John said:

Games don't get much bigger than this one. There are “must win” games, but this is a “must at least match, Watford’s earlier result” game! They kick off against Manchester City at six tomorrow. Should they beat the league runners-up, as they have already beaten the league champions, then anything less than a win against cup-finalist’s Arsenal, would see us relegated. Both Manchester City and Villa, cannot allow that to happen!

We need to finish above two teams to pull off our great escape. We are already above Bournemouth, on goals scored and with a game in hand. We need to make sure that in our final two games of the season, we do no worse than Bournemouth do, in their last game at Everton. We need to at least get the same number of points and to maintain the parity in our goal differences, to stay above them.

We also need to get three more points from our last two games, than Watford do from their two, and to see them lose their present 4-goal advantage over us. That would leave our goal difference, at least the same as their one and we would then finish above them, on goals scored. We have currently scored 5 more goals than Watford and 2 more than Bournemouth.

Arsenal will arrive at Villa Park, having won an FA Cup semi-final at the weekend and that competition, now seems their most likely route to a European place, with them currently standing 10th in the league table. A Villa win would at the very worst take our relegation battle to the final day, but it might just draw us level with Watford on points, by tomorrow night.

Arsenal will prove a very tough nut to crack. I would love it, if they rested players and took their foot off the gas, for this one game, but also heavily outgunned Watford on the last day. I suspect however, that they will not be looking to do us any favours on Tuesday night and that we will need to fight like lions, to get something out of this game. A draw would see us definitely needing to win on the last day at West Ham, so let us win this one now!

We last beat our visitors at Villa Park in 1998, overturning a 2-0 half time deficit, to win 3-2 with our second half goals coming from, Julian Joachim and Dion Dublin (2). That tremendous win, took us back to the top of the league table for Christmas, heady days indeed! Arsenal have been undefeated in their subsequent league visits to Villa Park, having won 10 (including the last 3) and drawn the other 7. Overall, we have won 61 and have drawn 39 of the 175 league games, that there have been between the two clubs.

This will be our penultimate cup final this season and we certainly owe them one, from the last cup final that we played against them! They had the rub of the green to take all three points against us ten months ago. Let us take our unbeaten run to three tomorrow and get a second successive home clean sheet. Just win this one for us Villa! :flag:

I was there that night, think it was my last visit to VP before i moved away.  I would love to beat them again to keep hope alive!

• Like 1

I just can't see us winning this. Unless we get a last minute winner, we'll go into self-destruct mode as soon as we take the lead. I don't believe we're mentally strong enough to get the win.

I keep going round and round in my head about this game, thinking 'freak results happen in football all the time' or 'All we need is for David Luiz or Xhaka to do something stupid' and 'surely we are due for a flukey own goal or penalty decision' etc. 

But I thought the same against United, and then Liverpool before that and Chelsea before that etc. Seems we're just no good enough. I mean Arsenal pressed the self-destruct button at the Emirates against us and we still weren't good enough to get a point, let alone three (yes, yes, diabolical refereeing aside).

I'll still wake up in the morning and watch the match, and each minute we don't concede my hope will grow and then the inevitable will happen.

Please just **** prove me wrong Villa and I'll be the happiest idiot alive.

• Like 4

It’s just before 7am and I am already nervous. I’d accepted relegation weeks ago, what is happening! 

Something is telling me we’re going to do it. 

Davis needs to start ahead of Samatta and I’d keep the rest of the line up the same. 

Come on Villa. Please!?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

It’s just before 7am and I am already nervous. I’d accepted relegation weeks ago, what is happening! 

Something is telling me we’re going to do it. 

Davis needs to start ahead of Samatta and I’d keep the rest of the line up the same. 

Come on Villa. Please!?

Has anyone mentioned it is the hope that kills you . For the record I think we’re going to do it as well

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 1