Match Thread: Liverpool v Villa

limpid

Just now, Robtaylor200 said:

Not knocking it. We have shown fight, put in the tackles and chased the second ball, all i have been banging on about 

Carry this through to other games and I will be happy 

The determination we have lacked. Jack is really not got his game back since the break. Wouldn’t mind seeing Samatta on for Davis BEFORE The 70 min ‘Smith Substitution’ mark

Defensively sound but the attacking players have been exceptionally poor.

Trez isnt good enough, Grealish still hasn't turned up post lockdown, McGinn is off the pace.

Things are serious when Luiz is the best attacking player, and he is our DM.

Davis and El Ghazi have been ok, but we are asking a huge amount of average players.

I'd give Vassiliev a go for trez.  I'd actually take Taylor off, move konsa to CD, Hause to LB and put elmo at RB.  Maybe bring Guilbert in for ElGhazi a bit later.

I'd be tempted to take Grealish off, hes done so little, but who do you bring in?

McGinn having a great game. El Ghazi been pretty good too. Davis has done some decent supporting work as a defensive minded striker, that has eased some pressure on us, but he's definitely not looking like scoring. All in all, a much better first half than I was fearing. 

Worryingly Liverpool have Firmino and others on the bench that could expose us this half (as well as Salah and Mané on the pitch who don’t even look like they've started playing yet).  Let's hope we can hang on, Liverpool stay demotivated, and we keep getting chances on the break

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

McGinn is still slightly off the pace, I'd have Hourihane and Samatta on after an hour or so. 

The question is how we cover the flanks when the gas goes on Trez. Maybe leave Davis up there and put Samatta down the wing.

I'm not sure on hourihane, from what I've seen since lockdown he has been extremely guilty of hoofing the ball in to space when we are under pressure although I think he's been solid elsewhere.

We actually have a foothold in the game so I'd be reticent to change anything tbh.

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

McGinn is still slightly off the pace, I'd have Hourihane and Samatta on after an hour or so. 

The question is how we cover the flanks when the gas goes on Trez. Maybe leave Davis up there and put Samatta down the wing.

If jack is struggling, I'd put him out wide and hourihane through the middle. Half fit jack is better than trez. Or vassilev out wide perhaps? Lots of energy and work out there. Might not be natural but a decent option surely.

Mcginn is definitely closer to his old self, not quite there yet though. I like the suggestion of bringing Elmo on at RB, Konsa has done nothing wrong but the experience Elmo has might help us defensively in this second half. 

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Was thinking similar.

I'd like Samatta on with Davis but not sure we can afford to lose a man in midfield to play 2 up front.

Just now, flashingqwerty said:

Defensively sound but the attacking players have been exceptionally poor.

Trez isnt good enough, Grealish still hasn't turned up post lockdown, McGinn is off the pace.

Things are serious when Luiz is the best attacking player, and he is our DM.

Davis and El Ghazi have been ok, but we are asking a huge amount of average players.

I'd give Vassiliev a go for trez.  I'd actually take Taylor off, move konsa to CD, Hause to LB and put elmo at RB.  Maybe bring Guilbert in for ElGhazi a bit later.

I'd be tempted to take Grealish off, hes done so little, but who do you bring in?

Attacking wise there is no patterns of play.

It is all hit and hope.