U.S. Presidential Election 2020

maqroll

U.S. Presidential Election 2020  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

54 minutes ago, Xela said:

Do we think Trumps time is up? Or are the bookies/polls underestimating him again? 

Looking at the odds just one day before the 2016 election, Clinton was 1/5 and Trump 4/1 (oddschecker)

Biden is looking clear favourite this time... but can those odds be trusted? 

Article I read the other day was basically that Clinton was deeply unpopular and hence Trump won “against  the odds” but it wasn’t really that much of a shock (other than to the bookies it seems )

This time  around  if nothing else Trumps support hasn’t increased and Biden is significantly more popular than Clinton ... it would therefore seem Trump can’t win .

more important than anything else at stake with the US election , if Biden wins I might finally come off the axis of evil naughty step and have my travel ban to the USA overturned ,  

4 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

more important than anything else at stake with the US election , if Biden wins I might finally come off the axis of evil naughty step and have my travel ban to the USA overturned 

Apologies if this has been covered at length before and I just missed it, but:

...?

• Like 1

It is difficult to see a path to victory for Trump looking at the polls. The caveat is obviously that the polls have been wrong before but as George Bush used to say “Fool me twice something something...”. 

It could even be the case that polls are over correcting to make sure they don’t make the same mistake again and Biden actually has an even healthier lead. Or perhaps a bunch of quiet but angry Trump voters are going to come out of the woodwork on Tuesday and show us where the US is really at. 

I suppose we’ll find out next week.

Edited by LondonLax
  • Like 1

I hate to say it and dread the consequences if true but I can see Trump cheating/winning the election and remaining for a second term.

(i imagine if true, he’ll attempt to somehow legalise himself into power forever more too)

whatever happens I anticipate a swathe of violent protests in the states as a large proportion of the States is going to be disappointed on Wednesday...

14 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

It could even be the case that polls are over correcting to make sure they don’t make the same mistake again and Biden actually has an even healthier lead.

This is pretty important.  Polls just reset each time to correct what they missed the previous time. It's hardly ever asked why they were wrong the previous time.

In 2012, Romney was polled as likely to win two or three of the rust belt states.  Turned out a load of people they thought would vote for him didn't, Obama overperformed his polls and his -1 turned into +4 when the results happened. So the polls in 2016 (wrongly) assumed that particular demographic in that particular region wouldn't bother again. But they did, and the polls were wrong. They were no more wrong than they were in 2012, but because it didn't impact the overall predicted winner you didn't get smug pundits crowing over polls being terrible and pointless. 

This year they'll get something else wrong, and it won't be the same thing that gave the 2016 result. But it is pretty difficult to see what that something else is that means Trump (legitimately) wins.

Edited by ml1dch
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

whatever happens I anticipate a swathe of violent protests in the states as a large proportion of the States is going to be disappointed on Wednesday...

Agreed. Whoever loses, a lot of their supporters won't be able to accept the result. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Xela said:

Agreed. Whoever loses, a lot of their supporters won't be able to accept the result. 

Apparently Walmart has (temporarily) removed the guns and ammo from the shelves in their stores as they expect/fear violence and looting after the election..

Just to be clear you can still buy guns at most Walmart stores, but they don't have them on display as they don't want them to get stolen.

Edited by sne

12 minutes ago, sne said:

Apparently Walmart has removed the guns and ammo from the shelves in their stores as they expect/fear violence and looting after the election..

Just to be clear you can still buy guns at most Walmart stores, but they don't have them on display as they don't want them to get stolen.

Nice to know you can pick up a Colt 9mm with your bread, milk and 'grits'! 

13 minutes ago, sne said:

Apparently Walmart has (temporarily) removed the guns and ammo from the shelves in their stores as they expect/fear violence and looting after the election..

They've backtracked and started restocking as of today after a backlash.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Apologies if this has been covered at length before and I just missed it, but:

...?

8 minutes ago, bickster said:

He's been to North Korea, therefore banned from the USA

Kinda the correct answer  but add in Iran , and Syria plus a second visit to North Korea and for some bizarre reason it’s flagged me as super mega high risk ... when I went back to the US embassy with my son to start the process of his application ( he came with me on the second DPRK visit ) I asked again about mine as it had been 14 months , he said no they never take that long let me check it for you ... tapped in my details and then went , oh , I see , hmm well yes you aren’t getting approved anytime soon 

I’m hoping it’s a Trump  thing rather than a US thing 

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, villakram said:

It is worth nothing that the polling firms that got it right in 2016 have this as a much closer race than the "mainstream" polls, e.g., MI is a toss-up in their eyes.

I suspect it is too. I simply think there's a very large group of voters who are embarrassed about voting Trump, but intend to. 

I fully expect him to win. That’s how fecked that nation is. They deserve him. 

Â