U.S. Presidential Election 2020

maqroll

U.S. Presidential Election 2020  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

I can't say I know all the ins and outs of USA politics but I have seen highlights from the latest debate and still can't help but think Joe Biden can't be the best the democrats have to offer can he. Just the fact he will be 78 next month so 82 by the time he has finished a first term should have been enough to suggest there should be someone more dynamic and without the baggage Biden has.

It reminds me of our recent elections in UK in that a good opposition/opposing leader should be able to wipe the floor with the incumbent government given their failings but the fact that some still think Trump is in with a shout suggests the opposition haven't quite got their act together.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I can't say I know all the ins and outs of USA politics but I have seen highlights from the latest debate and still can't help but think Joe Biden can't be the best the democrats have to offer can he. Just the fact he will be 78 next month so 82 by the time he has finished a first term should have been enough to suggest there should be someone more dynamic and without the baggage Biden has.

It reminds me of our recent elections in UK in that a good opposition/opposing leader should be able to wipe the floor with the incumbent government given their failings but the fact that some still think Trump is in with a shout suggests the opposition haven't quite got their act together.

It seemed like Biden was the most pragmatic choice when it came to attracting the white people that would be put off by having a woman or person of colour.  Sad I know, but it is obviously a priority to kick Trump out of the White House and Biden's choice of running mate was more important than usual as you would expect Harris to be most likely to take over.

• Thanks 1

Most hilarious thing I've heard for a long time was a Republican supporter on the radio this morning accusing Biden of being juvenile. Has he not been listening to Trump for the last four years? 

• Haha 1

Thought it worth mentioning that the NBC anchor did a much better job at controlling the debate than the wet lettuce from Fox.

Even though they said the mics would be on, one at a time, on a couple of occasions they both spoke and she did well considering. 

1 hour ago, Rds1983 said:

I voted Other... As pretty sure whatever happens Nobody will win. 

You need to think more broadly . . .

If Biden wins, Beltway think-tank guys will win; if Trump wins, corporate CEOs will win; and whoever wins, corporate lobbyists will win 🙂

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

You need to think more broadly . . .

If Biden wins, Beltway think-tank guys will win; if Trump wins, corporate CEOs will win; and whoever wins, corporate lobbyists will win 🙂

I'm thinking long term and stand-by my decision that nobody wins out of this. 

On 18/10/2020 at 13:05, HanoiVillan said:

Always a question though, to what extent this is simply cannibalising the election day vote.

True, but it looks as though the 2020 vote is going to be significantly higher than the 2016 vote.

50 million votes have now been cast. Around 138m votes last time so well over a third of last time's total already in. 

The reports I've read suggest they're expecting a 15-20m increase from 2016. And while nothing is set in stone, none of the available information suggests that Trump has significantly increased his support from last time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ml1dch said:

True, but it looks as though the 2020 vote is going to be significantly higher than the 2016 vote.

50 million votes have now been cast. Around 138m votes last time so well over a third of last time's total already in. 

The reports I've read suggest they're expecting a 15-20m increase from 2016. And while nothing is set in stone, none of the available information suggests that Trump has significantly increased his support from last time.

Yes, that's a very good point. The scale of early voting is something I hadn't quite got my head around when I wrote that comment. It certainly looks like a very big year for turnout (by US standards).

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

I’m certainly no fan of Trump and his supporters but you should be able to drive your car or wear supporter gear without being attacked, even if it’s in New York. 

Hmmmmm. It seems very clear to me that they were there to antagonize not to "support." That's where we are sadly, but that was their intent.

Could you see a peaceful gay pride parade in Tuscaloosa, AL*  ?**

*(Insert any pro Trump county)

** as an example

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Hmmmmm. It seems very clear to me that they were there to antagonize not to "support." That's where we are sadly, but that was their intent.

** as an example

That’s a bit of a dangerous path to go down, justifying or equivocating attacking people who have a different political view to yourself. 

5 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

** as an example

It didnt seem that way to me. They are entitled to support whoever they like. I didnt see them antagonising. Just demonstrating their support for trump.

I think its going to be  alot closer than the media is making it out to be. 

25 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think its going to be  alot closer than the media is making it out to be

Me too but hopefully the margin is big enough to absorb the Trump supporters who keep it secret.

Â