U.S. Presidential Election 2020

maqroll

U.S. Presidential Election 2020  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

9 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

It's arguably *somewhat* a fairer way to do it, at least in small states with only 2 or 3 congressional districts or states whose congressional district boundaries have been drawn by nonpartisan/bipartisan commissions. Otherwise though, you end up with the problem of the presidential vote being affected by gerrymandered congressional district lines. For example, Obama won Ohio twice, by winning the statewide vote, and although it has become redder since then it could still be won by a Democrat in a big year, but there's no way Democrats can take a majority of its gerrymandered congressional districts.

Yeah this is spot on. Proportionate distribution  of EC votes is much more democratic, but until you can ensure those votes are split evenly, then it won't be democratic. I wonder if they could grant the votes based on % of popular vote per state? Then you'd have some issues with rounding in States with small amounts of EC votes.

20 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

With Donny looking to lose, and Putin to step down, are we in for sustained better times or the beginning of even worse in a few years?

Worse. Trumpism isn't going anywhere and Putin would be 'stepping down' only symbolically.

Edited by snowychap
Take away p
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Seat68 said:

If my shonky maths is correct. Of the 1843 votes counted between updates Trump only received 25% of those votes. 

Two factors there:
Biden voters are overwhelmingly more likely to vote by mail, even in 'Trump' counties for (flattering reason) Trump told them not to and (unflattering reason) Biden supporters take COVID seriously :mrgreen:

39 minutes ago, sidcow said:

It's probably fair to say that if the Democrats had put up a slightly more suitable candidate than the doddery old man with dubious background issues, they probably would have won it by a landslide isn't it?

Well maybe or maybe not. Biden centrist ground has built up the coalition to probably take him over the line. He has crucially appealed to some of the old lost working class democrat vote which Clinton did less well on, and that has carried him Wisconsin, Michigan and probably Pennsylvania. He has done actually a bit worse in the black and latino vote than Hilary but those votes in the swing states up north as not as quite as important.

A small point is that perhaps the Libertarian vote although small (about 1.2% nationwide) probably has picked up some more liberal minded republican vote  (as in small government, non foreign intervention, balanced budgets) than democrat and that might have also helped swing it.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

Can Trump resign to avoid being beat? I wouldn’t put it past him.

Doubt it, he's going full Untergang in his bunker, Melania will leave him and his slimy cabinet will slowly resign, starting with the Defense secretary.

15 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

I'm pretty sure Harris would be President, given it's a joint ticket.

But @HanoiVillanknows everything about this sort of thing, so would defer to his judgement. 

That's very kind, but I'm actually not completely confident about this one. There are some scenarios laid out in this article: https://www.vox.com/21502447/trump-biden-death-what-happens

The TL/DR is that it's complicated by when the death happens. If Biden died before the electoral college votes in December, Harris would likely become president, per the 20th amendment: “If, at the time fixed for the beginning of the term of the President, the President elect shall have died, the Vice President elect shall become President.”

If it happens after the electoral college votes, but before the inauguration, it's less clear, but probably the same thing.

I think in practical political reality, it would be very hard not to make Harris the president. Nobody else would have any reasonable claim to a mandate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â