U.S. Presidential Election 2020

maqroll

U.S. Presidential Election 2020  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

14 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Ehhh, I have to agree. In the States there is no unbiased news. Only news entertainment with stakeholders and shareholders. CNN don't have to be neutral because they aren't trying to be.

Hilarious though.

I get wound up by the BBC and Sky. I can't imagine relying on these  infotainment outlets for my news. You're quite right, none of them are real news. People just pick the entertainment that they agree with. There's not even a fig leaf of impartiality. Calling them fake news is probably the most true thing Trump has said (admittedly still only a half truth, he thinks Fox is great). 

6 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I'm almost trying to play devil's advocate here. We are all laughing at CNN and their descriptions etc but is this normal? Really?

I get you Stefan, but I think this is such a bizarre event that it's difficult to understand how a network could / should react.

I think CNN have done a good job, and it's the channel I've been glued to. I think the hosts are intelligent and articulate and have done well in keeping the whole event going.

Obviously they're not aligned with Trump, but I think they've been pretty transparent with the reporting, without having to find the need to shoe-in a Trump defender to desparatly find balance where balance isn't warranted. 

1 minute ago, StanBalaban said:

I think CNN have done a good job, and it's the channel I've been glued to.

I 100% agree and I hope they're in line for some award recognition after it. Brilliant coverage, especially John King.

I just think describing the sitting President as an obese turtle, whilst funny, does nothing to dispel the anger in half of the population that 1) the news is biased 2) the other side are sneering elitists

Edited by StefanAVFC

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

I 100% agree and I hope they're in line for some award recognition after it. Brilliant coverage, especially John King.

I just think describing the sitting President as an obese turtle, whilst funny, does nothing to dispel the angry in half of the population that 1) the news is biased 2) the other side are sneering elitists

I work with a couple of Americans and, irrespective of their party, they hold the office of the President to the highest order.

For Trump to have delivered that speech, as President, from the White House, must have hurt a lot of Americans deeply. I think Cooper has a fair amount of licence to riff on the channel, and his remarks were borne from the sheer disrespect of Trump for the office more than anything else.

Just now, StanBalaban said:

I work with a couple of Americans and, irrespective of their party, they hold the office of the President to the highest order.

For Trump to have delivered that speech, as President, from the White House, must have hurt a lot of Americans deeply. I think Cooper has a fair amount of licence to riff on the channel, and his remarks were borne from the sheer disrespect of Trump for the office more than anything else.

Sure, but this wasn't a unique speech. This was one of many, just as insane, delivered by Trump during the last 4 years. And what happened? Nearly 70m still voted for him. I would say a majority of those would look at that and say that CNN are fake or Libs are sneering elitists. 

You win elections, you win power by appealing to everyone. CNN didn't even try with that statement.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

You win elections, you win power by appealing to everyone. CNN didn't even try with that statement.

I know this is touching on the previous point of them not being real news, but this isn't and should not be CNN's role.

It's not their place to "appeal to everyone". They're not the Democrat Party Broadcaster. Their role is to report on what is happening, not to persuade people people who to vote for. 

3 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Sure, but this wasn't a unique speech. This was one of many, just as insane, delivered by Trump during the last 4 years. And what happened? Nearly 70m still voted for him. I would say a majority of those would look at that and say that CNN are fake or Libs are sneering elitists. 

Probably right. It's like having a BBC newsreader saying "At today's press briefing, Boris Johnson talked a total load of bollocks to cover up his government's total incompetence in managing the COVID-19 pandemic". It would be true, but they'd never do it. Maybe Emily Maitlis might be tempted. 

5 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I'm not so sure.  The Republican who was on CNN and still giving it loads before the speech pretty much caved in afterwards.  And quite a few senior Republicans have criticised it publicly.  I think it may have been a bit too much for many of even his close supporters. It was a bit more than the normal rant.

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

I watched 20 minutes of CNN last night. I think I was probably part of their target demographic.

I thought it was **** awful.

It was as close to news as just watching Nish Kumar on the Mash report.

Out of interest, was there anything specifically that grinded thy gears?

Re: The turtle comment on CNN. I haven't seen it or heard it but it is important to understand who said it. Was it a CNN journalist / News Anchor / Presenter or was it someone invited into the studio or on air to comment?

There is a world of difference, depending on who said it

4 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

I know he's an Everton fan but that joke would work better with Man Utd.

Tell him yourself wimp.

I'm off to give Brock Lesnar a piece of my mind for a poorly executed punchline in a Summerslam promo.

• Haha 2

I’ve had CNN on for a few hours this morning. I can’t see what the problem is, it’s seems factually fine. There is a bias against Trump but that is completely self inflicted by Trump. You can’t be of sound mind and not talk about Trump without making him look bad. 

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

Re: The turtle comment on CNN. I haven't seen it or heard it but it is important to understand who said it. Was it a CNN journalist / News Anchor / Presenter or was it someone invited into the studio or on air to comment?

There is a world of difference, depending on who said it

It was the anchor Anderson Cooper.

• Thanks 1

Â