The Gravy Feud® and Other Gastronomic Delights

blandy

32 minutes ago, bickster said:

Well yes, because Luncheon, is a light meal and there's no way anything that came out of our school kitchens could be considered light, the stew would have dumplings you could shoot out of a canon

I used to have a dickie fit if I did not get the skin of the custard. We occasionally had tapioca as well which was rank

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Thats child abuse

In all fairness we had **** all and she did her best, This was the late 70s early 80s As you will probably remember was difficult for a lot of families. My birthday and Christmas present was the Villa season ticket for as long as I can remember., very grateful for this especially around that time. One bright spark from that era is my mum won £1000 on the Villa lottery in 1981 and she got presented with the money on the pitch with a big cheque The next day she took me and my sister to Carrefour in Sutton and we brought on an Atari 2600 with space invaders, the rest went towards Christmas

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Follyfoot said:

I used to have a dickie fit if I did not get the skin of the custard. We occasionally had tapioca as well which was rank

Jaysus. I would have puked if I'd got any rice pudding skin in my mouth. Horrific. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

While we're on the subject of correctly naming things, I've had ongoing issues with all sorts of people but predominantly the Scottish with the correct naming conventions for soft drinks. So much so that I've had to go to the trouble of manufacturing an infographic.

Screen Shot 2015-12-08 at 19.30.24.png

I trust this brings the matter to a close.

This is a cordial:

spacer.png

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

While we're on the subject of correctly naming things, I've had ongoing issues with all sorts of people but predominantly the Scottish with the correct naming conventions for soft drinks. So much so that I've had to go to the trouble of manufacturing an infographic.

Screen Shot 2015-12-08 at 19.30.24.png

I trust this brings the matter to a close.

I’m going to upset you.

“Cordial” I reserve almost exclusively for elderflower, lime and fancy ones like pomegranate. I’m pretty posh (I’m a lawyer from Oxford so I sound like I have a mahogany desk and leather bound books shoved up my arse) and so on behalf of the posh, we would be offended if someone called Robinson’s squash “cordial”.

Pop is a “soft drink” for me. I think pop is a Birmingham and upwards thing. We, the posh, disapprove.

What else could you possibly call juice?? I can’t believe that one would be disputed. 

When I lived in Kent, they, the bloody web footed southerners, thought it was babyish to call a can of pop, pop. They referred to it as a can of drink. Weirdos. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have very little access to squash and the little British shop here sells only Vimto. I don't like Vimto, it has that harsh chemical aftertaste. 

So I've gone all British expat and gone to the britishcornershop.co.uk and ordered Waitrose apple and blackberry essential squash. It'll probably come in about 3 weeks when my passing hankering for squash will have disappeared.

10 hours ago, Mjvilla said:

Looks bloody lovely to me blandy! Could do with a bit more gravy on those chips, otherwise... SPOT ON!!

You the man @Mjvilla . You’re 100% right. There was not quite enough gravy.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mjmooney said:

That sounds similar to Yorkshire pie and pies. Hot pork pie sitting a bowl of hot mushy peas, served with mint sauce. Cheap pub lunch specialty, with a pint. 

Pie and pies is Wigan 😁

Pie, peas and gravy is Lancashire.
pie and mint sauce! What in gods name do the yorkies think they’re doing, the sick puppies?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Jaysus. I would have puked if I'd got any rice pudding. Horrific. 

Fixed and I know why. I don't know if your school rice pudding came with  a blob of optional jam, ours did... anyway, I remember walking home from school, juniors (could have been infants but...) with my mother (she was a teacher in the school) and a girl in another group walking ahead of us wasn't well and threw up. Her puke was basically pink rice pudding. Nope not once ever have I eaten rice pudding since. Just can't

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Spoony said:

I’m going to upset you.

“Cordial” I reserve almost exclusively for elderflower, lime and fancy ones like pomegranate. I’m pretty posh (I’m a lawyer from Oxford so I sound like I have a mahogany desk and leather bound books shoved up my arse*) and so on behalf of the posh, we would be offended if someone called Robinson’s squash “cordial”.

Pop is a “soft drink” for me. I think pop is a Birmingham and upwards thing. We, the posh, disapprove.

What else could you possibly call juice?? I can’t believe that one would be disputed. 

* Derrière

3 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

What about our friendly lovable cockneys practice of putting chips on a breakfast? 

Putting chips on a cooked breakfast upgrades it to a "mixed grill" imo.

It is no longer a breakfast

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Putting chips on a cooked breakfast upgrades it to a "mixed grill" imo.

It is no longer a breakfast

Isn't it then classed as an 'All day breakfast'? 

Chips have their place. It's not at 8.30am nursing a morning glory, and regrets from the night before.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

l rice pudding came with  a blob of optional jam, ours did...

Hark at you and your posh school  ....  we got rose hip syrup on ours 

Â