The Gravy Feud® and Other Gastronomic Delights

blandy

It may have been discussed in this thread already, so apologies if so... Following on from the full English thread, I got chatting to a friend about the perfect Sunday roast.

Turns out he was quite militant about Yorkshires only being served with chicken. For me, Yorkshires are a part of any roast irrespective of whether it's chicken, lamb, beef or pork. I'd also have stuffing with any choice of meat too. 

Anyway, what would people deem a perfect roast? 

9 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

It may have been discussed in this thread already, so apologies if so... Following on from the full English thread, I got chatting to a friend about the perfect Sunday roast.

Turns out he was quite militant about Yorkshires only being served with chicken. For me, Yorkshires are a part of any roast irrespective of whether it's chicken, lamb, beef or pork. I'd also have stuffing with any choice of meat too. 

Anyway, what would people deem a perfect roast? 

If he's going to be militant then surely he should be militant about yorkshires with roast beef, anything else is a personal preference, beef and yorkshires is the classic.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

If he's going to be militant then surely he should be militant about yorkshires with roast beef, anything else is a personal preference, beef and yorkshires is the classic.

Well he's of the opinion it's chicken and Yorkshires. He's wrong. 

Took me years to convince my mom to serve Yorkshires and stuffing with every roast regardless of the meat

Beef = Yorkshires then mustard or horseradish 

Chicken = stuffing

Lamb = mint sauce

Pork = apple

I'll stick mustard with all of them too, love mustard 

Edit - and perfect roast is hard, I'm not even sure what meat I'd pick, probably lamb but I think thats because its more expensive eaten less frequently and therefore a bit special 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Took me years to convince my mom to serve Yorkshires and stuffing with every roast regardless of the meat

Chicken = stuffing

Lamb = mint sauce

Pork = apple

Edit - and perfect roast is hard, I'm not even sure what meat I'd pick, probably lamb but I think thats because its more expensive eaten less frequently and therefore a bit special 

Spot on!

Stuffing and Yorkshires are both great, so why not have both? We often have Yorkshires with chicken and stuffing. Stuffing with beef and Yorkshires but probably less often.

Big fan of mustard with most meats (probably too overwhelming for chicken though) and  horseradish with beef.

I occasionally put some mint in with peas or green beans, even if they aren't served with lamb.

Lamb (and beef rib roast) is also a favourite of mine, but again, eaten less because of the cost.

I enjoy eating pork (with apple sauce), but as it seems to rush through my system somewhat, I rarely choose it!

• Like 1

Just now, villa4europe said:

And anyone wondering what bread sauce goes with...

Bin bags 

I think I've only eaten bread sauce a couple of times. Once at a parents' Christmas dinner (it was too bland) and once at a proper carvery restaurant (not a chain or normal restaurant that also did a carvery), where the bread sauce was okay-ish.

Either way, bread sauce is another 'filler', like stuffing and Yorkshires but without the enjoyment!

20 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Wtf.

There’s no way boiled bacon is nice.

I’ve seen some weird shit in this thread but you’ve just won.

I've never cooked it in beans, but boiled bacon and cabbage is lovely (or at least I thought it was lovely back when I ate it)

48 minutes ago, brommy said:

Spot on!

Stuffing and Yorkshires are both great, so why not have both? We often have Yorkshires with chicken and stuffing. Stuffing with beef and Yorkshires but probably less often.

Big fan of mustard with most meats (probably too overwhelming for chicken though) and  horseradish with beef.

I occasionally put some mint in with peas or green beans, even if they aren't served with lamb.

Lamb (and beef rib roast) is also a favourite of mine, but again, eaten less because of the cost.

I enjoy eating pork (with apple sauce), but as it seems to rush through my system somewhat, I rarely choose it!

I'm with you on the mustard... love it and will have it with beef, lamb and pork. Love a mustardy flavour in a cauliflower cheese too.

Grown to love sprouts over the years, especially if done with some bacon.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, StanBalaban said:

Love a mustardy flavour in a cauliflower cheese too.

Me too and in mash potato

I'm dabbling with putting it in tuna mayo, partly to keep it wet but without half a bottle of mayo, it will work but I haven't perfected it yet, I've tried sriracha in there too but mustard is better 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

And anyone wondering what bread sauce goes with...

Bin bags 

I can't have a Christmas dinner without it - its a tradition. I'd probably enjoy my dinner more if I didn't have it, but hey ho.

There'll probably be some study in the future that finds that my MS has been caused by and worsened by bingeing bread sauce at Christmas, but will that stop me? No chance!

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Chicken = stuffing

Lamb = mint sauce

Pork = apple

No no no no

Beef - with whatever you want*

Chicken - with whatever you want*

Lamb  - with whatever you want*

Pork -  - with whatever you want*

*Except tomato ketchup 

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Chicken = stuffing

Lamb = mint sauce

Pork = apple

Yeah you do it right.

Same with my Mom too.  Yorkies only went with beef but managed to wear her down enough to put them with every roast eventually.

• Like 1

Â