The Gravy Feud® and Other Gastronomic Delights

blandy

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I love it, it's one of thr home foods I miss the most, a jar lasts me about a week

You're absolutely right though, even if you go with vintage chedder, really strong stuff, it still ends up being a Branston Pickle sandwich, I'm perfectly OK with that though

The german wife not so much... We've had conversations about me sleeping on the sofa due to eating it 😂

I gave some to her dad to try but he put it on something weird, basically created a combo that a pregnant woman will still frown upon and I can't for the life of me remember what it was, I just remember the horror of watching him eat it, might have been cold herring which is a thing here (and it's what they eat horseradish with) 

Herring to me would make some sense. I love a pickled herring but in similar vain I wonder if my wife might view it as an “irreconcilable difference”. 

3 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Well you see the fish? Next to it, there’s baked **** beans.

Didn't you ever have fish fingers and beans as a kid? Also, it's quite common to see cod with a tomato-based bean stew. It's basically the mid point of the two.

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

I ain't going to lie, I see absolutely nothing wrong with it. 

Well…

The beans are wrong with fish for a starter (don’t like beans anyway so that’s a given). As @bicksterpointed out, that lemon “wedge” has the core, what on Earth that sauce is on the side just looks wrong. The fish has an extra appendages and those chips look dry and tasteless. I also suspect that plate is Wetherspoons so you will end up putting your money in that twits back pocket. 

So nah, not much wrong with it! Think I would rather have the chippy gravy that @blandy gets, at least that looks relatively edible (barring the sacrilege of the gravy, but even that will probably be decent quality).  

14 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Didn't you ever have fish fingers and beans as a kid? Also, it's quite common to see cod with a tomato-based bean stew. It's basically the mid point of the two.

Yeah but that’s haddock 😑

23 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

No I don't think I ever did

My mom was a big parsley sauce fan, fish fingers growing up was always with mash, peas, parsley sauce and weirdly tinned tuna 

6 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

No I don't think I ever did

My mom was a big parsley sauce fan, fish fingers growing up was always with mash, peas, parsley sauce and weirdly tinned tuna 

La de da! Fish fingers, beans and oven chips for me.

3 hours ago, Seat68 said:

I am seeing a pattern regarding beans. 

bean juice is definitely a funny one. i like beans, but hate contamination with the rest of the meal. definitely need a separator with the chips

on a fry up though? contaminate away...in fact just pour the beans all over everything

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Seat68 said:

I actively dislike it, I like a pickle but not that. Awful stuff. 

When my wife was pregnant with the first one , her craving was Branson pickle on top of Branson pickle , table spoons straight out the jar !

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, mottaloo said:

@Demitri_C - could you please translate for me ? Thanks.

(potato) scallop in a bun, with some moisture provided by the liquid from cooking the peas. Tasty gorgeous.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, blandy said:

(potato) scallop in a bun, with some moisture provided by the liquid from cooking the peas. Tasty gorgeous.

No gravy ? 😉

17 hours ago, blandy said:

The liquid from cooking peas? Pea water???

I can’t imagine why people say our food is bad…

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Â