The Gravy Feud® and Other Gastronomic Delights

blandy

39 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Not gravy related, although you could mix this in to some, I bought a tub of ‘Kerala Mix’ yesterday. It’s much like Bombay mix, but with added banana chips and dried curry leaves. 

I bloody love the stuff but my missus thinks I’m depraved. She’s wrong, isn’t she?

8235930C-4D72-46C7-BCFE-14A9F493842C.jpeg

I just don’t see a situation where I’m picking it over crisps or nuts 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

I just don’t see a situation where I’m picking it over crisps or nuts 

Probably when you want to feel a spicy burn in the back of your throat. I get what your saying though. It’s definitely competing in that category. 

On 06/09/2022 at 08:21, Marka Ragnos said:

How do you British people most like to make your gravy at home? 

The same way I do in Canada now. 

Ingredients:

One wife
Kitchen and foodstuffs
Add water
Simmer

On 10/09/2022 at 15:16, KentVillan said:

Gravy goes on a roast. Any other use of gravy is disgusting. Others will disagree, but they are wrong.

You have lost my respect here ... unless you meant roast potatoes. 

Edited by fruitvilla

On 06/09/2022 at 16:21, Marka Ragnos said:

When you've cooked your roast, train off the excess fat. How do you British people most like to make your gravy at home? 

When you've finished roasing the meat, get rid of the excess fat so you're left with the juices and any meaty bits in the roasting tin. Add some flour and a bit of wine and some bay leaves or whatever. Reduce it down a bit, then gradually add some decent stock. Leave it to thicken then strain.

If you can’t be arsed to put as much effort (or more) into your gravy than the rest of your food, don’t even bother. We are talking about a liquid that COVERS all of your food. It therefore deserves the most attention but it is often forgotten. This is probably the only thing I’d get a little bit snobby about as I don’t understand why people don’t appreciate it’s importance  

I just made a roast and for the gravy I used the water from the par boiling of the roasties, I roasted carrots and onions for the gravy, that was all blitzed together and then when the bird/veggies were done I remove them from the roasting pan, roasting pan goes on the hob, add flour to the pan and create a kind of slurry, whack in your potato veggie blitzed goodness plus whatever else you’re putting in your gravy (stock, herbs, blackberry jam is a banging addition, garlic, etc). Any time you’re ditching anything from any pan when making a roast, ditch it into the gravy. If the bird comes with giblets cook those and get those in. 

• Like 1

On 04/09/2022 at 13:07, sidcow said:

Cottage Pie

Don't know why ... nostalgia hit me. My Mum used to take me to the BHS cafeteria and I would always order the cottage pie.

cnteenn.jpg

Edited by fruitvilla
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Sorry, had to move this to the correct thread. Tinned Spaghetti as a replacement for beans on a breakfast? 

Are you insane? 

I prefer spaghetti hoops to baked beans. Something about the texture of baked beans, I really don’t enjoy.

On the very rare occasion I have a fried breakfast, I can make do without either beans or hoops. Eggs, sausage, bacon, mushrooms, toast/bread, hash browns are more important. Ketchup is sufficient enough for me to act as the sauce of the meal.

And with that, I shall bid you adieu as I actively avoid this thread due to me reading a post in here that was revolting enough for me to spend the intervening time trying to erase it from my memory.

• Haha 2

Â