The Gravy Feud® and Other Gastronomic Delights

blandy

10 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Yes, we're agreed that a burger is a type of sandwich.

The next bit is madness, it's like saying no pizza should have cheese on it.

Cheese is a fundamental of pizza where butter is clearly not a fundamental of a sandwich, your analogy is more like no pizza should have pineapple on it. Which I'd agree with. 

9 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Cheese is a fundamental of pizza where butter is clearly not a fundamental of a sandwich, your analogy is more like no pizza should have pineapple on it. Which I'd agree with. 

Butter is as fundamental to sandwiches as cheese is to pizza. Not accepting that is taking the fun out fundamental.

I also would not have pineapple anywhere near a pizza.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

Butter is as fundamental to sandwiches as cheese is to pizza. Not accepting that is taking the fun out fundamental.

I also would not have pineapple anywhere near a pizza.

Unfortunately @bickster has shown cheese and pizza don't have to go together.

Earlier on you said butter on sandwiches was optional and depends on the sandwich. 

13 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Unfortunately @bickster has shown cheese and pizza don't have to go together.

Earlier on you said butter on sandwiches was optional and depends on the sandwich. 

Yes, I should say some sandwiches.

Here's a better analogy, which hopefully will resonate with you on your peculiar attitude to butter.

I have meals.

With some of those meals I have chips, with some meals I have rice, and with some meals I have pasta.

I would never say that because I like pasta more than rice that no meals should ever have rice, because there are meals on which I would prefer rice and indeed, there are meals on which any sane human being would expect to see rice. Rice is a natural part of those dishes, from both a cultural and culinary perspective and history has shown that the preference for the vast majority of people is to have rice with those meals.

Sandwiches are similar - not all sandwiches are the same, in the same way that not all meals are the same and as such, on some of those sandwiches, like perhaps the burger, you would not expect to see butter, but on others, say a ham salad, you'd expect to see butter. Individual preference remains, but there is an established cultural and culinary orthodoxy to which the vast majority would normally subscribe.

Scones are more specific, and perhaps more like pizza, if you order a pizza, you'd ordinarily expect to have it arrive with cheese, a pizza without cheese is an unusual thing. Scones are the same with butter, they would naturally and ordinarily be buttered, you don't have to if you don't want to, but it's very unusual not to have a scone without butter - you are the exception.

I fully support you in your decision not to have butter at all, perhaps you have an intolerance for dairy produce, or developed a phobia after an unexpected incident with a churn as a child, perhaps you're just a radical thinker, not constrained by the culture in which you live; however, I do think it's important that you recognise that your decision is exceptional and that it's possibly a little bit odd to attempt to apply it to others as an orthodox approach to spread.

Thank you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Yes, I should say some sandwiches.

Here's a better analogy, which hopefully will resonate with you on your peculiar attitude to butter.

I have meals.

With some of those meals I have chips, with some meals I have rice, and with some meals I have pasta.

I would never say that because I like pasta more than rice that no meals should ever have rice, because there are meals on which I would prefer rice and indeed, there are meals on which any sane human being would expect to see rice. Rice is a natural part of those dishes, from both a cultural and culinary perspective and history has shown that the preference for the vast majority of people is to have rice with those meals.

Sandwiches are similar - not all sandwiches are the same, in the same way that not all meals are the same and as such, on some of those sandwiches, like perhaps the burger, you would not expect to see butter, but on others, say a ham salad, you'd expect to see butter. Individual preference remains, but there is an established cultural and culinary orthodoxy to which the vast majority would normally subscribe.

Scones are more specific, and perhaps more like pizza, if you order a pizza, you'd ordinarily expect to have it arrive with cheese, a pizza without cheese is an unusual thing. Scones are the same with butter, they would naturally and ordinarily be buttered, you don't have to if you don't want to, but it's very unusual not to have a scone without butter - you are the exception.

I fully support you in your decision not to have butter at all, perhaps you have an intolerance for dairy produce, or developed a phobia after an unexpected incident with a churn as a child, perhaps you're just a radical thinker, not constrained by the culture in which you live; however, I do think it's important that you recognise that your decision is exceptional and that it's possibly a little bit odd to attempt to apply it to others as an orthodox approach to spread.

Thank you.

I actually like butter... 

On toast or on a topping free jacket potato. Where it belongs. 

If people want to put it on a sandwich they're free to as that's their choice. 

It's the wrong choice and ruins the sandwich by making it taste of butter and not the fillings but it's their choice. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

I actually like butter... 

On toast or on a topping free jacket potato. Where it belongs. 

If people want to put it on a sandwich they're free to as that's their choice. 

It's the wrong choice and ruins the sandwich by making it taste of butter and not the fillings but it's their choice. 

Absolutely, I'm not saying that you're wrong in your choice of sandwich, what's right for you is right for you. I'm just asking that you recognise that the idea that no sandwich should ever have butter on it is out of step with the belief of 99.99% of the population.

6 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Your sandwich fillings must be pretty bland if a bit of butter dominates the flavour

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Absolutely, I'm not saying that you're wrong in your choice of sandwich, what's right for you is right for you. I'm just asking that you recognise that the idea that no sandwich should ever have butter on it is out of step with the belief of 99.99% of the population.

It's not as unusual as you're saying as I know several people who agree with me and it appears others here do too. 

I'm not saying no sandwich in the world should have butter put on it. I'm saying in my opinion that no sandwich is improved by butter and that I find it actually ruins them. 

Too often I've bought a sandwich and found it not only contained butter but that butter was the primary ingredient as it was spread ridiculously thick. 

7 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Your sandwich fillings must be pretty bland if a bit of butter dominates the flavour

Surely it's the other way around as my sandwich is good without the butter but other people's are only edible with it? 

1 minute ago, Rds1983 said:

Surely it's the other way around as my sandwich is good without the butter but other people's are only edible with it? 

I don't think so.

Some sandwiches don't need butter because they're held together and have the right flavour balance and moisture without it, some benefit from it.

A reasonable sandwich can be ruined by the absence of butter because it's too dry. A sandwich can have absolutely no need for butter (think something like a breakfast butty with sauce, or a meatball sub).  I'm not sure its presence has ever ruined a sandwich for me, as it should be the thinnest spread. You should get a bit of the richness, the fattiness, the moisture, but I can't think of any sandwiches I've eaten where it'd dominate the sandwich unless someone's gone balls to the wall and put it on half an inch thick

16 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

I'm saying in my opinion that no sandwich is improved by butter

That's where I am too

That said I'm not out here making sandwiches that consist of 1 slice of tesco white label wafer thin hamor an inch thick slab of cheese

Your problems there are filling and condiment related not butter related

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'm sorry that you couldn't infer what I was trying to say.

I'll try to spell it out for in more detail in future. 

Feel free to edit my post to make that clear. 

6 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

I'm sorry that you couldn't infer what I was trying to say.

I'll try to spell it out for in more detail in future. 

Feel free to edit my post to make that clear. 

Just so we're all on the same page could you please complete the below form and send it to VT HQ?

1t0WJVS.png

My fave Cheese on toast 

2 slices of white bread, lightly done in toaster 

Butter on both pieces

Not too thick but not too thin sliced strong cheddar to cover each slice, but not the crust

Place under grill on medium

Once cheese is bubbling splashes of Worcestershire sauce on both slices 

Return to grill, turn it off, residual heat will continue to cook it (crust should be on the verge of burnt) 

Once done, remove from grill, add Tommy K, a grind of black pepper, and a few dashes of green tabasco 

Spread this deliciousness all over with a knife

Fold each slice over, and eat like a sandwich

Yummy yumyums. 

• Like 1

Â