The Gravy Feud® and Other Gastronomic Delights

blandy

7 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

100% this

use sauce for the wet, at worst i'll use philadelphia, never butter

but we've been here before, there's some heathens on here who will put butter on every sandwhich including breakfast sandwiches, my own brother will put butter on a tuna mayo sandwich...what for? what is it doing? nothing

Oh god. See above, no idea how I **** this up. 

Edited by sidcow

13 minutes ago, bickster said:

To be fair, some need it, some don't

Lots of sandwiches don't need it tbf. If I make a Prawn Mayo sandwich, I don't use butter but something like ham / ham and cheese definitely needs it

Ham or ham/cheese sandwiches need mustard not butter. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Butter tastes great that’s why. Also protects the bread from the wet ingredients.

Same reason it goes on a scone (rhymes with cone) before jam and cream in whichever order (I guess jam first if pushed).

running-eddie-murphy.gif

I could accept butter on a sandwich whilst thinking you're wrong, but butter on a scone is fighting talk. 

2 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

This is why sandwiches don’t fill me up. Big advocate of soup and a sandwich, just a cup-a-soup will do.

Once saw a guy do that on site, he had a tesco BLT sandwich or something and a bowl of tomato soup and he's sat there dipping the sandwich in the soup, couldn't work out if he mental or living in 4D

I have tried Francezinha, a Portuguese dish which effectively equates to a cheese and ham toastie served in a bowl of tomato soup and its great

24 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Once saw a guy do that on site, he had a tesco BLT sandwich or something and a bowl of tomato soup and he's sat there dipping the sandwich in the soup, couldn't work out if he mental or living in 4D

I have tried Francezinha, a Portuguese dish which effectively equates to a cheese and ham toastie served in a bowl of tomato soup and its great

I probably wouldn't dip, just if I'm having a sandwich then a bit of soup would help satiate the appetite. But this is like supermarket triangle sandwich situation, a proper sandiwch in a big roll or a baguette should do the trick on its own. Not that I ever actually eat many sandwiches any more.

I worked with a bloke who always dipped his sandwiches in his mug of tea. He said its more or less the same as taking a bite, chew it then a sip of his brew, so why not combine it all in one go ? 

The sight of his droopy tea stained white bread as he put it in his mouth made me gag 🤮

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

People have scones without butter?

I mean I don't particularly care for clotted cream and I have mine with just jam and butter, so I realise I've ceded any sort of authority, but surely butter on scones is orthodox?

But for what?!

Cream and jam are 2 wet ingredients what is the butter doing? It's not needed

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

This is why sandwiches don’t fill me up. Big advocate of soup and a sandwich, just a cup-a-soup will do.

Ham cheese and onion Baguette, scotch egg or sausage roll, mug of Heinz tomato instant, bag of crisps and then a kip  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

But for what?!

Cream and jam are 2 wet ingredients what is the butter doing? It's not needed

Salt of course to balance the sweet, its an essential part of the taste. It's nothing to do with wet

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I would not.

I don't feel that means I need to rule butter out of anything else though.

Why not and what's the difference between a burger and a large sandwich? 

Â