The Gravy Feud® and Other Gastronomic Delights

blandy

2 hours ago, bickster said:

Bangers and mash should always have gravy IMO so Branston Pickle and Gravy is definitely heading towards deviant behaviour but if there is no gravy its odd but acceptable. Grey Area I suppose

Always is a strong word there imo 

Sausage and mash with beans is a winner, more so if you then do a cowboy pie and make it like a shepherd's pie - beans at the bottom then sausages then layer the mash over it and grate cheese over the top before sticking it under the grill 

On experimenting with the mash I've done more with sauces, garlic paste wasn't for me, mustard works, horseradish works, wasabi not so much, mint sauce is OK but harder to get the balance right 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Also, that is not a pudding!

It is a steak and kidney pudding made with suet pastry

It's a Lancashire thing, that behaviour belongs in St Helens and Wigan and stays there

• Like 2

13 hours ago, bickster said:

It's a Lancashire thing, that behaviour belongs in St Helens and Wigan and stays there

Babbies yed (wiitout helmet on) usually accompanied by crispy bits and pea wet 

19 hours ago, bickster said:

Yeah Lancs folks are weird, they have a habit of calling savoury foods by sweet titles;

Pudding = Pie

Muffin = Bread rolls

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

And you guys thought gravy was bad

290138480_10221000109128086_350524968028

That fish looks like it deserves beans and wtf is that lemon, given its sliced off centre, it must be the worlds thinnest lemon

4 minutes ago, Spoony said:

I don’t dislike Branston Pickle but it really does dominate everything. Everything it touches becomes Branston Pickle. 

I actively dislike it, I like a pickle but not that. Awful stuff. 

On 09/06/2022 at 13:09, chappy said:

Went through an experimental phase of mash potato-ing a few years ago, stirring different things through the mash

Fried onions through the mash - not bad

Fried mushrooms through the mash - very good

Branston pickle through the mash - bad

This is pandemic behaviour if ever I saw it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

47 minutes ago, Spoony said:

I don’t dislike Branston Pickle but it really does dominate everything. Everything it touches becomes Branston Pickle. 

I love it, it's one of thr home foods I miss the most, a jar lasts me about a week

You're absolutely right though, even if you go with vintage chedder, really strong stuff, it still ends up being a Branston Pickle sandwich, I'm perfectly OK with that though

The german wife not so much... We've had conversations about me sleeping on the sofa due to eating it 😂

I gave some to her dad to try but he put it on something weird, basically created a combo that a pregnant woman will still frown upon and I can't for the life of me remember what it was, I just remember the horror of watching him eat it, might have been cold herring which is a thing here (and it's what they eat horseradish with) 

• Like 1

Â