Worst Villa player in the last 10 years?

sne

Stolen from the Brum Mail.

Not sure how to do this, a series of polls perhaps?

The World Cup of Worst Aston Villa Players

Factoring in price, salaries, performances and my personal opinion of them as players and humans I think I'll end up with:

• Group A: 1 Lescott (High salary & utterly crap). 2 Bacuna (Delusional and here for 4 years)
  • Group B: 1 McCormack ( Massive fee, massive salary, massive idiot)  2 Sanchez (He wasn't that bad but the only one of those left who cost money)
  • Group C  1 Richards (Ridiculous salary, constantly injured and a gung-ho attitude to defending) 2 N'Zogbia ( High transfer fee, high salary and  terrible attitude)
  • Group D 1 Drinkwater (Only a loan signing but still high wages and pathetic performances on the field, also a convicted drunk driver who headbutted a teammate since coming here). 2 Tshibola (Can only imagine Steve Clarke got part of the transfer fee? Baffling signing)

On to the knock out stages. Quarterfinals:

1. Lescott beats Sanchez by a mile
  2. McCormack beats Bacuna even more clearly
  3. Richards pips Tshibola 
  4. Drinkwater vs N'Zogbia is probably the closest quarterfinal. I went with personal dislike over longevity and money so Drinkwater takes it.

Semi Finals:

1. Lescott vs McCormack. It has to be McCormack. Not a single thing about this signing was good, nothing.
  2. Richards vs Drinkwater.  Ranked 489th last out of 492 players this season on Whoscored with a average of 5.74. Granted in a very small sample size. He should never have been signed.

Final: McCormack vs Drinkwater. And the winner is Ross McCormack by a country gate. It's not even close. Guy is a tool and even after being released he is still a poison to the club.

Take a bow son :hooray:

Ross McCormack to leave Aston Villa as a free agent

Not to be taken too seriously.

Edited by sne

For pure lack of ability, Joe Bennett, Scott Sinclair and Glenn Whelan can count themselves fortunate to escape the list. Sidwell "played" for us in the last 10 years too. The likes of Lescott, Richards, Bacuna, and N'Zogbia were obviously poor but nowhere near our worst in terms of pure performance. It's their attitude that made them hated.

• Like 1

No Westwood?

I'm not playing.

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Its Lescott hands down, he ticks all the boxes in a bad signing except a large transfer fee.

Is it worrying that I can think of some players Bennett, Herd, Sinclair, Bolasie, Jenas, Heskey, Luna, Cissokho, Bunn, Gestede, Veretout who could have got nominated

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 1

In terms of ability...so much shite, yet Bennett is the one I remember the best. Sometimes I wondered how the hell he could be a professional footballer. 

In terms of being a massive penis as well, Lescott hands down. 

Okore, Sylla should probably mentioned as well. Edit: Sorry just saw Sylla was there. Difficult to filter all the crap at once. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Haha 1

Tonev for me.

Every time I saw him play he looked like a prize winner from the crowd given his horrible lack of technical quality and wild shooting.

Take your pick from the 2013 intake really, abysmal level of quality in that group.

I know guys like Trezeguet and El Ghazi aren't amazing but they're still streets ahead of what Tonev provided (and remember his signing came with a fair bit of hype given we beat Celtic and a few Bundesliga clus to his signature).

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

Shay Given is worth a mention too, he was crocked when he arrived and drew down a massive wage for years. Lescott and McCormack were the worst for the club though while the most limited footballer to play for the club was probably Kevin Toner.

Edited by Kuwabatake Sanjuro
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Tonev for me.

Every time I saw him play he looked like a prize winner from the crowd given his horrible lack of technical quality and wild shooting.

Take your pick from the 2013 intake really, abysmal level of quality in that group.

I know guys like Trezeguet and El Ghazi aren't amazing but they're still streets ahead of what Tonev provided (and remember his signing came with a fair bit of hype given we beat Celtic and a few Bundesliga clus to his signature).

Richards was plagued by injuries, nzogbia had his moments. McCormack could play but was toxic but by far the worst player for me was Tonev 

It does depend on how you define it. If it is purely down to ability then it would be players like  Jordan Bowery, Sylla, Helenius, Cissokho, Simon Dawkins etc. But most of these at least did put a reasonable amount of effort in, but they were just not good enough.

But if you mean worst in terms of attitude and disappointment in their performance given the signing fees that it must be players like Tonev, Lescott, Richards,  Hogan and fat Ross McCormack.

Edit- just looked at the earlier posts and clean forgot about Stephen Ireland. It has to been him given the symbolic effect of trading James Milner for that steaming pile of t**d, and started the slow descent of death and decay at Aston Villa Football Club.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

Shay Given is worth a mention too, he was crocked when he arrived and drew down a massive wage for years. Lescott and McCormack were the worst for the club though while the most limited footballer to play for the club was probably Kevin Toner.

Good shout. Overated keeper. Didn't we give him a 5 year contract when he was already 35 and injury prone?  I think that summer we traded in Friedel and  Ashley Young for Given and Charles N'Zogiba.  Good bit of business that.

As mentioned in the OP I'm factoring in price, salaries, performances and my personal opinion of them as players and humans but feel free to choose as you please.

Lescott or McCormack 

I'll go Lescott as he was a premier league winner and playing at his boyhood club. His attitude was awful.

McCormack was a known piss head so lack of due diligence was done there when we purchased him. 

Ability wise Tonev was terrible. Like a bloke plucked off the street in Bulgaria. 

No Holman?

Â