Worst Villa player in the last 10 years?

sne

6 hours ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

Tonev vs Norwich was the worst individual performance I've ever seen in professional football. And believe me, that's saying something.

I think this was the game I am thinking of. His YouTube video wasn't even that great😂

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

Tonev vs Norwich was the worst individual performance I've ever seen in professional football. And believe me, that's saying something.

Drinkwater against Man City was eye watering. Understandable considering the circumstances but still.

He got a 4.95 / 10 on Whoscored for his 79 minutes on the pitch :D 

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

I think this was the game I am thinking of. His YouTube video wasn't even that great😂

I'm not even exaggerating when I say there were about 8 times he could've slipped Gabby/Weimann/Delph through for a clear chance and sent it into row Z in that game.

I also remember him being brought on when we were really knocking on the door at 1-0 down against Liverpool. His constant shots killed our momentum. We got one last chance to put one on Benteke's head with a free kick from 40 yards out. Tonev shot, wellied it a mile wide, and the final whistle went.

Easily the worst I've ever seen at Villa, and, again, that's saying something. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sne said:

Drinkwater against Man City was eye watering. Understandable considering the circumstances but still.

He got a 4.95 / 10 on Whoscored for his 79 minutes on the pitch :D 

Haha don't get me wrong. Drinkwater gets a special place in the 'engine room' of my worst ever Villa XI. And his performance in that City game made me want to pour vinegar in my eyes 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

Haha don't get me wrong. Drinkwater gets a special place in the 'engine room' of my worst ever Villa XI. And his performance in that City game made me want to pour vinegar in my eyes 

Kortney Hause's first game from start at LB last season was also pretty "special". Not as bad as Tonev thou.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

I remember it well! His debut as a sub (think in 3-0 defeat to Wigan) was hilariously putrid as well. Looked like a horse trying to play with a beachball

Ah, might be that one I'm thinking of?

Or maybe it's both.

Edited by sne
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Strange people including Drinkwater when hes probably in the top 20 players of all time at Leicester. 

but this is a worst player to play for Villa. past accomplishments are irrelevant especially at other clubs

Drinkwater has been disgusting here

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Strange people including Drinkwater when hes probably in the top 20 players of all time at Leicester. 

That post doesn't make any sense :D 

I know but it still weird how a player goes from hero to zero. Personally I don't think hes played enough games to be considered. Theres been a number of players in the past that have been really really rubbish at the beginning of their villa careers and turned out good. 

4 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I know but it still weird how a player goes from hero to zero. Personally I don't think hes played enough games to be considered. Theres been a number of players in the past that have been really really rubbish at the beginning of their villa careers and turned out good. 

well I would say Burnley and Chelsea fans would probably rank him among worst players as well so its not just a one off

3 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I know but it still weird how a player goes from hero to zero. Personally I don't think hes played enough games to be considered.

drink...

agree with the 2nd bit

the disappointing thing about him is that his unprofessionalism and the fact that he's finished as a top flight player harkens back to the likes of sinclair, lescott and Richards but I then also think in the context of what we brought him in to do and then how little he's actually played means he's nowhere near as bad as they were

3 hours ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

I'm not even exaggerating when I say there were about 8 times he could've slipped Gabby/Weimann/Delph through for a clear chance and sent it into row Z in that game.

I also remember him being brought on when we were really knocking on the door at 1-0 down against Liverpool. His constant shots killed our momentum. We got one last chance to put one on Benteke's head with a free kick from 40 yards out. Tonev shot, wellied it a mile wide, and the final whistle went.

Easily the worst I've ever seen at Villa, and, again, that's saying something. 

Yep I remember that free kick v Liverpool, we had 6 or 7 in the box and he hit it miles over as you say.

Only game I can remember him starting was Cardiff at home and he was useless (game where Bacuna hit one of his nice free kicks).

• Like 1

Okore was a disappointing signing because i think he had great potential but the injury ruined him. 

I dont consider him a dickhead like some others mentioned even though Eric Black tried make himout to be one. 

He also got the magical goal to break the duck when we went about 5 months without a goal under Lambert

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Okore was a disappointing signing because i think he had great potential but the injury ruined him. 

I dont consider him a dickhead like some others mentioned even though Eric Black tried make himout to be one. 

He also got the magical goal to break the duck when we went about 5 months without a goal under Lambert

He was good, it's such a shame about the injury. We can always pretend he changed his name to Angelo Ogbonna though :lol: 

41 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Did Okore refuse to play one game or am I confusing him to someone else?

I agree injury messed him up. When he came back in 14/15 I'm sure him and Clark had a good run going for a couple of months and we didn't concede many goals. Ultimately people just remember the awful cup final game (when he was playing on one leg) and then the calamity performance at Luton.

In similar category to Kozak anyway.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Did Okore refuse to play one game or am I confusing him to someone else?

I agree injury messed him up. When he came back in 14/15 I'm sure him and Clark had a good run going for a couple of months and we didn't concede many goals. Ultimately people just remember the awful cup final game (when he was playing on one leg) and then the calamity performance at Luton.

In similar category to Kozak anyway.

Eric Black said he refused to play which Okore denied. Black said a lot of crap and still played usual idiots weekly 

• Like 1

Â