Worst Villa player in the last 10 years?

sne

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

He was stupidly overrated. People acted like we had messi in the squad. 

Wasn't there a call for Sherwood to be sacked in his first season because he didn't play Carles Gill?

Messi? I don't think so. We had Weimann, Bacuna and NZogbia all getting appearances in out wide, how could he be getting 0 mins?

I specifically remember saying I would rather have Gil at villa than Sherwood though, so it's probably me you're thinking of there.

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Like 1

I feel like Michael Bradley doesn't deserve to be on that list. He never really got a chance (sort of got lost in the managerial transition from Houllier to McLeish) and then went on to do quite well in Serie A.

I'd have replaced him with Rudy Gestede or just another Ross McCormack.

8 hours ago, JamieZ said:

I feel like Michael Bradley doesn't deserve to be on that list. He never really got a chance (sort of got lost in the managerial transition from Houllier to McLeish) and then went on to do quite well in Serie A.

Can't judge players for what they've done elsewhere though.

Gil, Bradley, Amavi, Lescott, McCormack were all kinds of crap in the time they had on the pitch.

Gil became a bit of a mythical figure, he was OK every other game, nothing more nothing less, often went missing and could get Bullied out of games

I think his goal vs Sunderland was a revisionists wet dream, the traore run and his acrobatic goal

Despite being exciting compared to the other dross we had Gil was largely ineffective and traore was a greedy headless chicken 

2 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Gil, Bradley, Amavi, Lescott, McCormack were all kinds of crap in the time they had on the pitch.

At least Amavi can blame a lot of it on having his knee destroyed in that injury. He probably wasn't back to anything near full fitness for the most part of that season in the Championship.

7 minutes ago, sne said:

At least Amavi can blame a lot of it on having his knee destroyed in that injury. He probably wasn't back to anything near full fitness for the most part of that season in the Championship.

Unfortunately it really, really showed. Neil Taylor being a significant upgrade isn't something you can say very often.

Just now, kurtsimonw said:

Unfortunately it really, really showed. Neil Taylor being a significant upgrade isn't something you can say very often.

Yeah, I don't think he ever really recovered. Physically or mentally. He looked hesitant and obviously slower.

"Funny" thing, the same happened to Taylor after he snapped Coleman's leg. Also became hesitant and utterly useless. Not even trying to tackle or close down players anymore.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JamieZ said:

One of my programmes I have his autograph along with Eric Lichaji. Two villa legends. I remember he looked bored signing it and probably views his time at B6 as a mistake.

I have just looked up on him- he is still only 32?! Over 150 caps for USA. He wasn't/isn't  a bad player.

Edited by The Fun Factory

59 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Gil Had couple of an ok games until the whole team went on a bad run. That Leicester game was the main issue of that season! Had we won that things would've been much different. Even Leicester most likely wouldn't have won the league.

I can't say I've been able to watch much of McCormack games with us, that season I only watched couple of those games in tv. But his outfield problems makes him up there.

Lescott was bad with us, and his attitude makes him up there too.

Amavi was promising but he came back from an injury, and the whole team weren't at their best anyway. I think if he was given the time things would've been different.

Bradley  didn't have a proper chance.

Anyway, you can't expect from promising players to show what they can be by only playing them for 5-10 mins.

Everyone used to say Traore was rubbish, although everyone saw his capabilities. Only his selfishness and decision makings were the worst part of him and both could get fixed. He was trying to impress to find his way in the first team. Why don't the manager give him some starts to build the confidence needed?

The whole team was bad, we wouldn't lose anything by giving chances to players.

I don't think it's easy to judge a player who just comes in the last 10-20 mins. Especially players that depend on confidence.

We had many bad players who played as a starters for a long or short period. Some which we can't remember any good memories from them.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Kozak has to be up there when it's just on ability. 

Seemed a great guy but so far off the pace of premier league football. 

His goalscoring record wasn't that bad, wasn't it 5 goals in 9 games before he got injured? He was awkward and no Benteke replacement but would've been a decent plan B option, bit like SHA had with Zigic around that time.

Nowhere near the worst forward we've had in last 10 years. After he came back from the injury he was bad, same as Okore.

1 hour ago, sne said:

Yeah, I don't think he ever really recovered. Physically or mentally. He looked hesitant and obviously slower.

"Funny" thing, the same happened to Taylor after he snapped Coleman's leg. Also became hesitant and utterly useless. Not even trying to tackle or close down players anymore.

I agree about Amavi not looking that good in the championship. Since he left us he's been called up by France (three months after leaving us) and played in europa league final so doing alright for Marseille.

He would do very well in our present system imo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

One of my programmes I have his autograph along with Eric Lichaji. Two villa legends. I remember he looked bored signing it and probably views his time at B6 as a mistake.

I have just looked up on him- he is still only 32?! Over 150 caps for USA. He wasn't/isn't  a bad player.

He had a really good spell in serie A after leaving, was excellent at Chievo and then was doing o.k at Roma but left to go back to MLS at 28.

A midfield of Petrov at the base with Makoun as box to box and Bradley as the attacking midfielder on paper should've been really good but we were fighting relegation so it was never really played and we went with the safer Petrov-Reo Coker combination. Makoun also struggled with the pace early on with all the bookings he picked up.

17 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

He had a really good spell in serie A after leaving, was excellent at Chievo and then was doing o.k at Roma but left to go back to MLS at 28.

A midfield of Petrov at the base with Makoun as box to box and Bradley as the attacking midfielder on paper should've been really good but we were fighting relegation so it was never really played and we went with the safer Petrov-Reo Coker combination. Makoun also struggled with the pace early on with all the bookings he picked up.

Houllier dropped Petrov for Makoun most weeks until he got sick

7 hours ago, VillaChris said:

His goalscoring record wasn't that bad, wasn't it 5 goals in 9 games before he got injured? He was awkward and no Benteke replacement but would've been a decent plan B option, bit like SHA had with Zigic around that time.

Nowhere near the worst forward we've had in last 10 years. After he came back from the injury he was bad, same as Okore.

Yes that injury finished him. Thought he did quite well before that. Amavi looked good, I’d replace him for any of our left backs now. 

6 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Isn’t it a poor indictment of our performance that we have a discussion about who is the worst. I bet getting a best 20 players over the last 10 yrs would be harder

The main discussion has moved on to who is missing from the list... 

They could go whole hog and a 32 man competition 

• Like 1

Â