Worst Villa player in the last 10 years?

sne

5 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Looking back at all the crap players lambert had to deal with because of the financial restrictions he did a pretty good job at thr club

He only brought in the majority on the list. Absolute genius 

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Zatman said:

One of the great football myths which has its own Lambert thread if needs be discussed 

Signed 27 players over his tenure for a combined whopping 49.4m. That's less than 2m per player. Championship budget.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Bacuna was/is a prick but for what we paid for him I think we got a reasonably good deal there.

His 1st season showed promise that he could have been a decent Premier League player. He just had zero application

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sne said:

Did we need quality or quantity thou?

Both. First season it was definitely quantity over quality. And we did manage to sign the bulk of our few quality players that season. Benteke, Vlaar and El Ahmadi.

Add that to the fact that Lerner wanted to expel high earners, it meant we had to constantly replenish with cheaper options.

15 minutes ago, sne said:

Did we need quality or quantity thou?

He signed a left back each summer he was here plus Richardson who could play left back

They were all shit

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He signed a left back each summer he was here plus Richardson who could play left back

They were all shit

Including Richardson, the 4 of them cost 8m combined. You get what you pay for.

14 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Including Richardson, the 4 of them cost 8m combined. You get what you pay for.

Was any of the 4 actually an improvement on Warnock or Lichaj who was still at club when Lambert took over. Also if Lambert was a half decent coach he could have done something with Stevens who was in the reaerves

7 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Was any of the 4 actually an improvement on Warnock or Lichaj who was still at club when Lambert took over. Also if Lambert was a half decent coach he could have done something with Stevens who was in the reaerves

That's another conversation entirely. You certainly won't find me arguing that he was a decent coach. But in terms of his budget while he was at the club, it isn't a myth that he had to make do with a Championship transfer budget. 

Edit: I also thought Warnock could still do a job for at least a season (he was declining to Neil Taylor levels under Mcleish though), but Lerner obviously saw different. He was bomb squad'd in preseason. Also Lichaj played a lot in his first season, but he was an utter calamity, so I can understand why he was replaced. Problem is, 2m doesn't buy you much better.

Edited by Keyblade

3 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Both. First season it was definitely quantity over quality. And we did manage to sign the bulk of our few quality players that season. Benteke, Vlaar and El Ahmadi.

Add that to the fact that Lerner wanted to expel high earners, it meant we had to constantly replenish with cheaper options.

I do have sympathy with Lambert in summer 2013. We did finish that season strongly, front 3 was clicking nicely and we had Benteke turning down Spurs to sign new deal so there was decent amount of feel good factor. If ever there was a time to give Lambert 30-40m it was then. We started the next season o.k aswell beating Arsenal and Man. City in first 7 games and being robbed at Chelsea with terrible ref decisions.

Problem was we needed more variety in the final third (remember the links to that Japanese guy and also Belhanada) but he signed Kozak for 7m which summed it up.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I do have sympathy with Lambert in summer 2013. We did finish that season strongly, front 3 was clicking nicely and we had Benteke turning down Spurs to sign new deal so there was decent amount of feel good factor. If ever there was a time to give Lambert 30-40m it was then. We started the next season o.k aswell beating Arsenal and Man. City in first 7 games and being robbed at Chelsea with terrible ref decisions.

Problem was we needed more variety in the final third (remember the links to that Japanese guy and also Belhanada) but he signed Kozak for 7m which summed it up.

Our lack of creative midfielder was definitely our achilles heel during that era. We were so desperate we signed Joe Cole on a free, and eventually we got Carles Gil, who didn't see much time with Lambert before he got sacked. They were going for minimum 10m a pop, like Kiyotake and Belhanda you mentioned. We just weren't stumping up that kind of cash. If I'm not mistaken the most money we spent on a single player under Lambert was the ~7m for both Benteke and Kozak.

Shame Jack wasn't two years older, Lambert gave him a few sub games in his final months. Real shame we didn't get him and Benteke combination for one full season.

It would've still been an average team but we could've at least got a no frills mid table top flight season. Now a decade since we've had one of those.

14 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Shame Jack wasn't two years older, Lambert gave him a few sub games in his final months. Real shame we didn't get him and Benteke combination for one full season.

It would've still been an average team but we could've at least got a no frills mid table top flight season. Now a decade since we've had one of those.

pretty sure Jack didnt get along with Lambert or Lambert had no time for him

• Like 2

Would have made no difference the way the club was being run. I just wanted to make a point that most of the worst players were signed during the lambert era because of the lack of funds from Lerner, then he leaves and suddenly funds are available and they are wasted. 

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

His 1st season showed promise that he could have been a decent Premier League player. He just had zero application

Oh yeah I agree, just saying that I don't think he'd make the list of worst Villa players. Same goes for Westwood (who don't think has been mentioned much in this thread anyway). Both were poor/average, but not terrible IMO.

• Like 1

Â