Covid-19 and Football

Zatman

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

the danger with PPG is that we are the only team to lose out, wolves and Sheffield flip 6th and 7th which in the grand scheme of things isn't inconsequential (unless man city don't win their CL place back - they will)

my worry is that its our voice, plus Norwich clutching at straws, Bournemouth and sheffiled utd, that's not the strongest line up of clubs, we'd need someone like man utd being convinced they can get 4th and arsenal chasing 7th (if they beat city they can on GD) to throw their weight behind the complaint

Premier League has form over **** Sheffield United over, that would definitely come into play in court

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Genie said:

It’s in the name, per game. It factors in the varying amount of games teams have played. Fortunately everybody in the PL has played 28 or 29 games so it’s minimal impact anyway.

Villa have 0.89 points per game. If we’d have gotten our 29th game in we’d probably have lost (given our form over the other 28) to Chelsea reducing us to 0.86 PPG. It could be argued playing a game less has helped us out in our PPG tally, although the outcome is the same.

4 of our next 5 games are Chelsea, Wolves, Liverpool and Man United so we could have even less points had we payed those sides a second time earlier in the season.

Sorry not for me. Mcginn was coming back a major player for us. Its all good saying on paper we would have lost but how does anyone know? they dont.

Its more unfair relegating us and promoting Leeds.

7 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Bundesliga still going for May 9th return. Government approval required of course.

Think meeting on April 30th so probably 16th or 23rd if approved. I dont think it will 

11 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Sorry not for me. Mcginn was coming back a major player for us. Its all good saying on paper we would have lost but how does anyone know? they dont.

Its more unfair relegating us and promoting Leeds.

There will be these kind of situations up and down the league (players coming back etc) so negligible if it gives us an advantage. (He was poor for a lot of this season anyway, plus needs to get match fit coming off an injury and season break).

Can you think of a better way to settle the league other than voiding it (which comes with its own issues)? 
Not looking through claret and blue specs either as this is other football. 

Personally I’d ensure all players and staff were tested for Corona virus before every game then look at trying to blast through the remaining games, behind closed doors if needs be to complete the fixtures. Scrap the current cup competitions. Push back the start of next season to be 6/8 weeks after this season ends. Scrap domestic cups next year to allow the season to be shortened in duration. Hopefully fairly straight for the 21/22 season.

Edited by Genie

13 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Think meeting on April 30th so probably 16th or 23rd if approved. I dont think it will 

They've ordered about 250k tests I think.

Obviously not possible in this country due to the government's catastrophic handling of the testing capacity so far.

Hopefully will be improved by mid June obviously people moaning about sports teams getting them will be the least of our worries.

58 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Bundesliga still going for May 9th return. Government approval required of course.

Sorry I just posted that on the other thread. Interesting how that pans out.  China are not starting their league until June. The football world eyes will be on Germany. 

The rules change Monday, everyone outside has to wear a face mask, the relaxation of the lockdown has started, the missus is braving IKEA tomorrow (it finally happened to me - one of the bits was wrong so it needs to go back) sun is shining town centre is busy but i've still got no indication when my office will reopen 

Football will definitely speed everything up, I think the mentality has always been fairly relaxed here anyway but football being back would mean more or less everything is back

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Genie said:

There will be these kind of situations up and down the league (players coming back etc) so negligible if it gives us an advantage. (He was poor for a lot of this season anyway, plus needs to get match fit coming off an injury and season break).

Can you think of a better way to settle the league other than voiding it (which comes with its own issues)? 

Personally I’d ensure all players and staff were tested for Corona virus before every game then look at trying to blast through the remaining games, behind closed doors if needs be to complete the fixtures. Scrap the current cup competitions. Push back the start of next season to be 6/8 weeks after this season ends. Scrap domestic cups next year to allow the season to be shortened in duration. Hopefully fairly straight for the 21/22 season.

I'd scrap relegation this year - its too difficult to call. PPG sends us down. Drill it down to PPG home and PPG away and we probably still go down. Then you can look at strength of fixtures played against fixtures not played. Then you can look at current form (last 6 games PPG). You can keep on drilling down. 

If they want to promote Leeds and WBA, then fair enough, but next season is played with a 22 team top flight. Have 4 go down and 2 up or 5 down and 3 up to get back to 20 the following year. Scrap the league cup to cover the extra fixtures.

That assumes we can't finish the current season

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Xela said:

I'd scrap relegation this year - its too difficult to call. PPG sends us down. Drill it down to PPG home and PPG away and we probably still go down. Then you can look at strength of fixtures played against fixtures not played. Then you can look at current form (last 6 games PPG). You can keep on drilling down. 

If they want to promote Leeds and WBA, then fair enough, but next season is played with a 22 team top flight. Have 4 go down and 2 up or 5 down and 3 up to get back to 20 the following year. Scrap the league cup to cover the extra fixtures.

That assumes we can't finish the current season

This was my other idea. Don’t relegate anyone this year and then drop extra teams over the next 2 years.

Also generates extra league games which I’m sure the broadcasters would be happy with. 

I'd rather we try to finish the season in June or something than have the table decided on PPG or even as it is. There are only 2 real fair options in my eyes, finish the season or completely void it. The former has so many problems re: the integrity of the competition (and future ones) that I can only see the latter being viable. But if I was given a choice between that and table as is/PPG, I'd finish it all day. 

• Like 2

Apparently this thing of UEFA saying that the season has to be decidied by sporting merit only applies to qualification for European competition...

Edited by useless

4 hours ago, Genie said:

Yeah either they void relegation and promotion.  Or relegate none,  promote two and have four down following year.

13 hours ago, Zatman said:

French Sports Minister saying sports will not be a priority in French society at this time 

The IAAF Athletics European Championships that was going to take place in Paris between the 25th-30th of August have been cancelled.

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Also the idea of playing free to air games is not going to go down to well with BT and SKY since apparently they are the forces behind the football continuing 

It's more nonsense spouted by the UK government. Sky/BT are currently suspending sports subs while there's no live sport. They are going to want ratings and new subscribers when football comes back. 

Looks like Italy going to give it a go. Put their end of season date to August 2nd. Also this from Italian health chief:

The chief health official in Italy said there should be very little risk of COVID-19 spreading through playing football. “The contact isn’t solid enough.”

President of the Consiglio Superiore di Sanità Franco Locatelli made the comment during this evening’s press conference when asked about the football season resuming.

“I don’t think a football can represent a vehicle to spread coronavirus when there are 22 players, plus six who could come off the bench and three referees,” said Locatelli.

“You need solid contact and this doesn’t seem solid enough.”

Football is a contact sport, but the plan is to ensure through regular testing that players are not infected before they step on to the pitch.

The Lega Serie A is eager to resume training from May 4, when the Government is expected to ease the lockdown restrictions following a downward turn in the number of deaths, new cases and hospitalisations in Italy.

That trend has been going for several days now, figures that Locatelli called “comforting.”

A protocol has already been drawn up by the FIGC for how teams can resume training and eventually games, including regular testing of players and staff, keeping them in a training retreat and maintaining social distancing for the first week at least.

https://www.football-italia.net/152473/health-official-covid-risk-football-low

Not arguing with him but to me it misses the point of what football is and what else will come with it

The idea that football can be played and there will be no crowd and fans will sit in their own homes, alone, and watch it without meeting up, or playing it themselves is bollocks imo 

It'll see the control break down

Edited by villa4europe

Â