Covid-19 and Football

Zatman

Clubs will fold and will be horrible but we have seen in England and Italy before some clubs rising from the ashes. They wont die completely but they will not be at same level.

I do hope this will bring a humbleness to the game when its restarted from administrators and fans 

Football is doing the same thing as every other industry is doing

The difference is the media is telling you about the meetings that football clubs are having and not about the one car manufacturers have 

Hard to blame that on football

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Genie said:

Sports bible just released this on FB (can’t link to it sorry)

Somebody said the sporting merit for UEFA was the previous 5 years European history

Basing the final table on points per game would be just as unfair to us as it would it would basing the final standings on the table as it stands now, because we're still disadvantaged by the fact that we've played a game less than everyone else and so have had less opportunities to improve our points per game average. On the flipside to that Sheffield United would gain an unfair advantage over Wolves because they've played a game less and so have had less opportunities to drop points. Basically PPG isn't fair unless everyone has played the same amount of games.

the danger with PPG is that we are the only team to lose out, wolves and Sheffield flip 6th and 7th which in the grand scheme of things isn't inconsequential (unless man city don't win their CL place back - they will)

my worry is that its our voice, plus Norwich clutching at straws, Bournemouth and sheffiled utd, that's not the strongest line up of clubs, we'd need someone like man utd being convinced they can get 4th and arsenal chasing 7th (if they beat city they can on GD) to throw their weight behind the complaint

How they decide to end the table now would set a precedent and decide how the table is ended in future seasons should we find ourselves in another situation when the season is disrupted again by this virus or something else, which I don't think is being ruled out. So all clubs have to be very aware that when deciding what to do this time around that whilst it might not affect them negatively now it could do in the future.

Edited by useless

I can’t think of a much fairer way than PPG tbh, given that around 75% of the season is complete it seems like a reasonable way to settle it if games can’t be completed.

There will of course be winners and losers but I can’t think of a better way. 

Ideally this would already be written into the rules, I’m amazed there isn’t a scenario for settling a season that could not be competed already that is part of the t&c of being a member of the PL/EFL etc

Problem is trying to get it approved by the clubs now will be impossible. Then if the decision is made above them then the clubs which loss out (like us) will launch legal challenges.

I think if they go PPG they'll have a compensatory package of some sort set up in advance to ensure any problems go away - relegation with an easing of FFP or enhanced parachute payments, something along those lines - some sort of financial compensation for teams missing out on european qualification. 

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

I can’t think of a much fairer way than PPG tbh, given that around 75% of the season is complete it seems like a reasonable way to settle it if games can’t be completed.

There will of course be winners and losers but I can’t think of a better way. 

Ideally this would already be written into the rules, I’m amazed there isn’t a scenario for settling a season that could not be competed already that is part of the t&c of being a member of the PL/EFL etc

Problem is trying to get it approved by the clubs now will be impossible. Then if the decision is made above them then the clubs which loss out (like us) will launch legal challenges.

I can, void it.

That’s fairer.

• Like 3

PPG isn't fair in any way, not only because not everyone has played the same amount of games, but also because not everyone has played the same teams or played the same amount of games home and away, it's no fairer than just declaring the table as it stands now as the final table.

50 minutes ago, useless said:

PPG isn't fair in any way, not only because not everyone has played the same amount of games, but also because not everyone has played the same teams or played the same amount of games home and away, it's no fairer than just declaring the table as it stands now as the final table.

It’s pretty much the same thing, give or take a tiny bit.

Theres no perfect solution, the least worst option needs to be found. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think if they go PPG they'll have a compensatory package of some sort set up in advance to ensure any problems go away - relegation with an easing of FFP or enhanced parachute payments, something along those lines - some sort of financial compensation for teams missing out on european qualification. 

Yes, the relegated clubs will argue they could have survived so (much) bigger parachute payments might ease the pain there. Next challenge will be CL qualification. It’ll come down to paying off the “losers”.

Just now, Demitri_C said:

How the hell can you do PPG If we have played one less game? Makes absolutely no sense. Relegating any sode with ten games left is just pure stupidity.

It’s in the name, per game. It factors in the varying amount of games teams have played. Fortunately everybody in the PL has played 28 or 29 games so it’s minimal impact anyway.

Villa have 0.89 points per game. If we’d have gotten our 29th game in we’d probably have lost (given our form over the other 28) to Chelsea reducing us to 0.86 PPG. It could be argued playing a game less has helped us out in our PPG tally, although the outcome is the same.

4 of our next 5 games are Chelsea, Wolves, Liverpool and Man United so we could have even less points had we payed those sides a second time earlier in the season.

• Like 1

Â