Covid-19 and Football

Zatman

32 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Why would the mirror be biased against  arsenal?

Also why you justifying ozil rejecting a pay cut on that wage. Its despicable 

Why would an Arsenal fan page be biased for Ozil if he was taking money from the club 🙄

52 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

why?

arsenal's main owner is worth $10bn, he's right to question what he is taking a pay cut for, since he's been there they've made circa £200m profit on circa £2bn in turnover, the idea that these PL clubs are pleading poverty as if their future on the line is utter bollocks, where does the 12.5% (which is £2,275m before tax for Ozil) go? is that going to support staff? if you then say each person is worth £40k a year that's 57 people paid for by Ozil, having a quick google of Arsenal's wages the 12.5% across the whole squad will save them around £12m a year in wages, that's 294 people paid for, not unrealistic but at the same time I think its fair if Ozil asks to see the accounts

like I said "we want you to take a pay cut and give that money to the support staff because we are forecasted to lose £50m because of corona meaning that we are going to struggle to pay them"

1) they're not going to struggle to pay them 2) i'd want the forecast of the £50m loss

what he's asking for is smart from him but because of who he is he's being vilified for it

Listen im not defending kroenke as i think he is as big a knob as ozil. But at same time even if he gave up 10k of his wages that would help.

My understanding is he refusing plain blank to take a pay cut.

Then in tha basis of what your saying they wont struggle to pay them villa players shouldnt take  a pay cut due to the wealth of sawiris and edens. The same at mutiple clubs.

The money in football stinks. The game stinks. Need to hit the reset button.

he asked to take a wage deferral which again I can see why, arsenal might not make profit this year because of the virus but potentially next year they are back to making good money again

its the reporting in this country that stinks too, Ozil is a pantomime villain, that story is loaded towards making people think he's a bell end who is filthy rich when in reality the main beneficiary of his pay cut is probably someone who is even richer

8 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

he asked to take a wage deferral which again I can see why, arsenal might not make profit this year because of the virus but potentially next year they are back to making good money again

its the reporting in this country that stinks too, Ozil is a pantomime villain, that story is loaded towards making people think he's a bell end who is filthy rich when in reality the main beneficiary of his pay cut is probably someone who is even richer

Its not just ozil mate various clubs have been targeted. Personally i have no sympathy for any premier league club asking for financial help.  They get enough money as it is. The same applies to players.

Still such a lack of reality in this thread:

1 - 'the idea that these PL clubs are pleading poverty as if their future on the line is utter bollocks' / 'Personally i have no sympathy for any premier league club asking for financial help.  They get enough money as it is' - guys you are going to be astonished when the first PL clubs start going to the wall, which is not going to be as far into the future as you might imagine, especially if there isn't a bailout of the industry.

2 - You should read the David Conn article I posted a couple of pages ago. The purpose of the government's financial help scheme is to be used, and it is for all businesses, not 'all businesses except football clubs'.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Still such a lack of reality in this thread:

1 - 'the idea that these PL clubs are pleading poverty as if their future on the line is utter bollocks' / 'Personally i have no sympathy for any premier league club asking for financial help.  They get enough money as it is' - guys you are going to be astonished when the first PL clubs start going to the wall, which is not going to be as far into the future as you might imagine, especially if there isn't a bailout of the industry.

Still doesn't change the fact that ozil has stated he wants a deferral of wages (based on they will be profitable again) and proof that the club is going to the wall which I think is fair on both counts 

30 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Still doesn't change the fact that ozil has stated he wants a deferral of wages (based on they will be profitable again) and proof that the club is going to the wall which I think is fair on both counts 

I don't disagree with that. I think the focus on the morality or otherwise of individual players is a bit of an unhelpful distraction from the urgent discussion we need to be having about the future of the entire industry. 

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

I agree the owners of clubs should also be taking a pay cut which will encourage players to do them same.

However if your earning stupid amounts a week (been shit most of the season) as well how you expect the fans to react.

Sky are reporting that if the season is voided then UEFA want to use "sporting merit" for the European places next season

Would basically mean a 5 year coefficient would be used

So Liverpool, City, arsenal and utd in the CL and then Chelsea, spurs and Leicester in the europa

Good ol' UEFA

7 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Sky are reporting that if the season is voided then UEFA want to use "sporting merit" for the European places next season

So Liverpool, City, arsenal and utd in the CL and then Chelsea, spurs and Leicester in the europa

Good ol' UEFA

Have Utd really done better than Chelsea in the last 5 years?  Tbh it's as good a way of doing it as any other contrived method though harsh on Leicester.

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Good ol' UEFA

Remember when there was the initial talk about voiding the season with the biggest voices behind that being West Ham and Spurs?

Though the way some podcasts were discussing the use of coefficients to award euro places a month ago made it seem like that was an agreed protocol, rather than some back of the napkin thinking.

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Swedish leagues have announced the top 2 divisions will start on June 14th with fans

It's funny because there is zero chance of that happening and they know it full well.

1 minute ago, sne said:

It's funny because there is zero chance of that happening and they know it full well.

I was thinking the same thing, I was supposed go to a wedding in Sweden that week and that was cancelled so cant imagine people too keen to go to stadiums.

Suppose its good to give people hope and then take it away 

• Like 1

Just now, Zatman said:

I was thinking the same thing, I was supposed go to a wedding in Sweden that week and that was cancelled so cant imagine people too keen to go to stadiums.

Suppose its good to give people hope and then take it away 

I'm not sure what their play is with it.

All big concerts this summer have been cancelled, all youth cups, running competitions and any other big sporting events.

The kids are not even going to be allowed to celebrate graduation, but one day after the big school graduations were supposed to take place they are going to allow thousands upon thousands of fans to congregate to watch Allsvenskan?

It's so obviously never going to be allowed :D 

The football authorities continue to play a different tune to science and the government.

In reality football isn't important as social distancing will be in place throughout Europe for the rest of this year!

When are the footballing authorities going to wake up? 

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang

18 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

The football authorities continue to play a different tune to science and the government.

In reality football isn't important as social distancing will be in place throughout Europe for the rest of this year!

When are the footballing authorities going to wake up? 

I still think it's premature for them to announce they will just scrap the league even if it is by far the most likely resolution.  Until they get the cover from the government forbidding them to play I guess they need to keep up appearances and say what they hope for in the best case scenario which at the moment seems finishing the season behind closed doors.  I really can't see it happening.  I reckon deep down the PL would quite like another two teams for next season, big names like Villa and Leeds being among them with more games for Sky so they don't claim their money back.

• Like 1

Â