Carney Chukwuemeka

Villan4Life

2 hours ago, A'Villan said:

Does anyone who's followed Carney's time at youth level want to share on what this kid does well and why he's apparently top five for his age in Europe?

Why hasn't he been integrated sooner? That's not a criticism of the player. I'm curious to know why Villa don't think he's ready, or what the reasoning behind him moving is from our pov.

A wonderfully fluid player on the ball with silky skills and a great touch.  Looked a superstar at youth level.  So we started to give him chances at 17 years of age.  Never pulled up any trees and didnt impose himself on the game.  Started him at 17 last season against Brentford and wasnt the best.  Got his only assist with a cross from the left for Ollie to tap in against Norwich away.

Now the kicker. He isnt prem ready. Doesnt do the ugly side of the game very well. Isnt the quickest and not the bravest.  Wonderfully talented but not battle hardened.

We were more than happy to give him 50k a week but he didnt sign the contract.  And decided that the best thing for him was to play for one of the most difficult clubs to break into the first team if you are a youth player.

I would say that if he had a proper agent rather than someone from his church he would now be a Villa player on a 5 year deal.

He has the talent to succeed but he isnt anywhere near rounded enough yet.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

A wonderfully fluid player on the ball with silky skills and a great touch.  Looked a superstar at youth level.  So we started to give him chances at 17 years of age.  Never pulled up any trees and didnt impose himself on the game.  Started him at 17 last season against Brentford and wasnt the best.  Got his only assist with a cross from the left for Ollie to tap in against Norwich away.

Now the kicker. He isnt prem ready. Doesnt do the ugly side of the game very well. Isnt the quickest and not the bravest.  Wonderfully talented but not battle hardened.

We were more than happy to give him 50k a week but he didnt sign the contract.  And decided that the best thing for him was to play for one of the most difficult clubs to break into the first team if you are a youth player.

I would say that if he had a proper agent rather than someone from his church he would now be a Villa player on a 5 year deal.

I think this is a really good assessment. Even at youth level he was not a player who ran the game in my opinion but could explode with moments of brilliance.

He can probably afford to do that more in a bigger team but he's not a player right now you could trust to do a disciplined job.

Ramsey on the other hand is a press monster, disciplined and carries the ball as well as Carney can. Much more rounded footballer, it will be interesting if Carney can transition to first team football like JJ has.

47 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

I agree with all your early points but instead of being a Villa player on 5 year deal, he’s on a 6 year deal (probably same or better money) with a Champions League club. If he is represented by someone from his church (was this ever confirmed?) then they’ve done well.

I know people want him to have made a big mistake but he probably hasn’t. It’ll be a bit like Jack, we’ll see him on the periphery a lot but they’ll play so many games he’ll probably still play as many minutes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WallisFrizz said:

I agree with all your early points but instead of being a Villa player on 5 year deal, he’s on a 6 year deal (probably same or better money) with a Champions League club. If he is represented by someone from his church (was this ever confirmed?) then they’ve done well.

I know people want him to have made a big mistake but he probably hasn’t. It’ll be a bit like Jack, we’ll see him on the periphery a lot but they’ll play so many games he’ll probably still play as many minutes.

Totally understand this point of view , but we were happy to give him a pathway and teach him the side of the game he currently struggles with. And thats with Gerrard and McAllister who were best placed to help him with that.

Rather than bring their own youthplayers through they loaned out Tammy Mason Reece etc to learn the game amd develop as players, and then brought them back into the fold.  

Chelsea is a different animal. Its more cutthroat. You need to be ready to play. All about performance. Carney still needs development . 

He has made his choice and i am more than happy with the money we havegot for him. 

Hope he makes it big time , and he isnt yet another wasted talent who moved to a big club too early.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I doubt it. Chelseas midfield is veey very good.  He might get cup games but he wokld have got that here.  If he signed i am 100% convinced he would have started more games for us.  Looks like gerrard was right

Is it? They played Barkley in 14 games last season, Kante and Jorginho are nearly passed it and have been willing to accept bids for Kante

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Zatman said:

Is it? They played Barkley in 14 games last season, Kante and Jorginho are nearly passed it and have been willing to accept bids for Kante

Kane and jorginho walk into our midfield. Dont forget they have kovacic too

15 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Kane and jorginho walk into our midfield. Dont forget they have kovacic too

They're both out of contract next summer

They've got Kante, jorghino, kavacic, Gallagher, Gilmour, Mount, RLC, Barkley and then at youth level they've bought omari Hutchinson from arsenal and have Xavier Simmons, Anjorin and Webster from the england youth set up

And they're linked with signing de Jong 

But yeah definitely going there for game time... 

30 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Oh god it's going to be like the Grealish transfer thread again.

He is gone and he ain't coming back.

Oh yeah I'm not disputing that, but just think it'll be Karma and hilarious if he went into talks thinking "Right, £75k a week, guaranteed first team involvement with a guaranteed number of starts over the season......" Erm, hello Mr Chukwumeka, you're a young lad who's just had a really good Euro Championships but you've done nothing in senior football yet to be making such demands..... "How dare you, I ain't signing then!" Chelsea: Okay.

3 minutes ago, DeadlyDirk said:

Oh yeah I'm not disputing that, but just think it'll be Karma and hilarious if he went into talks thinking "Right, £75k a week, guaranteed first team involvement with a guaranteed number of starts over the season......" Erm, hello Mr Chukwumeka, you're a young lad who's just had a really good Euro Championships but you've done nothing in senior football yet to be making such demands..... "How dare you, I ain't signing then!" Chelsea: Okay.

Yeah. Maybe Villa have just accepted the highest bid because Chelsea have come in and blew everyone out the water. (Owen Real to Newcastle)

Maybe he realises it isn't actually a good move and isn't pushing for it.

I'm sure they'll just chuck a load of money at him and he'll sign but hey

14 minutes ago, DeadlyDirk said:

id have thought that once he was travelling for a medical and both clubs officially announced it the terms of the contract would also have been agreed

the delay is probably more to do with Chelsea's social media team preparing the announcement and doing some interviews and promo photos, the joy of modern football

Â