Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

34 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

That's a good shout. Has he been injured this season because he was playing for them at the start. Got a lot of potential.

I wasn’t the first to mention him on here and I don’t think I’ll be the last. To be on United’s books for as long as he has, he must be highly regarded by them but he just hasn’t established himself there. We gave him regular first team football in The Championship 

8 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I wasn’t the first to mention him on here and I don’t think I’ll be the last. To be on United’s books for as long as he has, he must be highly regarded by them but he just hasn’t established himself there. We gave him regular first team football in The Championship 

They've had Lingard and Phil Jones on their books for quite a while as well. One of their biggest issues is that they keep hold of players who are clearly not good enough.

Axel might become a good player, he's still young but if we were to sign a new CB I much rather it be and experienced calmer head to partner Mings. We already have 2 young CB's + Engels.

3 minutes ago, sne said:

They've had Lingard and Phil Jones on their books for quite a while as well. One of their biggest issues is that they keep hold of players who are clearly not good enough.

Axel might become a good player, he's still young but if we were to sign a new CB I much rather it be and experienced calmer head to partner Mings. We already have 2 young CB's + Engels.

My username would’ve been perfect last Summer I think, oh well, it’s a pipe dream I suppose

2 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

My username would’ve been perfect last Summer I think, oh well, it’s a pipe dream I suppose

Yeah I was against signing Cahill last summer but from what I've heard he's been OK-ish. Might have been a solid signing in hindsight. Not among my first choices thou.

He was/is a bit too old thou and a 2 year contract on £75k/week is pretty steep.

4 minutes ago, sne said:

Yeah I was against signing Cahill last summer but from what I've heard he's been OK-ish. Might have been a solid signing in hindsight. Not among my first choices thou.

He was/is a bit too old thou and a 2 year contract on £75k/week is pretty steep.

Who were your first choices?

Just now, sir_gary_cahill said:

Who were your first choices?

No idea mate.

And as for this summer it all depends on what league we are in and what our budget is. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sne said:

I read somewhere that he turned us down as he wanted to stay in London. He would have been great playing alongside Mings and Konsa would have learnt a lot from him

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Villa Stu said:

I read somewhere that he turned us down as he wanted to stay in London. He would have been great playing alongside Mings and Konsa would have learnt a lot from him

Yeah that seems plausible. I can see why he'd rather stay in London.

Olympiacos in a spot of bother (again) for the match fixing scandal where the investigation has been reopened.

Not watched them more that the odd time recently so not sure if they have anyone worth raiding should they be demoted.

Their CB Pape Abou Cisse looked a bit of a tank and their LB was really fast from what i remember. 

And their Norwegian RB Omar Elabdellaoui was linked here in January, he's sitting on an expiring contract anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 23/04/2020 at 18:25, villa4europe said:

He's become a bit of a clogger, he's not mobile or agile enough, wouldn't say he's a relic but I do think he's from 20 years back when your holding midfielder was a big strong bastard who put his foot in whereas in reality now they don't (or since makele and then busqeuts changed the position) they need to be mobile and cover a lot of ground, lots of movement off the ball to be available for an easy out ball, able to read the game and make interceptions not tackles

Like Fernandino, When he plays CDM? He don't give much quarter.....and can play.

The game as a whole is much faster now, granted and what you say is worth taking note of......but I don't think much got past Viera or Petit, in those days.

Michael Essien was also a player from the past who was a fine CDM, and a BSB, He wasn't a clogger though, tough but he could play.

I think there have been currently and from yesteryear, players in that role that could get their foot in and Play too......not all CDM's from the past was cloggers, far from it.

It doesn't really matter how you get the ball off an opponent ( within the laws of the game) its all about just stopping them from hurting you or gaining a foothold.....tackles or interceptions, who cares.

Busquets and Makelele was amongst the best CDM's of their day, so it would follow that other players would study their game and try and mirror it.

Personally, I think there is a misconception of the role of CDM, where some fans can quickly, label them cloggers or other colloquial terms.....In my view, its one of the most crucial positions on a football field, if you have a good one, and we haven't for some time.

However, I do share your opinion on movement and mobility and how crucial quick movement is today.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sne said:

Olympiacos in a spot of bother (again) for the match fixing scandal where the investigation has been reopened.

Not watched them more that the odd time recently so not sure if they have anyone worth raiding should they be demoted.

Their CB Pape Abou Cisse looked a bit of a tank and their LB was really fast from what i remember. 

And their Norwegian RB Omar Elabdellaoui was linked here in January, he's sitting on an expiring contract anyway.

Give me some Valbuena.

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Give me some Valbuena.

Yeah even at 35 he still has some moves, was great at home against Spurs from what I saw (did not see the whole game)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Like Fernandino, When he plays CDM? He don't give much quarter.....and can play.

The game as a whole is much faster now, granted and what you say is worth taking note of......but I don't think much got past Viera or Petit, in those days.

Michael Essien was also a player from the past who was a fine CDM, and a BSB, He wasn't a clogger though, tough but he could play.

I think there have been currently and from yesteryear, players in that role that could get their foot in and Play too......not all CDM's from the past was cloggers, far from it.

It doesn't really matter how you get the ball off an opponent ( within the laws of the game) its all about just stopping them from hurting you or gaining a foothold.....tackles or interceptions, who cares.

Busquets and Makelele was amongst the best CDM's of their day, so it would follow that other players would study their game and try and mirror it.

Personally, I think there is a misconception of the role of CDM, where some fans can quickly, label them cloggers or other colloquial terms.....In my view, its one of the most crucial positions on a football field, if you have a good one, and we haven't for some time.

However, I do share your opinion on movement and mobility and how crucial quick movement is today.

I think Nakamba can be our version of Busquets or Makelele, obviously not quite as good as either of them but I saw enough from him particularly early on in the season. Nakamba’s performance level dropped during Winter but he seemed to get back to his early season form during the preceding weeks until the CoronaVirus

18 minutes ago, sne said:

Yeah even at 35 he still has some moves, was great at home against Spurs from what I saw (did not see the whole game)

He's really that old, thought he was only 31 or 32!

Excellent player in his day though.

4 hours ago, sne said:

Their CB Pape Abou Cisse looked a bit of a tank .

He's a very good player Jonah. Watched him couple of times now.

Only 24 years old too! 

Very good suggestion mate!

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1