Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

5 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Do you think in our present state we're capable of getting a 15-20 goal striker from a top euro league? I think Wilson and Watkins is about the best we can do this summer. If we can also add in a decent wide player and obviously keep Grealish that to me is so much better than what we had on 1st September last year.

If we can keep Grealish and add a decent winger then I think most forwards we bring in have a chance of scoring more goals (even the ones we already have).

Not sure about our pulling power for players from abroad, it's obviously not good. Wilson falls in the category of players who "can do a job" but with star player wages and minimal chances of improving or increasing his value.

If fit he's a bit better than what we have. He not worth that big an investment thou. I so much rather spend a bit more and get Odsonne Edouard or if possible Patson Daka, gambles yes but the reward is much bigger. 

Be fine with Wilson as a squad player but if brought in he's likely to be it. Our starting striker. Would not be happy with that.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Mings was injury prone before he came to Villa and nobody complained. What do Bournemouth do in their training? Do they just want to spend more time in Sandbanks?

We moan about the injuries we had but Bournemouth always seem to get 3-4 ACLs a season. They signed Lloyd kelly and he was practically injured from his debut, think Lewis Cook and Mepham the CB also got bad injuries not long after joining and Brooks of course.

If Wilson was going to any other club in the premier league with the exception of say Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea or Man Utd, I don't think I'd be thinking how on earth has he managed to get that move, in fact at season's end I would have thought it far more likely that he'd end up at one of the division's better sides than with us, he's a good player good enough for most teams in this division.

I think the earlier talk of us swapping him for Hogan has warped people's perceptions, that was never going to happen. This is player who only last year was being linked with a £75Mill move to Chelsea.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, sne said:

If we can keep Grealish and add a decent winger then I think most forwards we bring in have a chance of scoring more goals (even the ones we already have).

Not sure about our pulling power for players from abroad, it's obviously not good. Wilson falls in the category of players who "can do a job" but with star player wages and minimal chances of improving or increasing his value.

If fit he's a bit better than what we have. He not worth that big an investment thou. I so much rather spend a bit more and get Odsonne Edouard or if possible Patson Daka, gambles yes but the reward is much bigger. 

Be fine with Wilson as a squad player but if brought in he's likely to be it. Our starting striker. Would not be happy with that.

Watkins will be the unpolished forward signing with potential huge rewards if he can step up so we will be doing that aswell this summer.

Just now, VillaChris said:

Watkins will be the unpolished forward signing with potential huge rewards if he can step up so we will be doing that aswell this summer.

Here's hoping we can flog Samatta, Davis and eventually Wes ones he gets fit then.

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

Maybe not a popular opinion, but I don't really think Wesley should be playing much if at all for us this season. Whatever people's views on him last year (I'm very bearish on him personally, but others seem to disagree) he's not going to have got better or more confident as a result of his injury. The ideal would be to get him back to fitness in time for January, then loan him somewhere where he can bully defences for the second half of the season, and then see where we stand next summer. Wilson and Watkins would be the two top choices, and we could loan Davis and keep Samatta for a year as 3rd choice.

Of course it won't happen like that, but the bigger picture is that I think Wilson is a much better and more accomplished striker than seems to be the consensus on this forum, so I doubt he's going to be 3rd choice for the season.

I agree i dont see how many are so confident in Wesley,  Wilson is 10x better than Wesley and Watkins hasn’t proven what hes like in the Premier league so why are we screaming for his signature as if hes some guaranteed 15+ plus goalscorer here.. Wilson on the other hand has proven that and just like Ings might just need another club to start firing again so id be more happier with Wilson as his style of play seems much better and his goal variety is much more expansive. We need a main CF signing and a winger that can also play as a striker in case of injury.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, sne said:

Brilliant brilliant footballer.

I was a bit underwhelmed but the more I think of it, the more I like it.  If we can get him for £15m plus some add ons he is proven premier league striker and we need depth.

His stats show he might of been a bit unlucky last season and typically scores or assists every one in two games.

Samatta is not good enough and should be sold/loaned out.

Wesley may be given more time.

Davis actually was unlucky and should have got a couple of goals according to expected goals.  He also had 3.25 shot creating actions per 90 which is really good.  I think he needs a season on loan in the championship to play regularly and score 20 goals and then he will be ready.

If we go into the start of the season with Wilson, Watkins and Wesley as our strikers it is a massive upgrade on last year.

7 minutes ago, sne said:

Here's hoping we can flog Samatta, Davis and eventually Wes ones he gets fit then.

Davis will certainly go out on loan if we get in two new CFs. Samatta will stick around as back up sub option I'd imagine. Wes back in November but he'll need a fair while to get back up to speed.

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Davis will certainly go out on loan if we get in two new CFs. Samatta will stick around as back up sub option I'd imagine. Wes back in November but he'll need a fair while to get back up to speed.

So that's about £80m worth of strikers then if we sign both Wilson & Watkins, in a system that uses 1. None of them even close to prolific and leaving us still needing a CM & RW along with RB, GK and maybe LB and CB and possibly yet another wide player.

And all this along with the player we already have must be fitted into a 25 man squad. Will be interesting.

Edited by sne

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

Maybe not a popular opinion, but I don't really think Wesley should be playing much if at all for us this season. Whatever people's views on him last year (I'm very bearish on him personally, but others seem to disagree) he's not going to have got better or more confident as a result of his injury. The ideal would be to get him back to fitness in time for January, then loan him somewhere where he can bully defences for the second half of the season, and then see where we stand next summer. Wilson and Watkins would be the two top choices, and we could loan Davis and keep Samatta for a year as 3rd choice.

Of course it won't happen like that, but the bigger picture is that I think Wilson is a much better and more accomplished striker than seems to be the consensus on this forum, so I doubt he's going to be 3rd choice for the season.

Agree 100%.

I don't think people realise how poor Wesley was for us last season.  Wilson and Watkins whilst not the greatest are quite a big upgrade on Wesley.

• Like 1

Just now, string28 said:

Looks like things moving now. I guess cash and Romero then Wilson and Watkins.

Individually, I don't think any of those signings are bad. I think they will improve our squad for sure.

Collectively though, I also don't think they will improve our squad enough alone to not be involved in another relegation battle next season.

If we do sign them, I hope we also get another 2 in. A pacy winger and a CM would be nice. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Just to see in there that this article says it took four attempts to agree a fee, no wonder deals are taking so damn long if true.

Awkward clubs.