Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Feels a bit Targett ish happy to be proved wrong.

15-20m should get an international standard FB from a major euro league imo.

At the same time Leicester are signing Timothy Castagne for 21.5m.

27 games for a very good Atalanta side last season and also got a few caps for Belgium so up and coming play.

Possibly, but we could do worse than an on form and less injury prone Targett. (Which can actually be very good)

Comparing out transfer business with the likes of Leicester is also pointless, for obvious reasons.

• Like 1

I agree Targett had some good games last season and I like the way he links up with Grealish in games when we're on the front foot. He's not a good one v one defender though so interested if Cash is better at that aspect.

The thing with Targett is I simply can't see him being a regular in hopefully a top 8 Villa team in the not too distant future. I'd like us to sign a player or two this summer that gives you the impression that they could lead us into the top half within next two years.

• Like 1

Think where we almost where just after the play off final 2018, Dr Tony, bankruptcy, best players possibly leaving... god it could’ve all be so bad. But we’re here, and we’re hopefully about to be signing good players for good money and I love it! 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CarryOnVilla said:

If we don’t sign anyone and we stick with the squad we currently have. Do you believe we’ll do better, the same or worse than last season? 

Based upon what we were doing at the end of last season, I think our current team will achieve more points than we did last season. Also having Shakespeare in the coaching team, he will help squeeze more out of our players. So I’m not as fearful of the lack of signings so far. 

however, a few new additions would be a benefit Mr Lange 

In the time since you posted that, the 'if we don't sign anyone' frame seems to have been removed as it seems Cash is joining. Nevertheless, I think we will not achieve even the points total we achieved last season unless we buy a striker who is far superior to our current options. They got a cumulative total of 6 league goals last season, and do not appear to me to have the potential for much more than that, so all it would take is for a] Grealish to be sold, b] Grealish to be injured for a meaningful period, or c] Grealish to hit a run of poor form, and we would have essentially no penetration in the final third at all.

• Like 1

I don't get all the Targett hate...  What is it with VillaTalk & left backs???  The last LB who got universal praise was Freddy Bouma, which was only because he broke his leg before we could get our pitchforks out and declare him shit!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Think where we almost where just after the play off final 2018, Dr Tony, bankruptcy, best players possibly leaving... god it could’ve all be so bad. But we’re here, and we’re hopefully about to be signing good players for good money and I love it! 

Amen to that, fine margins and all that.

2 minutes ago, KMitch said:

I don't get all the Targett hate...  What is it with VillaTalk & left backs???  The last LB who got universal praise was Freddy Bouma, which was only because he broke his leg before we could get our pitchforks out and declare him shit!!!

I like Targett.    Think he's pretty ok for a lower level Premier league team.  If he can improve slightly this season, he'll be good enough for us for now.

6 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Would be happier with Wilson if he’s not the only striker we bring in

I'm not excited about Wilson, but he does have the experience in the League.

Wilson, Watkins, Wesley and Samatta in infinitely better than the options we ended the season with.

We could finally have one of those cool front line monickers some clubs have.

" WWW destroy Fulham with scintillating attacking display" 

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

In all fairness, if we get Watkins, when Wesley is fit those two will contest a starting spot - not sure we need another striker other than an upgrade on Davis, which if reports are true would probably be Wilson. 

Confused why you think a guy who has played well in the division before will be third choice behind a guy who has never played a minute of top-flight football *and* a guy recovering from a broken leg who couldn't cut the mustard last time. Maybe you're right, but it's not how I see it.

6 minutes ago, Jareth said:

In all fairness, if we get Watkins, when Wesley is fit those two will contest a starting spot - not sure we need another striker other than an upgrade on Davis, which if reports are true would probably be Wilson. 

This is exactly why I'm not keen on getting Watkins in. 

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Confused why you think a guy who has played well in the division before will be third choice behind a guy who has never played a minute of top-flight football *and* a guy recovering from a broken leg who couldn't cut the mustard last time. Maybe you're right, but it's not how I see it.

Just that Wesley's in his 2nd season and was bought to start matches - and now has half a season under his belt. Watkins if even close to £28m, will start the season up front while Wes is recovering, we then need another option better than Davis and Samatta on the bench. Is that Wilson? I would hope not for too much money...

Can't believe anyone would actually turn their noses down at Wilson...  We would be creaming in our pants if we were linked to him last summer after his double digit scoring season.  TBH, his career has been very Darren Bent-ish to me... Hopefully, we won't sell the supporting cast/supply line for his chances after signing him on!

16 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Would be happier with Wilson if he’s not the only striker we bring in

Wilson is very uninspiring, but will be a bit of an upgrade on what we have.  These and Cash feel like moving from 17th to 14th rather than pushing for top half.  Probably all make sense but it's not really the level of player I was hoping for to take us up the table.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I think we will be doing more of a "wide forward" thing this season with Watkins on one side to be fair.

More attacking fullbacks to add further width. So Wilson or Wesley could start as CF.

Edit: Benerahma or the ghost of Rashica as the other wide forward? 

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Just that Wesley's in his 2nd season and was bought to start matches - and now has half a season under his belt. Watkins if even close to £28m, will start the season up front while Wes is recovering, we then need another option better than Davis and Samatta on the bench. Is that Wilson? I would hope not for too much money...

Maybe not a popular opinion, but I don't really think Wesley should be playing much if at all for us this season. Whatever people's views on him last year (I'm very bearish on him personally, but others seem to disagree) he's not going to have got better or more confident as a result of his injury. The ideal would be to get him back to fitness in time for January, then loan him somewhere where he can bully defences for the second half of the season, and then see where we stand next summer. Wilson and Watkins would be the two top choices, and we could loan Davis and keep Samatta for a year as 3rd choice.

Of course it won't happen like that, but the bigger picture is that I think Wilson is a much better and more accomplished striker than seems to be the consensus on this forum, so I doubt he's going to be 3rd choice for the season.

2 minutes ago, rubberman said:

Wilson is very uninspiring, but will be a bit of an upgrade on what we have.  These and Cash feel like moving from 17th to 14th rather than pushing for top half.  Probably all make sense but it's not really the level of player I was hoping for to take us up the table.

I get this completely - it doesn't feel very exciting. But our strikers scored 6 times last season between them all - I'd have thought with good delivery we'll see at least 3 times that return from Watkins, Wilson, Wesley, maybe more. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I think we will be doing more of a "wide forward" thing this season with Watkins on one side to be fair.

More attacking fullbacks to add further width. So Wilson or Wesley could start as CF.

Fair, that's also a plausible option. Though was Watkins actually good as a wide forward? Hasn't his breakout season come about because of a move to CF?