Viljami Sinisalo

HanoiVillan

Rumours strengthening that a season long loan deal to Exeter is about to be announced. As said earlier on this thread Exeter in need of a first choice keeper.

The last loan keeper we had at Exeter was Cameron Dawson of Sheffield Wednesday whose career has been transformed for the better. If it turns out as good as that it will be a great move

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

He only played 4 games in league one last season and conceded 10 goals before being sent back to us, so I really hope he's more prepared to step up now to that level 

• Like 1

Not sure how to feel about this one.

As a Villa fan I want him to do well, play lots of games, keep lots of clean sheets and develop.

As someone who also follows Argyle, I kinda want him to stink up the place and see Exeter do awful.

46 nil-nil draws it is then.

• Haha 1

On 18/06/2023 at 20:58, VillaChris said:

He's still pretty young. 

Just checked when Leicester were loaning Iversen out to Preston and he was 23-24.

Pickford was still out on loan at 22 aswell but you do feel he needs to make an impact in league 1 this time given Burton wasn't a great few months for him at all.

Emi was on loan in the Championship at 26

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Shocked 1

2 hours ago, skarroki said:

He only played 4 games in league one last season and conceded 10 goals before being sent back to us, so I really hope he's more prepared to step up now to that level 

Was it that he was unprepared or was it a poor defence in front of him? He seems to be very highly rated by the club. 

It's a bit odd. You know when a player signs or is touted there's a highlights reel that makes virtually every new signing look world class.? In this lad's case somebody (a Burton fan?) went to the trouble of making a lowlights reel showing his mistakes/goals conceded  last season , of which there were quite a few , including some howlers.

But on Villa's website he's listed as the third keeper behind Martinez and Olsen, following Steer's departure. And of course was on the bench in the Premiership a lot late last season. If that lowlights reel had been a fair representation he'd not be within a million miles of Villa's first team.

I've not seen anything other than the lowlights reel. So I'm hoping he's a class keeper who went through a spell of poor form. And that form is temporary but class is permanent....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Exeter Fan Too said:

It's a bit odd. You know when a player signs or is touted there's a highlights reel that makes virtually every new signing look world class.? In this lad's case somebody (a Burton fan?) went to the trouble of making a lowlights reel showing his mistakes/goals conceded  last season , of which there were quite a few , including some howlers.

But on Villa's website he's listed as the third keeper behind Martinez and Olsen, following Steer's departure. And of course was on the bench in the Premiership a lot late last season. If that lowlights reel had been a fair representation he'd not be within a million miles of Villa's first team.

I've not seen anything other than the lowlights reel. So I'm hoping he's a class keeper who went through a spell of poor form. And that form is temporary but class is permanent....

I've seen very little of him, but I think he's rubbish based on one match i saw him in. He is not within a million miles of Villa's first team. He was 4th keeper. Steer second and injured, Olsen 3rd and terrible, then Sinisalo. On the bench with Olsen just so he could be there as a third keeper in the pre match warm up to get the strikers' confidence up. Never going to play. 

I've staked my entire reputation on him not making it. Do Exeter need a new keeper? 

Burton conceded loads of goals without SInisalo last season, I think they just had a very poor defence, most keepers would probably struggle in their team. Also for a goalkeeper in their early twenties League One is an high standard, not uncommon for top young keepers have to drop into non-league to get game time. For his age and position he's getting moves to an high level, and Finland national team seem to rate him, as do our goakeeping department., whether he will ever be good enough for first choice for us I don't know, but in general seems to be well liked.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Was it that he was unprepared or was it a poor defence in front of him? He seems to be very highly rated by the club. 

They conceded 69 goals in the other 42 games they played, it does look like they were pretty shocking most the time he was there though, in the relegation spots the entire time and only kept 3 clean sheets in 25 league games. 3 of the 4 teams he played were in the top 10 at the time he played them as well:

Accrington (7th) 4-4

Ipswich (1st) 1-0 loss

Oxford (17th) 2-1 loss

Charlton (9th) 3-3

Looks like they turned it round after he left. Not sure based on what I can find if he was recalled as we wanted more playing time, or if they sent him back because they didn't want him. 

Hasselbaink left start of September and Sinisalo played 3 of his 4 games under him in that first month so maybe that shows the new manager just preferred a different player in the squad. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Exeter Fan Too said:

I think he also won a Finnish cap recently and Under 21 player of the year.

I didnt see any of his Burton clips but I think from reports they changed managers who preferred the other keeper as he was more experienced

Hope it works out for him at Exeter. Looks like he had a bit of a bruising experience at Burton. Their defence last season was clearly a disaster, and you wonder if they had any concept of coaching support for their goalkeepers. They went through four different keepers, all of whom let in shed loads of goals. None of them are any longer at the club. 

Edited by briny_ear

On 12/07/2023 at 15:50, YLN said:

I've seen very little of him, but I think he's rubbish based on one match i saw him in. He is not within a million miles of Villa's first team. He was 4th keeper. Steer second and injured, Olsen 3rd and terrible, then Sinisalo. On the bench with Olsen just so he could be there as a third keeper in the pre match warm up to get the strikers' confidence up. Never going to play. 

I've staked my entire reputation on him not making it. Do Exeter need a new keeper? 

Exeter needed another keeper. Currently  there's an experienced keeper who fans think is a decent reserve but doubtful about as first choice. There's also a very promising 18 year old who has gone out on loan to Weston super Mare. So a season long loan of VS is ideal. 

Whether he plays most games will depend (I guess) on performances. One snag is international breaks. Exeter games continue during them so even if VS is first choice he'll be replaced a total of five times during the international breaks and will then have to fight for his league place again.

On 12/07/2023 at 15:50, YLN said:

People might have said the same of a young Emi Martinez 

On 12/07/2023 at 17:50, YLN said:

😐

Have you considered staking something of any value? 

• Haha 2

My gut feeling based on the start of the pre-season is that we haven't quite cut our losses with Sinisalo. This loan seemed sorted quite early on, if we genuinely thought he wouldn't make it and we could sell him to a lower league side then I think we'd have waited till later in the window to see if a deal could be reached with a different team.

We've got Marschal and Zych still at the club so be interesting now to see if either of them step up to be second choice. I think a new 2nd choice coming in without Olsen leaving would be damming for the younger lads.

Be watching Sinisalo with interest and really hope he gets himself a clean sheet nice and early in the season 

• 2 weeks later...

Be interested in @Exeter Fan Too and @Exeter Fan opinions on their chances this season. I've been paying attention to them since Sinisalo went on loan to them and I personally think they've had a pretty horrendous transfer window. Unless the few youth players they promoted are league 1 quality, they've got a paper thin squad and lost almost every player that impressed last year. 

Only 10 points above relegation roughly and worried they've lost the players that earned them that cushion. Sinisalo could be busy early on unless they make a lot of transfers in the next couple days. Either that or he'll be sat on the bench again behind Wood

Â