Viljami Sinisalo

HanoiVillan

On 20/07/2023 at 00:55, briny_ear said:

Hope it works out for him at Exeter. Looks like he had a bit of a bruising experience at Burton. Their defence last season was clearly a disaster, and you wonder if they had any concept of coaching support for their goalkeepers. They went through four different keepers, all of whom let in shed loads of goals. None of them are any longer at the club. 

sounds like Burton need a brick layer, not a goal keeper

• Haha 1

Found it funny that Exeter have signed Sinisalo that Burton deemed not good enough for them, and Burton have signed Blackman from Exeter. They're replacing each other but had very different seasons last time out. 

Watched the game yesterday, well some of it. Exeter have changed their playing style and are now playing a basic version of how we play. That should help sinisalo. Didn't really have too much to do in the 45 mins or so I watched, played it out on the ground 70% of the time.

Should be looking at mid table and upwards this season, the preseason games were almost like when we changed our way of playing, players trying to get more used to keeping it rather than launching it every time. 

15 hours ago, Exeter Fan Too said:

Sinisalo keeps a clean sheet in an opening day 3-0 away win. He has the number 1 shirt and is currently obviously first choice (with a 30 something experienced pro as back up/challenge)

(In reply to Skarroki the swapping of Sinsalo and Blackman as Exeter/Burton keepers is down to money. Exeter were desperate for a quality keeper last season and paid big bucks (in Exeter's terms) for a season of Blackman. The new manager has explicitly said that he wants to spend that money elsewhere in the squad. Exeter sees itself as an 'opportunity' club where players can build (or re-build) their careers. This is Sinisalo's opportunity and everyone hopes he takes it with both hands. 

Also I expect Sinisalo to be busy in a battle against relegation for precisely the reasons Skarroki mentions. Half the team gone including the best players. Replacements made up of inexperienced Premier loanees,  signings from non league and a couple of midfielders who haven't played for 18 months because of injury. Will depend on how well this recruitment works out. Six debutants starting yesterday and a 7th on after 15 minutes. Though I'd settle for the table as it now stands...)

Tom Carroll is a great pick up, hopefully he'll do well. Didn't work out for him at all at Villa but should be one of the best in the league at that level if he keeps fit (big if I know)

Thanks for answering all of that 😊 following the YouTube account and watching with keen interest now. Huge win especially considering it would have been 4-0 if not for a saved pen. 

Clips from the end of the game Sinisalo looked like he was loving the love from the crowd. Opening game results like that can define a season but a paper thin squad might take its toll. Who knows. Exeter seem a great club though so fingers crossed they do well and Sinisalo smashes it to help you up the league. 

15 hours ago, Exeter Fan Too said:

Also I expect Sinisalo to be busy in a battle against relegation for precisely the reasons Skarroki mentions. Half the team gone including the best players. Replacements made up of inexperienced Premier loanees,  signings from non league and a couple of midfielders who haven't played for 18 months because of injury. Will depend on how well this recruitment works out. Six debutants starting yesterday and a 7th on after 15 minutes. Though I'd settle for the table as it now stands...)

I love it. A Proper football club and wheeling and dealing too to build a squad on a shoestring.

It's even better if it all comes together and pays off this season.

Good luck to you boys this season. I'll be keeping half an eye on you now.  

1 hour ago, Exeter Fan Too said:

Two league games, two clean sheets. And an important 1 on 1 save in the dying minutes from the opposing striker clean through on goal.

For Villa fans wanting a look, on Tuesday on Sky - Portsmouth v Exeter.

Was a good save, watched most of the game and rankine was pretty much useless. Sweeney was reliable and some decent play and Caroll is showing his class.

Need a rowbottom Stockleigh or Reid type forward, someone who knows how to score 

On 06/08/2023 at 08:39, mjmooney said:

Exeter is a nice place to live. My wife hails from there. 

I went to St James’s Park in 1984 for a league cup game, it was Simon Stainrods debut. He scored four goals.

Ended up losing 1 nil, the goal came from a sinisalo kick which fell to a Portsmouth player, 2 passes and in the back of the net. The ball played to him was unnecessary.

He must be gutted, deserved a clean sheet.

Rankine was very poor yet again.

Exeter lost the midfield and resorted to long ball tactics for a large majority of the game when they had been playing it out from the back.

Edited by brummybloke

Â