Relegation thread

Knutserov13

Both the BBC and Sky’s prediction pundits have got Villa to stay up. Lawrenson is predicting all three teams lose, but Charlie Nicholas has us drawing 1-1, with Watford and Bournemouth both losing. 

Not that it really matters as their guess is as good as anyone’s, but I’d take either as long as we stay up.  

Anyway back to mr potato...

• Haha 1

I have believed all along we would stay up although I was losing hope a few saturday's ago when our opponents had opened a 7 point gap.  Since our win against Arsenal is the first time I have been really nervous, while it's good being in pole position it's also a bit unnerving and I keep thinking of the bad permutations.  I still believe though!!!

On 23/07/2020 at 21:50, GingerCollins29 said:

If we stay up:

A huge achievement after the mega rebuild.

Money to burn.

No Suso.

Potential to attract some big name players.

Huge potential to push on and cement our place.

Possibly keep jack.

Positives in every scenario!!

Eh? 

1 hour ago, Rob182 said:

This ‘they tend to balance our’ idea is a myth though. How can dodgy decisions throughout a season always balance out? It’s a bunch of completely random occurrences.

Forgetting the slips, trips and fortuitous bounces, the wrong decisions have actually gone against us.

Off the top of my head, the wrong decisions (VAR/ Ref/ hawk eye) that have gone against us are:

- Lansbury’s Palace goal disallowed

- Man Utd given a non-penalty

-  Arsenal handball in the box, should have been a Pen to us

- McGinn climbed on top of in the Spurs penalty area, no pen given

- Mings adjudged to have handballed it with his shoulder, giving Leicester a Pen

The wrong decisions that have gone FOR us, are these:

- Sheff United goal over the line

- Sakho shoulder goal ruled out as handball against Palace

There may be others I’m forgetting. But I’m pretty confident that the ‘wrong’ decisions have gone against us this season.

All that is true Rob....but a bad workman blames his tools, its life in this league.....most clubs have a story to tell....except the top ones, who seem to avoid bad desisions ( hush my mouth)

We have to focus on what really matters ......us and getting better.....clumsy and untidy play, can attract poor decisions, shouldn't but they do....thats why the lower teams seem to suffer more.

2 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Aren't the rumours going round that he wont be here next season, so hopefully recruitment will be better. Happy to be corrected.

Pretty sure he won't be going anywhere, nor will Dean or Purslow.  If you get rid of Suso you probably end up losing all the work and scouting of players we have done and have to start again.  If we stay up then we can hopefully attract the first choice targets rather than the second or third choice and suddenly our recruitment looks fine after all.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Why in gods name are we still debating Bruce?

because, every time I make an observation or criticism about Deans work......I get hit with my defence of Bruce.....I shouldn't answer, I know.

The tragedy is JV i have no allegiance to Bruce, in fact I was in support when he went.....but I have to confess, I was grateful when he stopped the rot after RDM, something I could not see ending.

Briny put it in a nutshell today, Bruce was villified, almost from his early tenure and it was personal.....I tried to defend him from that, but as for his style of football, I had no love for it......However like Deans remarkable 10 win run, I also thought steves 24 wins in a season was worth mentioning..

18 months on and he is still brought up......just to highlight their assumption, I am biased....which is untrue or certainly not my intention to be.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

because, every time I make an observation or criticism about Deans work......I get hit with my defence of Bruce.....I shouldn't answer, I know.

The tragedy is JV i have no allegiance to Bruce, in fact I was in support when he went.....but I have to confess, I was grateful when he stopped the rot after RDM, something I could not see ending.

Briny put it in a nutshell today, Bruce was villified, almost from his early tenure and it was personal.....I tried to defend him from that, but as for his style of football, I had no love for it......However like Deans remarkable 10 win run, I also thought steves 24 wins in a season was worth mentioning..

18 months on and he is still brought up......just to highlight their assumption, I am biased....which is untrue or certainly not my intention to be.

I’m sure you and Briny were the founders of the Bruce appreciation society? ;)

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

Really? You’re comparing the performance of an experienced Benitez-prepared squad versus a fledgling work in progress team. Apples and Oranges

For a true comparison let’s look at 14th in the Championship versus a record breaking promotion season with the exact same players

you say that, but fail to see the players Dean Inherited when he took over.....Jack Grealish, Tammy Abraham, Elmo, John McGinn, El Ghazi....you see you have the same blinkered view you blame others for....you want your cake and eat it.

some call that a basket case....some basket case that.

10 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’m sure you and Briney were the founders of the Bruce appreciation society? ;)

Oh don't worry, Briny and I have had our differences in the past.....thing is, his thinking is logical and fair and debatable.

You see.....after all this time and text, you still don't get that i have no favour for steve Bruce......what I have done is merely answer posts where he has been villified or IMO unfairly labelled.......now that is not championing a guy, that is merely defending him.

don't get the context confused.

ps I'm done with this.

pps Hope we win tomorrow.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, TRO said:

BULLSHIT

Bruce got longer fan support than any Villa manager except maybe Lambert in the last decade. His 1st season had many poor performances and people still offered to judge him after he had a pre-season. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, TRO said:

you say that, but fail to see the players Dean Inherited when he took over.....Jack Grealish, Tammy Abraham, Elmo, John McGinn, El Ghazi....you see you have the same blinkered view you blame others for....you want your cake and eat it.

some call that a basket case....some basket case that.

You seem to think you are refuting my argument, but you’re actually supporting it

Rather than make an uneven comparison between Bruce and Smith this season where they are managing different squads at different stages of development, a more realistic comparison should be based on what they could do with the same players (Jack Grealish, Tammy Abraham, Elmo, John McGinn, El Ghazi etc)

Please explain how this is “blinkered” or “having my cake and eating it”

NB I wasn’t a fan of his football but I was a supporter of Bruce until very late on - I’ve no axe to grind with him but feel that Smith has done a much better job in his time here