Pre-Match Thread

MaVilla

1 hour ago, rjw63 said:

After last night anything but three points is going to be a huge let-down

Indeed.

I hate to say it but if you offered me a win and a loss out of both these games I would have taken the Bournemouth game all day long, think we stay up if we win it.

This weekend is huge, not just because we are playing Bournemouth, but largely it's the bottom half playing each other, with a couple of sides playing teams they should really lose to. 

I expect after this weekend the league to split in to three with a bigger gap between the bottom and the upper middle positions of the league. 

9 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

The back three has solved that issue for us more than Hause IMO.

If he was right footed he wouldn't be playing.

He won't be dropped anyway. 

He's getting close to scoring recently actually. Be nice if he could nod one in at the other end.

He is doing fine defensively. I just think the team needs to organise it so that he is not the player trying to start attacks from the left back position, because his passing and decision making is pretty poor. I would rather see the ball being worked to our central midfield to try to break the lines - watching Hause try to link play down the left just isn't ideal

11 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

So massive.

Reina or Nyland?

Drink or Luiz?

Ghazi or Trez?

There's the decisions.

I personally would bring Engels in for Hause. He's just too shaky on the ball for me, he's going to lose the ball badly soon and I don't want it to cost us points. He's in the team because he's left footed and that's not enough of an excuse for me.

Are you serious?

These aren't even decisions. Team picks itself. Play your best team and you have the chance of winning.

.........................Reina...................

-------------Konsa..Mings..Hause.....

Guilbert.................................Targett

...................Luiz..Nakamba...............

El Ghazi............Davis.............Grealish

With all due respect to Drinkwater and Sematta. They are both miles off the pace. Luiz and Davis are miles ahead of them in terms of fitness and i would even say in terms of ability.

Edited by villalad21

22 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

spacer.png

Almost feel sorry for them. In a perfect world I wouldn’t mind Bournemouth staying in the PL. Obviously it’s us or them though so they can go to hell as far as I’m concerned.

(I went though a lot of emotions during this post)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

The biggest threat might be the “after the Lord Mayors show” syndrome. What should counter that is the fact that this game is bigger in terms of importance. 
No doubt I’ll get pelters for saying this, but I’d start Drinkwater over Luiz in this. I’d also be starting with Samatta. We have to look at the entire picture, and getting Drinkwater up to match pace is part of the bigger picture. Luiz has proven to be excellent off the bench, and games should be looked at as 14 man events, we have to have preparations in place for utilising the 3 subs as effectively as possible. Our options are improving, Keinan & Luiz on the bench show that. The only way players get match fit is to play games from the off, when everybody else is at full tilt. If everyone is fit I only make two changes from last nights team, bringing in Reina & Drinkwater for Nyland & Luiz. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think Luiz would be better suited for this game than Drinkwater, his range of passing will be key to expose their defence.  Maybe keep Drinkwater for harder opposition. I'd play the exact same team as yesterday but change Reina for Nyland. 

34 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

The biggest threat might be the “after the Lord Mayors show” syndrome. What should counter that is the fact that this game is bigger in terms of importance. 
No doubt I’ll get pelters for saying this, but I’d start Drinkwater over Luiz in this. I’d also be starting with Samatta. We have to look at the entire picture, and getting Drinkwater up to match pace is part of the bigger picture. Luiz has proven to be excellent off the bench, and games should be looked at as 14 man events, we have to have preparations in place for utilising the 3 subs as effectively as possible. Our options are improving, Keinan & Luiz on the bench show that. The only way players get match fit is to play games from the off, when everybody else is at full tilt. If everyone is fit I only make two changes from last nights team, bringing in Reina & Drinkwater for Nyland & Luiz. 

I think the fact that we played last night rather than tonight helps us somewhat ahead of Saturday. 

1 hour ago, supermon said:

I think Luiz would be better suited for this game than Drinkwater, his range of passing will be key to expose their defence.  Maybe keep Drinkwater for harder opposition. I'd play the exact same team as yesterday but change Reina for Nyland. 

Luiz is better suited in any game.

10 times the player. Do not rate Drinkwater at all. Even Hourihane and Lansbury are better imo

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

A win would be fantastic but as long as we don't lose and keep picking up points that will be fine. 

Need the win really. Tough games on the horizon and will open up a gap on Bournemouth. We’re playing well, have momentum; need to capitalise and strike while the irons hot. Ill be disappointed with a draw. Their form has been abysmal. Plus we owe them one for the reverse fixture.