Pre-Match Thread

MaVilla

Big big six pointer. Win and we can breathe a little, lose and we’re back in the s#%£.  If Samatta is fully fit I guess he starts, but if there is any doubt then Davis gets the nod. Nyland was great earlier this week, but if Reina is fit he starts for me.  Doubt Smith will do this, but the rest that started midweek get the nod also. Drinkwater on the bench.

He’s hoping we get an early goal, settle and then win quite comfortably.  1-3 win.

Reina

Konsa    Mings    Hause

Guilbert                                       Targett

Luiz          Nakamba    

El Ghazi           Samatta           Grealish

Subs:  Nyland, Engels, Elmo, Drinkwater, Hourihane, Trez, Davis

Also have to bear in mind that Watford have been one of the form sides in the league over the last ten games or so, so did well to get that win, and Burnley and Brighton were both away from home. Still think Bournemouth is a must win though, not saying we can't get anything from Southampton, Tottenham or Sheffeid United, but really need as many points on the board as possible before going into those games.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, useless said:

Also have to bear in mind that Watford have been one of the form sides in the league over the last ten games or so, so did well to get that win, and Burnley and Brighton were both away from home. Still think Bournemouth is a must win though, not saying we can't get anything from Southampton, Tottenham or Sheffeid United, but really need as many points on the board as possible before going into those games.

Yep, I'm definitely not trying to dismiss the form, because equally you've got to beat the teams around you.  Those 6 (well 5 of them) were all 6 pointers.  I just wanted to show that it's not as simple as the tide having turned.  On paper the opponents were not tricky and they are about to be.

Hopefully a lot of the matches coming up will be all but dead rubbers to our opponents by the time we get there, and they turn up in flip-flops with a beach ball under their arms :D

Well this one, will take our minds off the transfer window won't it? We face yet another vital game tomorrow, against a side that are relegation rivals. We will no doubt be buoyed by our midweek semi final win and after this game, the team, will have a fortnight's well earned r&r to recuperate from their efforts. A win would be excellent, but in my opinion a draw would also be pretty good for us. Another win would take us 5 points clear of our hosts and an away point would keep us 2 points above them. 

We need to win or draw to prevent Bournemouth doing the double over us, for the first time. We have won on our last two visits to them (in 2015 & 1988) and we have only lost there once. That was on our first visit to Dean Court in 1972, when we lost 3-0. We did however, go up as third division champions that season and left them behind us, as they ended third, three points behind Brighton. Overall, we have won 3 and have drawn 1, of the 7 league games that there have been between the two clubs. A win is needed, a draw is the only other result that will keep us on the right track. Just do it for us again Villa! :flag:   

• Like 1

25pts so far.

Points versus bottom 9 this season = 24

Points versus top 11 this season = 1

Games left versus bottom 9 = 4

Games left versus top 11 = 10

• Sad 2

of that top eleven now, in the league, it's only really 3 or 4 sides that are very tough - leicester, wolves, chelsea, liverpool... Palace are sliding, Sheffield United - could easily knacker themselves out, Arsenal, Spurs, United aren't the teams they once were. I'm not too worried about many of the sides. Indeed we play Liverpool in mid April when they almost certainly will have won the league by then. Let's hope it's not that weekend that could clinch it though. 

Still lot's of ifs, but as a prospect, it doesn't worry me too much. 

4 hours ago, BOF said:

On paper the opponents were not tricky and they are about to be.

Good job we got some practice in against a very tricky opponent inbetween those last 6 league games and came out of it unbeaten home and away with a big upturn in performance 😏

I think tomorrow is the first time this season im going into a game fully expecting us to win. Thats purely down to how we’ve performed in the last 2 especially. Team and formation has clicked.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BOF said:

25pts so far.

I think that stat is a little misleading as we’ve played most of those top 11 away so far, which is reflected in the points haul and we’ve been generally good at home.

Our 3rd hardest away game left is Southampton based on league position, who also happen to be bottom of the home table..

I see our remaining fixtures are more favourable that the first half of the season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BOF said:

25pts so far.

Games left vs top 11 at Villa Park? Also Southampton who we play away are in top 11 yet have worst home form in league

Edit: lol replied to post and since read Elton above has made same points

Edited by Kiwivillan

I think I fancied us more before our win on Tuesday than I do right now. Tomorrow is all about having the right mindset straight from kick-off, that's key for me, they flew out of the traps at VP and we gifted them a 2 goal lead which we obviously can't afford to do again. It's a big positive however that Mings will be going back to his old club and will be desperate to show them what they have missed out on.

If we defend well then no doubt we have players that can hurt them so here's hoping for a vital 3 points. 

Same team that started against Leicester except Reina in for Nyland (as well as he did) and I'd start Davis for Samatta for his ability to hold the ball up and bring others in to play, though to be honest I'd be happy with either, it's just nice to have an actual forward on the team sheet! 

UTV 

6 minutes ago, MNVillan said:

Listen fellas and ladies, it’s past midnight here in Minnesota and I’ve convinced my family to wake up with me to watch the 9 AM match tomorrow. Bought my old man and the wife Villa shirts, and we’ll be cheering loud and proud. Up the Villa, and we owe Bournemouth one. Bring back the 3 points

Your family have to be convinced to wake up by 9:00 AM???   Slug-abeds!   I have to get up at 7:00 to watch, and any time I start feeling sorry for myself I remember our VT friends in Oz and Kiwi land and feel fortunate.

34 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

I start feeling sorry for myself I remember our VT friends in Oz and Kiwi land and feel fortunate

That's me. I'm afraid I'm going to have to try and sleep through this for sanity and work reasons. No doubt I'll wake up mid game 3am and be wrecked for Monday. This game terrifies me more than any other yet. I think we should get a result but feels like such a banana skin. Hoping for 3pts and do a job on Spurs at home and go on a mini run

Edited by Kiwivillan

39 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

Your family have to be convinced to wake up by 9:00 AM???   Slug-abeds!   I have to get up at 7:00 to watch, and any time I start feeling sorry for myself I remember our VT friends in Oz and Kiwi land and feel fortunate.

A fairly reasonable 11pm kick off for me, I just need to try and not have to much vino before hand!

• Like 1

I remember last time we faced Bournemouth. 

Everyone were so overconfident and cocky in here pre game and they ended up beating us at VP.

Ake was phenomenal. Hopefully he doesn't put in a similar performance. 

Prediction: 1-1

Edited by villalad21

17 hours ago, BOF said:

25pts so far.

It has to be noted that you really dont want too many relegation threatened teams on the run in. It's good to get them out of the way before the real fight starts.

• Like 1