Generic Virus Thread

villakram

19 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think for me the problem is that I do more in a day at the office than in a week at home. My head tells me one place is for working in and one isn't. 

Obviously doesn't affect me now I'm retired, but I used to feel the same. I didn't mind having the odd WFH day - say if there was bad snow or some such - but generally I preferred going into the office. More face-to-face communication, social contact (OK, pub lunches), etc., and a clear distinction (as you say) between the work and home environments. I even used to enjoy the commute - if I was on the bus it was reading time, in the car it was listening to music, and running on Fridays. 

Not working at all is still better, mind...   :)

• Like 2

I get up at 5 and walk to the computer. I finish at 5 on a good day. Today it was 7. This isn’t sustainable. At least with an office it didn’t open till 7.30 and it closed at 5.30. 

• Sad 1

Much prefer being at home. Extra hour / hour and half in bed and i'm still logged on at roughly the same time I would be in the office. 

I do far more work at home than the office as i'm not being disturbed by colleagues wanting to chat. I do miss a bit of social interaction but the benefits outweigh the negatives for me. 

I am strict though. No TV or personal internet usage until I log off my work laptop.

Less travel stress as well.... got sick of packed trains, cancelled trains and general uncertainty on how I would get home if there was a travel problem. Plus I'm saving money.

Across the board for the department i'm in, people are working harder and more flexibly. People with kids are doing the hours later in the day. Sickness is pretty much zero now as well. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I get up at 5 and walk to the computer. I finish at 5 on a good day. Today it was 7. This isn’t sustainable. At least with an office it didn’t open till 7.30 and it closed at 5.30. 

Can you...not?

I go through cycles, of taking the world on my shoulders, putting in 12 hour days, skipping my lunch, and basically working, eating, sleeping, back to work. Today i'm on the other half of the cycle, realising nobody gives a shit, I get paid the same, and I can just do my job and no more. Started at 8:59 today, took an hour for lunch, finished exactly when I should have. I may do this some more.

7 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

You sound like me 2 years ago

The work will be there tomorrow. Don't make yourself ill. 

I have a fairly simple system, if the door is closed then I’m either concentrating on something or on a call so the family don’t disturb me. I don’t have any TV or anything like that during the day. 

I sometimes have music or radio through the Amazon Echo but still working (ish).

I’m getting everything done from home that I could do in the office. I’m finding that if I message or call a colleague they are almost certainly to reply quickly. Previously they’d be off on meetings or walking around site etc.

Meanwhile in the US

Coronavirus updates: California closing all bars, indoor restaurants statewide

California is seeing hospitalizations rise and an increase in positivity rate.

As the pandemic intensifies in California, Gov. Gavin Newsom said Monday he is closing all bars and all indoor restaurants statewide.

Also among the indoor businesses that must close are: wineries, movie theaters, zoos, museums, family entertainment centers and card rooms.

Thirty counties will now be required to close indoor operations for gyms, malls, places of worship, personal care services, hair services and non-critical offices.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/coronavirus-updates-mexico-now-covid-19-deaths-italy/story?id=71747407

13 minutes ago, Xann said:

The noises about long term damage from Covid seem to have got louder today.

Hope they're wrong, because it's not just about the lungs.

Yeah read a article about a lot of people getting heart injuries from it.

54 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

This isn't a wfh problem. It's a workload problem

• Like 1

Well, been in a meeting today trying to work out exactly how much we can scale back the size of physical office we have.

For me, working from home, I’ve lost 15kg’s. The time I’d have been commuting, I’m exercising, chatting with my family or playing a record or cooking better slower food. It’s saved me money, I get more sleep, I’m not spending 2 hours a day sat in a car doing 11 miles per hour.

The new regime will be Monday’s in the office, Thursday’s in the office and whenever else it might be needed.

That’s going to work out as a rental saving of nearly £20,000 per year.

That’s somebody keeping their job, working from home.

• Like 4

We have a huge call centre room at work, it's empty and will remain so. All our call takers will be WFH forever. It saves us nothing (well not much), the company owns the building

But, more staff are begining to be unfurloughed in the Tech Bunker, I have to teach them what I've learned during lockdown and then I'll be WFH except for maybe once a week. Bring it on, I much prefer working from home, tunes on, just doing my stuff and not getting distracted by the other crap that goes on in the office. The beauty of my job is, sometimes I'm busy with stuff that needs to be done pronto but the rest of it is long term project stuff. I'v now been given the task of improving the Speach Rcognition stuff, which is a bit fuzzy logic / Krypton Factor stuff with a completely different solution for each problem, I'm best left alone undisturbed.

• Like 1

I also prefer working from home and find I get a lot more done without the constant distractions you can get in an office environment. 

I do find I've been doing longer hours though so it's important to keep an eye on that as don't want to get into working hours that are not sustainable.

The flexibility with WFH is a winner though plus the savings not wasting money on petrol etc.

13 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I think the sweet spot for me would be some flexibility, 1-2 days in the office, 3-4 days from home.

That's it for me, but probably the other way around. Right now, I live 500m from the office but soon I'll be 15 or so miles so I'll definitely want that flexibility.

So mask-wearing is to become mandatory in shops from July 24th (yet again the government going for a really long lead-in time). Unfortunately, this change is occurring just as Britain's right-wing newspapers and asssorted other media outlets have started to turn anti-mask wearing into yet another front in the culture war:

etc etc.

I can't help but feel that this is creating a space on the Tories' right flank for a new party or pressure group to oppose even minimal public health measures (maybe Farage will be back . . .?). The base of media support is already in place, anyway.

Â