Generic Virus Thread

villakram

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

This is the whole argument of people being selfish (no offence)

You are of course right. The chances of YOU getting it are incredibly slim. Let's say it's 1 in a hundred

But it's not about you. It's about everyone.

It might be 1 in a hundred for you to get it so you think it's pointless wearing a mask to rule out that chance. But if there's a  hundred people then one of them will get it. If there is a thousand people, then ten of them will get it. If there's 10 thousand then 100 will get it. etc etc

In a country of 70 million people, that remote chance of you getting it extrapolates to a LOT of people. 

If you were the only person at risk of getting this then your argument would make total sense. But there's millions and millions of people here. If they all take that 1 in a hundred chance then that's suddenly a lot of people with the virus.

(and also the car crash comparison doesn't work because car crashes aren't infectious. If you being hit by a car meant 10 people around you got hit by a car, and then they made other people get hit by a car, well then you see the problem)

Eh? If the chances of me getting it are super low, surely the chances of me passing it on to anyone else are even lower......unless I'm missing something here?

8 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Eh? If the chances of me getting it are super low, surely the chances of me passing it on to anyone else are even lower......unless I'm missing something here?

Factor in the many people feeling the same as you, a proportion of carriers being asymptomatic and the exponential infection rate.

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I said ages ago in this thread that I think it's going to become common place now.

Not mandatory (long term) but in terms of people wearing them while travelling or in built up areas etc I think it'll be a far more regular occurence in Western countries. Just as you see people from Asian countries now in airports etc wearing them, I think that will become totally normal now in the west.

I think this is probably right, but I wouldn't want to bet too much on it. Pandemics have led to societal change before, but some have not. My suspicion this time though is that there may be a genie that cannot be put back into the bottle in terms of understanding how many people die during a typical flu season.

The other cultural change I very much hope for is an end to mocking nonsense about 'man flu', which hopefully has seen its final days.

59 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I live in an area with a very low rate of infection,

18 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

At one point, only one person had it, and they lived in China. So how the hell it got here is a mystery to me.

24 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Yes the chances are low. For you.

But when you apply that chance to millions of people then it means a lot of people are going to get it.

That's how statistic work.

If it's one in a hundred chance of you getting it or passing it on then you'll take that risk. But if a million people take that same risk, then that's 10,000 people who WILL get it.

Edited by Stevo985

7 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I think this is probably right, but I wouldn't want to bet too much on it. Pandemics have led to societal change before, but some have not. My suspicion this time though is that there may be a genie that cannot be put back into the bottle in terms of understanding how many people die during a typical flu season.

The other cultural change I very much hope for is an end to mocking nonsense about 'man flu', which hopefully has seen its final days.

Yeah I can see that.

To clarify I didn't mean everyone would be travelling in masks. Just that it would become MORE common.

As in if I went to an airport 6 months ago and took a flight to Ireland, and saw a few people in the queue to board wearing a mask I'd wonder what the **** was going on. 
Whereas in future I imagine there will be some people wearing masks to fly and travel for a long time to come, and nobody will bat an eyelid at them.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

At one point, only one person had it, and they lived in China. So how the hell it got here is a mystery to me.

Yep, so did swine flu and a million other diseases and viruses.

I’ve played my part to date, barely left the house (in relative terms) for 4 months now, barely spent any time interacting with other people, random or friendly.

Look, to be honest I’m not in a good mental place right now, the virus has killed my girlfriends job, it’s on the verge of killing my job so forgive me if I’m coming across as a knobhead right now but I’m beyond pissed off with all this shit.

8 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Look, to be honest I’m not in a good mental place right now, the virus has killed my girlfriends job, it’s on the verge of killing my job so forgive me if I’m coming across as a knobhead right now but I’m beyond pissed off with all this shit.

Not a happy place, unless you're a disaster capitalist, is it? 

Brexit's killing jobs at my work, and the f***witted voted for that! :wacko:

3 hours ago, ml1dch said:

As an aside, I'd recommed getting a washable one. I've been using disposable ones for weeks now and they always felt flimsy, itchy and like they were always going to fall off. 

Picked up cloth ones at the weekend and the difference is massive. Comfortable and feels like it would stay on during a hurricane.

Have to be machine washed at 60 degrees, don't they?

3 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

By this, do you mean that you don't want the law/regulation to remain once the pandemic is over, or that you hope the cultural norm of wearing a mask doesn't last?

I certainly wouldn't want it to be a long-term enforced regulation, but as a cultural norm I don't mind it during the height of flu season.

Both.

2 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Bowl, kettle and stick rather than waste a wash worth of water and detergent I reckon?

18 minutes ago, Xann said:

Bowl, kettle and stick rather than waste a wash worth of water and detergent I reckon?

Maybe but then that'll take an awful lot more drying unless we all invest in clothes wringers!

Edit: No, I don't have a tumble dryer.

Edited by snowychap

Just now, snowychap said:

Maybe but then that'll take an awful lot more drying unless we all invest in clothes wringers!

Edit: No, I don't have a tumble dryer.

Not a large garment, it shouldn't take that long to dry. It would take a hair dryer 30 seconds.

Buy a second mask if you've not got.a hairdryer? :) 

I've left my contract at Worcester Hospital for another, but I'm still doing bits and pieces as the incumbent super-dude. 

I had a call from the office manager last Friday and she informed me that of the 7 people working in the office, 6 have had it.  I was onsite in that very office until April, they all had it in March.  Only 1 person had any symptoms.  

Yet they've all had the antibody tests and they've all had it (I now believe I had it on March 3rd, I was sick as a dog for 1 day, then nothing, but I cannot confirm this.  My family were also ill for 2 weeks after me).

Unfortunately for me, the antibody tests are now unavailable.  

My family and I also got tested last Thursday, no virus thankfully.  But this thing is still around and it's still killing people (albeit less), so why not just follow the advice well one time, rather than having this last for as long as it will because people are too stubborn to make any changes to their poxy lives. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, snowychap said:

I’ve got reusable masks and gloves I’m using on rotation.

So less concerned about any strict wash regime as I know Monday’s kit isn’t being used again for a week.

Interesting link below of modelling apparently used by Governments worldwide.  Might explain why the Government has blinked regarding face masks:

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-kingdom

Looking at the projected number of daily infections in November without mandated masks looks slightly frightening, however compare the trend to the confirmed cases. 

Edited by trekka

Â