Generic Virus Thread

villakram

15 minutes ago, sne said:

The amount of elderly people living there as well.

Or is that just a TV and movie thing?

I think a lot of people retire to Florida because of the weather

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

I think a lot of people retire to Florida because of the weather

Yeah that's what I've learnt from Seinfeld, The Simpsons and about a 100 other shows and movies :D 

Elderly people, south American drug dealers and the swamp people. 

Edited by sne
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, sne said:

Yeah that's what I've learnt from Seinfeld, The Simpsons and about a 100 other shows and movies :D 

According to Wiki Florida has the 5th oldest average population of the US territories at 42.2

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

Florida has registered a state record of 15,299 new coronavirus cases in 24 hours - around a quarter of all of the United States' daily infections. 

The state, with just 7% of the US population, surpassed the previous daily record held by California. 

Florida, which began lifting coronavirus restrictions in May, has proved vulnerable due to tourism and an elderly population. 

Its figures eclipse the worst daily rates seen in New York in April. 

Florida also registered an additional 45 deaths. 

The state would rank fourth in the world for new cases if it were a country, according to a Reuters analysis. More than 40 hospitals in Florida say their intensive care facilities are at full capacity.

It’s not looking good

Link

5 hours ago, sne said:

I would add to that, obnoxious losers from New Jersey & New York who are so heinous that they can't fit in the in the North East. (Also career crooks, criminals of the Trump ilk.)

• Like 1

The US seemed to have a similar level of control of the virus as many other places around the word until a few weeks ago when the cases have gone through the roof. 
Of course Trump is partly right that it’s because they are testing far more people but there must be other factors. Are the protests and riots a significant factor?

10 minutes ago, Genie said:

The US seemed to have a similar level of control of the virus as many other places around the word until a few weeks ago when the cases have gone through the roof. 
Of course Trump is partly right that it’s because they are testing far more people but there must be other factors. Are the protests and riots a significant factor?

It seems like the reopening of pubs and bars is probably the biggest factor from what I’ve read. There is also a difference in what their leaders are telling their people over there. It seems very much a message that the virus is now not a big deal and the difficult part is over. People are responding to that accordingly. 

Edited by LondonLax
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, Genie said:

The increased testing is one thing, but that would not explain the steep increase in people needing care in hospitals. 

Hospitals are on the brink in many places with more and more cases coming in all the time.

With the kind of numbers we’re seeing in the US they must be at a very high risk of having their health system overrun (those that can afford to go to hospital).

I’d assume they haven’t been able to clear the books of non-essential treatments because they have been paid for.

It looks like a very toxic mix.

11 minutes ago, Genie said:

With the kind of numbers we’re seeing in the US they must be at a very high risk of having their health system overrun (those that can afford to go to hospital).

I’d assume they haven’t been able to clear the books of non-essential treatments because they have been paid for.

Long way to go but if it continues like this it must be hard for them to even hold the election in any safe-ish way.

Maybe that's the plan...

12 minutes ago, Genie said:

It’s a bit of a crazy medical system they have over there. The hospitals are typically private and make the bulk of their money on the expensive elective surgeries, not on treating patients who are taking up bed space for weeks. Just when you needed them most some of the hospitals were going bankrupt and having to close up and send patients elsewhere. 

1 hour ago, Genie said:

The protests don't appear to be a factor at all. The states and other areas that had the big protests - Minnesota, New York, Washington DC - are not the states suffering these big outbreaks. Furthermore, every study I have seen has suggested that there was very little transmission at the protests themselves.

What appears to be responsible is the general push to reopen things, and the complete complacency that the country had about the virus by May. States - especially states with Republican governors, but not only - decided that in the battle between 'public health' and 'the economy', the latter won. In this, they were partly being callous Trumpists, but also making a rational response to the fact that Congressional Republicans were making clear that they were going to withhold, or fight very hard to withhold, any further financial support for state and local governments.

16 minutes ago, Genie said:

I don't think any *cities* are in imminent danger of breaching their ICU surge capacity yet, but individual hospitals are filling up, and as I understand it, which may be wrong, that can cause problems because it can become the case that the hospitals with spaces are 'out of network' for your insurance coverage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Millions of people have realised they can do their jobs productively from home, saving money, saving time, and reaping the benefits of a much better work-life balance. Companies are realising they could save a fortune on city centre office space.

Personally, I detest working from home - it messes my work life balance up completely and I'm much less productive. If asked to work from home again, I'd probably end up going to a coffee shop or a pub. Work is work and home is home - that works for me - I'm really hoping I don't get forced out of the workplace.

• Like 3

Â