Generic Virus Thread

villakram

https://www.maritime-executive.com/article/weeks-after-heading-out-to-sea-fishing-crew-catches-covid-19

Weeks After Heading Out to Sea, Fishing Crew Catches COVID-19

Argentina's health officials have a mystery to contend with: almost every member of the crew of the trawler Echizen Maru has contracted COVID-19, despite the fact that the ship has been continually at sea for more than a month. 

In late May, long before the vessel set sail, the Echizen Maru's 61 crewmembers took a COVID-19 test in the Argentine capital of Buenos Aires and tested negative. They boarded a plane and flew to Ushuaia, where they entered a 14-day quarantine period at a hotel.

Weeks after they put out to sea, some individuals began to show COVID-like symptoms, and the Echizen Maru returned to port. Fully 57 out of 61 crewmembers tested positive; of the remaining four, two individuals are awaiting test results. 

It wasn’t so long ago that we were discussing how Florida seemed to be getting away with reckless behaviour and why it wasn’t converting into lots of cases of virus transmission... it’s catching up with them now.

Yesterday they had 13,965 cases and 156 deaths. Over 4,600 deaths for that state alone.

I can’t see why it will improve any time soon as they continue to ease restrictions.

19 hours ago, Genie said:

It wasn’t so long ago that we were discussing how Florida seemed to be getting away with reckless behaviour and why it wasn’t converting into lots of cases of virus transmission... it’s catching up with them now.

Yesterday they had 13,965 cases and 156 deaths. Over 4,600 deaths for that state alone.

I can’t see why it will improve any time soon as they continue to ease restrictions.

Disneyworld has just reopened in Orlando. Madness.

1 hour ago, snowychap said:

It has always been down to employers (if the workplace was open).

It has, but the official guidelines were “if you CAN work from home then you should”, even though technically a company didn’t have to do that. 

Im assuming it’s that message that is changing, which will prompt a lot of companies to get people back in the office

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Im assuming it’s that message that is changing, which will prompt a lot of companies to get people back in the office

Perhaps. Also, perhaps not.

The obligation and costs to make any office Covid-safe (regularly cleaned, sanitiser provided, distancing precautions) will fall on the employer. As will the costs of lost days due to future sickness.  And maybe legal liability if an outbreak happens, people die and they moved the staff back when they didn't need to.

Smaller offices, smaller running costs.

I can easily see a lot of employers (obviously not all) thinking that this has pushed them into a pretty sensible way of running things long-term.

• Like 1

The problem is that it puts all possible liability on the company if there aren’t clear instructions.

Go back to the office if you can, is useless bollocks. We can, there are roads that lead there, and a flappy hinged hole in the wall to let people in to the building.

Is it safe in a way where we won’t get sued by an asthmatic member of staff and our insurers will be sure we covered all our legal responsibilities? Well I guess that depends on whether we refer to actual legislation, or back dated quotes in selected newspapers.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Perhaps. Also, perhaps not.

The obligation and costs to make any office Covid-safe (regularly cleaned, sanitiser provided, distancing precautions) will fall on the employer. As will the costs of lost days due to future sickness.  And maybe legal liability if an outbreak happens, people die and they moved the staff back when they didn't need to.

Smaller offices, smaller running costs.

I can easily see a lot of employers (obviously not all) thinking that this has pushed them into a pretty sensible way of running things long-term.

You’re right. 100%

But also a lot of companies won’t. My other half works for Aldi and they are gagging to get them back in the office. 
They’ve already been back in 2 days a week each, even though most of them are perfectly capable of working from home and just as productive. 

Im almost certain this announcement will prompt them to start getting people back in as much as possible. 

Glad to say my employers have fully embraced people working from home and I don't think they want us back in the office. Its a good chance for them to review the real estate portfolio and maybe close a few sites.

47 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm almost certain this announcement will prompt them to start getting people back in as much as possible. 

34 minutes ago, Xela said:

Glad to say my employers have fully embraced people working from home and I don't think they want us back in the office.

This is it, isn't it. Some will, some won't, and it's all a bit arbitrary, a bit of a lottery. It seems like the better employers are more likely to adjust to the new way of things, and the worse ones are more likely to just "everyone back in".

You kind of wonder if a few things will happen - especially come the winter. Some workers will be asking their company "I'm working from home, I don't have an office chair, or a proper work environment - I've got a laptop on my knee sat at the kitchen table - I need a chair and a monitor and my heating and lighting bills have rocketed, and my internet costs and...so you need to help me here" I reckon the internet companies will put costs up - because they can and they will reckon  employers might start paying. And employers with people WFH will have savings on their heating and cleaning and rental and etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

It has, but the official guidelines were “if you CAN work from home then you should”, even though technically a company didn’t have to do that. 

Yeah i agree thats how i saw the governments message. It could be a slogan change but j think this gives more power to the employers now so basically you cant argue if you want to stay home 

25 minutes ago, blandy said:

This is it, isn't it. Some will, some won't, and it's all a bit arbitrary, a bit of a lottery. It seems like the better employers are more likely to adjust to the new way of things, and the worse ones are more likely to just "everyone back in".

You kind of wonder if a few things will happen - especially come the winter. Some workers will be asking their company "I'm working from home, I don't have an office chair, or a proper work environment - I've got a laptop on my knee sat at the kitchen table - I need a chair and a monitor and my heating and lighting bills have rocketed, and my internet costs and...so you need to help me here" I reckon the internet companies will put costs up - because they can and they will reckon  employers might start paying. And employers with people WFH will have savings on their heating and cleaning and rental and etc.

You are right there pete. As is stated  a few weeks ago been working from home since March and they saying its more productive to keep us doing this and not go back in (apparently our team does more work at home than we did in the office!) But my point is they are talking about taking london waitkng off us.  So 3.5k off our salary. But my boss says we can claim on gas electricity and internet. Also mobile phone calls.

So can see what your saying happening about the internet companies putting their prices up

• Like 1

Â