Generic Virus Thread

villakram

10 minutes ago, Xann said:

Not a large garment, it shouldn't take that long to dry. It would take a hair dryer 30 seconds.

Buy a second mask if you've not got.a hairdryer? :) 

I don't have a hairdryer, no.

Buy a second or maybe a third. They're only a fiver each. And hope that they don't get damaged then that'll be another fiver, &c.

Make sure you wash them at least once a day, when they get dirty or when they get wet. Wash your hands before putting them on, before removing them and after you have removed them and safely stored them in a clean, (re)sealable plastic bag.

All of this is on the WHO's website of how to properly use a cloth mask.

The point here is that - yes, just wanging any old bit of cloth over one's gob and hooter is easy enough and that looks like it'll be what the law goes with but this wouldn't appear to satisfy the requirements as per the WHO stuff (and others like the CDC) to have properly effective cloth face coverings.

As such, being someone who thinks that if you're doing this for public health reasons then it's probably important to do it right, I'll be keeping my trips to those places that require me to wear a face-covering to an absolute minimum untill the compulsion ends - not because I don't agree with the idea of wearing them (I have no problem) but that it is an extra cost and inconvenience if I were to be regularly and frequently having to do it.

42 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

A couple of minutes in the microwave would probably do it. 

Works when charging your iPhone 😉

*DO NOT TRY THIS

Edited by Follyfoot

There was a post by the local paper about compulsory wearing of masks on fb earlier, I couldn’t believe just how many people were going with “the government are doing it to control us”. Felt like a large majority.

9 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

There are still 20 people a week dying in the UK, the root cause of which is not wearing a mask when they were at work 20, 30, 40 years ago. They’d have felt silly or sweaty or couldn’t quite understand the guy next to them without seeing the lips move. Now they’ve died of lung disease or silicosis or whatever.

Covid is very unlikely to harm you significantly, but imagine if it did, because someone else didn’t want to wear a mask when they went in to B&Q for 10 minutes.

Because people are a bit funny about masks, they die. Not later the same day and not all of them. But people die where they didn’t need to and I suspect they are often people that also think crash helmets, seat belts and no smoking in pubs are all against our freedom of choice.

I thought the whole point with masks was that they mainly protect other people, not the wearer?

Website-upload-2-1030x530.jpg

Mask wearing is population protection, as well as protecting yourself.

The Venn diagram between being anti-mask wearing and being a brexit knuckledragger is almost a perfect circle. 

• Like 4

It's mandatory in my office already.

Obviously that's the company's choice. But I can see lots of other companies doing the same once they're trying to get people back in.

I imagine the government will make it mandatory in about November when everyone has been doing it for 3 months already

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KentVillan said:

I thought the whole point with masks was that they mainly protect other people, not the wearer?

So, you’ve taken a section of what was a two part exchange there.

First bit explained that the mask wearing was to protect the shop workers who are shown statistically to be at elevated risk as they are coming in to contact with lots of people. If they see a few hundred customers a day every day of the week, its a matter of time before someone yawns or sneezes or coughs or laughs or whatever. So that’s why shoppers should wear masks.

I then clunked in to the whole ‘culture’ thing of people in this country that don’t like wearing masks, and it literally kills them. From that, you can see that if shoppers don’t wear masks because they are worried about their rights and their culture, or herpes or oxygen saturation and all those other weak excuses then they will perpetuate covid in the community. So that shop worker you wouldn’t protect is going to go home on the same bus that your mum or your kids might use. 

It’s how it works, the mask is a truly minor temporary inconvenience to stop you infecting someone else and that someone else infecting your vulnerable friends and family.

So thinking beyond the ‘instant’ they protect both. Not perfectly, not every time, not 100%. But more than not doing it because you’re considering your freedom of choice.

12 hours ago, bickster said:

People who make comments on local paper websites...

1f89f25d-ac4c-4730-9d01-9fb426d6fdca.gif

Wasp nest. Dear neighbours We seem to have a couple of wasp nests in our garden. Can anyone recommend who to call Thanks ***

Posted in Recommendations To 20 neighbourhoods
ThankThank

Comment14 Comments
thank42.png

Andrew Wagg
I have previously used ************* & Vermin control for a wasps nest last year and would use again without hesitation

26 May
Thank

funny42.png

124c33f534314defa359aaf6cafc4ccd.svg
There is something you can buy off Amazon you just spray it on and it’s like foam, they are all blocked in and they die it was fantastic, save u a fortune, good luck
Tag a business
26 May
Thank

Hi ******* Thank you so much 😊

26 May
Thank

Mark Young

Get some white spirit and poke a hole in top with a dart and squeeze all over the nest then get one of those Long kitchen lighters and ignite. Make sure your quick Before they catch on
Tag a business
26 May
Thank

thank42.png

Henry Clamp

I had the same problem and puffed ant killer powder into the entrance at night

27 May
Thank

Carole Coleman

You lucky thing! Wasps are fascinating! As Robin says, they are good for the garden and don't sting if you leave them alone. You could photograph the nest or video the comings and goings then send those in to Springwatch

27 May
Thank

thank42.png

Leave them, they do a good job!
27 May
Thank

thank42.png

Thank you everyone for sharing your ideas around my wasp nest advice. much appreciated ****

27 May

Example of a local website providing a much needed service, no prize for guessing which one is my response 

10 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Website-upload-2-1030x530.jpg

Mask wearing is population protection, as well as protecting yourself.

The Venn diagram between being anti-mask wearing and being a brexit knuckledragger is almost a perfect circle. 

I think a misconception has developed, because of a few high profile figures (Trump, Boris, Toby Young, etc) that any kind of scepticism at all about various coronavirus measures is all about populism. But look at the Remain / Leave split here and it’s clearly more complicated than that (in the UK, anyway): image.thumb.png.49542ca52825cb9e76004134bbf73f9c.png

I have both permanent and disposable masks and will follow the rules, largely out of a desire to make other people feel comfortable, and not rock the boat.

But I wonder where the focus on masks has come from. “The science” is pretty shaky on masks AFAIK - yes I get the whole point about the multiplicative effect of everyone wearing one, and that turning a small marginal effect into a big population effect... but nobody seems to have a handle on exactly what that marginal effect is (of wearing makeshift masks outside a medical setting).

It’s another of the many tricky Covid problems which is being oversimplified by both sides, so that they can call each other fascists or imbeciles on social media.

Â