Generic Virus Thread

villakram

38 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

[the government] prepare properly

I think I spot the flaw in your plan. ;)

Edit: Apologies for the light-hearted tone given the next line in your post. Sorry to hear.

Edited by snowychap

1 hour ago, snowychap said:

I think I spot the flaw in your plan. ;)

Edit: Apologies for the light-hearted tone given the next line in your post. Sorry to hear.

No worries, the bit you were joking about deserves to be joked about.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

It's now been two weeks since the Black Lives Matter protests started in the UK (the one in Brum was 2 weeks ago yesterday, Colston came down 2 weeks ago Sunday), and there's been no bump whatsoever has there?

In London the R rate could be back above 1, apparently.  They give a range, not a pinpoint figure. The range is 0.6 to 1.1. Regardless, we don’t know if the protests and other episodes had no impact, had some impact in slowing the decline, or actually caused a reversal of decline.

until or unless it’s identified who is positive and where they caught it (track and trace etc.) then it’s not possible to say BLM did or didn’t lead to new cases. I hope it didn’t, the BLM cause is righteous.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Has a covid app appeared on everyone’s phones?

On android devices, Settings / google and there is a covid app.

I bloody hope our managed environment software has blocked this

New feature added to health app on ios too. Covid-19 exposure logging. Appeared yesterday by the look of it. 

Looks like its just a setting and needs another app to work with it. 

Edited by Seat68

Just now, chrisp65 said:

Mine is set to auto update overnight. It’s on mine.

We've got a couple of hundred drivers out there on Android devices we own, our managed environment should block any apps or updates being downloaded. The last thing we need is another app accessing the GPS data at the same time as the Driver App & Google Maps

12 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

New feature added to health app on ios too. Covid-19 exposure logging. Appeared yesterday by the look of it. 

Just found it in mine, had to dig deep. It is set to off.

Just turned on an Android phone and it wants to do an update but won't because battery is below 20%

30 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Looks like its just a setting and needs another app to work with it. 

Is the correct answer. This is exactly what Apple and Google promised to do. Provide an API that government created apps could use. Google and Apple NEVER said that they were developing an app, even though that was widely misreported in the media. When people said "why didn't the gov just use the Google/Apple app - it's because there never was one.

The level of outcry seems to be from the same people that don't want to be geotracked by their phone (but leave the tracking options active) or worry about tailored advertising (but don't turn it off). The new function doesn't do anything unless you install an app and grant it access.

• Like 3

Results of 2m distance review due next week.

Ha.

The pretence that its anything other than 'you no longer need a 2m distance' is hilarious. At the current moment in time we could understand that Covid-19 causes people to spontaneously combust at closer than 2m and they'd be reducing the distance.

9 hours ago, blandy said:

In London the R rate could be back above 1, apparently.  They give a range, not a pinpoint figure. The range is 0.6 to 1.1. Regardless, we don’t know if the protests and other episodes had no impact, had some impact in slowing the decline, or actually caused a reversal of decline.

until or unless it’s identified who is positive and where they caught it (track and trace etc.) then it’s not possible to say BLM did or didn’t lead to new cases. I hope it didn’t, the BLM cause is righteous.

I'm not sure R0 is the key metric anymore, though.

https://publichealthmatters.blog.gov.uk/2020/05/15/coronavirus-covid-19-real-time-tracking-of-the-virus/

It is important to note however that the R number is only one component that determines the rate of growth of the epidemic, and does not say anything about the rate of occurrence of new infections, the prevalence of infection across communities and the current burden faced by the healthcare system. It should, therefore, not be used as the sole indicator of the current threat posed by an epidemic.

As R0 is simply a function of the slope of the epidemic curve, it will naturally be at its lowest when the bell curve is sloping sharply downwards just past the peak, and then it will naturally bump up towards 1 as the curve flattens out. That flattening out doesn't necessarily mean the danger has increased - if anything, it means the danger has passed.

It's bizarre how much magical significance R0 has been given in all the govt comms, when it is simply a rate of change value. Anyone who's studied calculus will know that simply knowing a single rate-of-change value doesn't give you anywhere near enough information to plot a function.

What we should be talking about now is something directly observable - hospitalisations with severe Covid-19. It's faster than looking at deaths, and it's more concrete than looking at cases, which are distorted by changes in testing.

https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/covid-19-uk-hospital-admissions/

The daily Cabinet Office coronavirus briefings, publish Hospital Acute Trusts data in England from major emergency departments that provide a consultant-led 24-hour service (a type 1 A&E).

The graphs are interactive (place your cursor on the points to reveal the data)

123863130_ScreenShot2020-06-20at20_10_04.thumb.png.d09fec98767cf84fdeda180b612830fe.png

This goes up to mid-June (click through on the link above and you can see interactive versions).

There is no visible sign at all of an uptick in hospitalisations, even though the first UK BLM protest was on 31st May. The notorious overcrowding of the beaches in Dorset was even earlier in May.

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/18462766.coronavirus-concerns-crowds-pack-bournemouths-beaches/

21st May

Coronavirus: crowds pack Bournemouth's beaches

By Jim Durkin

THOUSANDS of people made the most of the sun at Bournemouth's beaches on Wednesday – for what has been tipped to be the hottest day of the year so far.

People have been flouting restrictions for weeks, now, and yet hospitalisations show no noticeable change whatsoever in the steady downward trend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Went to a clothes shop today first time since post lockdown.

As expected the "no touching clothes unless you want to buy" is impossible to implement. People touching all clothes mainly to feel the material, staff tk scared to upset or anger customers its just unworkable.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Went to a clothes shop today first time since post lockdown.

As expected the "no touching clothes unless you want to buy" is impossible to implement. People touching all clothes mainly to feel the material, staff tk scared to upset or anger customers its just unworkable.

At least the shops I went in yesterday were giving sanitiser out as you entered so as long as people were following the basic hygiene the risk should still have been minimal I'd have thought.  You would hope that people follow the guidelines properly but it's hard to get it 100%, especially in a clothes shop.

3 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

At least the shops I went in yesterday were giving sanitiser out as you entered so as long as people were following the basic hygiene the risk should still have been minimal I'd have thought.  You would hope that people follow the guidelines properly but it's hard to get it 100%, especially in a clothes shop.

Oh yeah they did do that whoch was good with signs on floor. But the agreement from what i saw was only touch if buying which no one is doing.

Was never gonna work

1 hour ago, snowychap said:

They don't care because they know their supporters, the Brexiter cultists, can't admit to themselves that they truested genuine charlatans, so won't turn on them. If the Brexiters did their house of cards, their entire world perspective and their faith in the path they alone set the country on, would come tumbling down. I'm surprised there's any room on the beaches in the UK with the amount of people with their heads in the sand.

Having people point out the lies just allows these idiots to play the victim. 'Oh you're attacking the government, etc. etc.'

Edited by Rolta

This is the Swedish foreign minister Ann Lindé being interviewed by German journalist on our handling of the Covid-19 pandemic. 

It's truly horrifying to watch and hear, and that's not taking into account her language skills.

It's blatant lies after blatant lies, she gets emotional, blames anyone and everyone else and takes no responsibility. It's a flood of platitudes and she can't handle being questioned at all.

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, sne said:

This is the Swedish foreign minister Ann Lindé being interviewed by German journalist on our handling of the Covid-19 pandemic. 

It's truly horrifying to watch and hear, and that's not taking into account her language skills.

It's blatant lies after blatant lies, she gets emotional, blames anyone and everyone else and takes no responsibility. It's a flood of platitudes and she can't handle being questioned at all.

Apologies, we appear to have exported something to your country

• Like 1

Â