Generic Virus Thread

villakram

41 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Interesting to see it was in Europe earlier than thought.

I still suspect it was in the UK in December, I know a handful of people that had something over Christmas that in retrospect clearly looked like Covid.

When did China first report it?

This is exactly the same "cover up" as Chernobyl.  Only it's harder to identify because we don't have air sensors **** everywhere to detect it.

Wouldn't surprise me to know the Chinese knew about this in 18, and then we'll have to change the name :lol:  

/conspiracy, but we've seen this shit before. 

Not sure how accurate this is, but it looks like another for the list of things for an independent enquiry to look into

Screen Shot 2020-06-19 at 16.38.25.png

Edited by blandy
wearing is against the guidelines
  • Like 4

Dr Waqar Rashid
Dexamethasone isn’t a coronavirus breakthrough

t’s welcome news, of course, that dexamethasone can reduce mortality in people with moderate to severe respiratory complications due to Covid-19. But to hail it as a big breakthrough – as the Health Secretary Matt Hancock did this week – is a step too far. Perhaps next week, Hancock will be shouting about the use of paracetamol as a treatment for headaches.

Dexamethasone has been around for decades – which explains why it is relatively cheap and there is lots of it – and is already used widely for those suffering from respiratory distress. In other words, it is pretty much a standard treatment for those afflicted with symptoms similar to those caused by Covid-19. Our early experience of Covid-19 patients in intensive care showed a ‘hyper-immune’ response to the infection. It’s no surprise then that dexamethasone helps some patients. To look at the government announcement, you'd think that no medic had ever before thought of using steroids to treat Covid patients. In fact, steroids are a typical drug of choice for such situations....

Watching the briefing on Tuesday felt surreal. We are told repeatedly of the importance of the current coronavirus restrictions. Yet this latest warning came alongside news that there had been only 267 Covid-19 confirmed cases that day in England. Make no mistake: this is obviously very concerning for those people involved and I wouldn’t seek to downplay this. But in the context of the NHS – and a country of 60 million people – this is frankly miniscule.

The inescapable fact is that the epidemic has basically collapsed, infections have fallen dramatically and, thankfully, so have deaths. The current cases are disproportionately led by care homes and hospital spread. Yes, a second wave is possible (although I think unlikely) and who knows: dexamethasone may yet have its day. But the health crisis we face now is not due to coronavirus and far more due to the health consequences of lockdown.....

Spectator

An unusual source for me but an interesting read nonetheless

• Like 2

It's now been two weeks since the Black Lives Matter protests started in the UK (the one in Brum was 2 weeks ago yesterday, Colston came down 2 weeks ago Sunday), and there's been no bump whatsoever has there?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

It's now been two weeks since the Black Lives Matter protests started in the UK (the one in Brum was 2 weeks ago yesterday, Colston came down 2 weeks ago Sunday), and there's been no bump whatsoever has there?

Recorded our very first ‘zero new cases’ in my county today.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Recorded our very first ‘zero new cases’ in my county today.

Good to hear! Hopefully the government responds by lifting some restrictions soon so I (and Bernard Sumner!) can go to the beach.

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Good to hear! Hopefully the government responds by lifting some restrictions soon so I (and Bernard Sumner!) can go to the beach.

Due to the nature of overlapping changes in the rules, there’s currently a real chance people living in England will be allowed to travel to Welsh beaches whereas people living in Wales might still be restricted to travelling 5 miles and not seeing family members.

I’m sure they’ll sort it out in advance, but just in case they don’t, could you or Bernard pick something up for my mum on your way to the beach? She literally lives between the car park and the beach but isn’t allowed out.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Due to the nature of overlapping changes in the rules, there’s currently a real chance people living in England will be allowed to travel to Welsh beaches whereas people living in Wales might still be restricted to travelling 5 miles and not seeing family members.

I’m sure they’ll sort it out in advance, but just in case they don’t, could you or Bernard pick something up for my mum on your way to the beach? She literally lives between the car park and the beach but isn’t allowed out.

I laugh (which is for the sarcasm, which I appreciate), but that sucks, and I'm sorry to hear it. It's pretty clear there's essentially zero transmission happening outdoors at this point, so that rule should change right away IMO.

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I laugh (which is for the sarcasm, which I appreciate), but that sucks, and I'm sorry to hear it. It's pretty clear there's essentially zero transmission happening outdoors at this point, so that rule should change right away IMO.

Yeah, can’t complain too much really. I think the ‘R’ for Wales generally is now about 0.5 and zero cases here and just 1 for Cardiff is good news and proof the policies have worked.

There are always going to be anomalies, you can’t play tennis here, but you can play golf.

I can go to B&Q and Asda but can’t be in a crowd of 250 in a 2,500 seat stadium. 

I’ve actually had to have a word with my parents, they’re on the priority list for supermarket deliveries which is great, but every week they ‘forget’ something and we have to do a mini shop for them and leave it out their back garden. But the items have clearly been bollocks, it was literally a newspaper, pasta, a punnet of strawberries and a single crunchie bar this week. So I turned up in full PPE, yellow trousers, yellow jacket, gloves, full face mask, glasses and hat and told them I’d had to come straight from work.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bickster said:

Bernard has already been...

It’s only fruit skittles but I’ve opened the pack and divvied them up in to 7 condoms.

How much does he want access to that boat? That’s what he’s got to ask himself.

• Haha 1

On 16/06/2020 at 17:32, KentVillan said:

Scientists at govt press conference suggesting that dexamethasone is a pretty significant breakthrough - think they'll be adding it to official treatment protocols this week.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53061281

Hmmm. I put one drop of this in each eye twice a day.

I wonder if they are they just randomly testing all drugs, or has this been a correlation from people taking it for other things.

2 hours ago, limpid said:

Hmmm. I put one drop of this in each eye twice a day.

I wonder if they are they just randomly testing all drugs, or has this been a correlation from people taking it for other things.

Its a steroid normally used to treat respiratory problems like Covid-19 causes. It would be absolutely normal for a doctor to prescribe dexamethasone for a patient in an ICU presenting with pneumonia like symptoms

The whole announcement was hogwash and the government scientists went along with it

It's mentioned in the Spectator Article I linked to upthread and a number of doctors I know and nurses the missus works with all pretty much said as much on our respective social medias within about half an hour of that particular press conference

6 hours ago, bickster said:

Spectator

An unusual source for me but an interesting read nonetheless

I’ve found myself reading quite a lot of good stuff in the Spectator on Covid and wondering if I’ve changed, or if they have, or if we just happen to agree on this particular issue.

As I have said for a while now in this thread, I’m convinced Boris Johnson has bottled it, and we are paralysed in a now pointlessly hypercautious stance. He’s terrified of public opinion turning if he opens up and there’s any hint of a second wave.

But the rational position is to open up, get the economy going, and prepare properly for the more likely second wave in the autumn / winter. (While obviously being ready to tighten measures immediately if things do worsen.)

I’ve now had the very unpleasant situation of having two suicide victims found within a short walk of where I live, and then last week a family friend hanged himself. It could all be coincidence of course, but I really think there is a mental health tsunami hitting this country, and the economic fallout will be a major driver of this, as debt and unemployment surge.

I’m all in favour of continued restrictions where there is a proven health benefit, but if it is purely being done because “the focus groups are still hesitant” then that is political cowardice.

4 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

for the more likely second wave in the autumn / winter.

Serious question, have you seen any mention of a "second wave" in ay previous coronavirus outbreak? I ask because I've seen it mentioned in a few (unreliable admittedly) places, that there hasn't been one. I've not had the time to look into it

Also I think it's The Spectator that has moved, it is clearly trying to distance itself from this government

29 minutes ago, bickster said:

Serious question, have you seen any mention of a "second wave" in ay previous coronavirus outbreak? I ask because I've seen it mentioned in a few (unreliable admittedly) places, that there hasn't been one. I've not had the time to look into it

Also I think it's The Spectator that has moved, it is clearly trying to distance itself from this government

I shared something earlier in the thread that showed all known endemic coronaviruses have seasonal peaks in autumn / winter.

So that's what I mean by the "second wave". Not an earthquake aftershock, but another wave in a few months time.

In fact, if you look at the Spanish Flu, the deadly second wave came quite a few months after the first wave.

This idea of an immediate second wave of cases caused by lifting lockdown too early seems to be entirely unprecedented, as far as I can make out.

Â