Generic Virus Thread

villakram

11 minutes ago, Genie said:

I’m getting pre-annoyed for tonight’s Liverpool fans behaving like idiots celebrating their title win.

AH that's what the rather bizarely timed cheering is about out the back.

Alan my next door neighbour will have baracaded himself in the house now and turned off all the lights. To say he's a bitter blue is an understatement

And some knob is setting fireworks off now

If this starts the bagpiper off I wont be responsible for my actions

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

...trying to get involved in a community programme thing to preserve access to cash for that last stubborn 10 / 20% of society that have problems with cashless society for all manner of reasons.

Me personally, spent my first actual cash since lockdown this week.

Have been getting increasingly concerned over the last few years for what an increasingly cashless society means for the homeless and for vulnerable people like asylum seekers.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Xela said:

It would seem to be a south coast issue. Probably due to the population size. Lincolnshire / Norfolk from Twitter pics looks to be fairly quiet.

Not entirely Blackpool

0_JSR_MEN_250620_Blackpoolbeach_02.jpg

Edited by PaulC

19 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Have been getting increasingly concerned over the last few years for what an increasingly cashless society means for the homeless and for vulnerable people like asylum seekers.

Pensioners, people with learning difficulties, the poor lacking access to broadband and smartphones, technophobes, people with poor credit...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

Pensioners, people with learning difficulties, the poor lacking access to broadband and smartphones, technophobes, people with poor credit...

Not to mention the privacy implications as well.

• Like 2

Since the dark days of loo roll idiocy there's been a complete change in my shopping habits, but still only pay with cash.

Been buying  food from the shop the Asian old dears use. The difference in the potency of produce is really noticeable.

Use ginger in the same quantity as the supermarket stuff and it near takes your face off.

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

Not to mention the privacy implications as well.

Needs to be something a little more than a credit union or the post office. Some form of basic banking network that keeps one cash shop open on every High Street of every small town so we don’t get towns where all the banks leave because there isn’t enough profit for the shareholders.

If we’re going to run a society based on money, we should be obliged to make that money accessible.

• Like 2

If there isnt a second spike after seeing all those idiots in liverpool and the other idiots at the beaches just says to me they are either covering it up or exaggerated the virus

It simply has to go up after recent actions of many groups of people

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

If there isnt a second spike after seeing all those idiots in liverpool and the other idiots at the beaches just says to me they are either covering it up or exaggerated the virus

It simply has to go up after recent actions of many groups of people

Or it's just not very likely to be transmitted outdoors. This isn't the first time that people in this thread have prophesied a big second wave of infections due to beach attendance, and it didn't happen last time. However, lots of people have still died, but they are being infected in particular environments like 'at home' and 'in old people's homes'.

• Like 1

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

Or it's just not very likely to be transmitted outdoors. This isn't the first time that people in this thread have prophesied a big second wave of infections due to beach attendance, and it didn't happen last time. However, lots of people have still died, but they are being infected in particular environments like 'at home' and 'in old people's homes'.

Well if it's not very likely to transmit outdoors then we may as well all go to the beach and local beauty spots right?

I think the second wave is a bunch of bullshit intended to keep us in a perpetual state of fear and obedience. A bit like when the bible said god or jesus or whichever one it was would return.........

Just now, bannedfromHandV said:

Well if it's not very likely to transmit outdoors then we may as well all go to the beach and local beauty spots right?

My opinion is that people should spend as much time outdoors as possible, especially given that the weather is nice. Forccing people to spend more time at home is forcing people to spend more time in the place they are most likely to catch the virus. If the government don't want so many people at the beach, then a] don't have Boris go on TV and tell the nation it's their patriotic duty to get out and about, and b] open/put on more stuff outdoors elsewhere.

10 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Well i think thats nonsense to be honest. So if someone coughs near me within 2 metres because its outside im unlikley to be effected? If it doesnt apply to being outside why did we bother having a lock down? Why we bothering not having fans at sporting events? Why cant we meet in big groups in the park?

12 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

You shouldn't give cash to homeless people, you're not helping them. If you want to help then volunteer at a homeless organisation or buy them something to eat. If you give them cash guess what they spend it on. A cashless society is inevitable and the faster it happens the better. It should be actively encouraged by governments.  

Well i think thats nonsense to be honest. So if someone coughs near me within 2 metres because its outside im unlikley to be effected? If it doesnt apply to being outside why did we bother having a lock down? Why we bothering not having fans at sporting events? Why cant we meet in big groups in the park?

If someone who is infected (which is a small proportion of the population at this point) coughs or sneezes directly at you from very close range, then yes this does raise your chances of catching something from them (this would be true for anything). This is not a daily occurence.

As for the other questions, we had a lockdown because uncontrolled community spread threatened hospital critical care capacity. There is now much less community spread. Lockdown, and its associated measures, were a 'blunt tool' that the government took firstly because less was known at that stage about how the virus spread (a lot more is known now), and secondly because it was the only way to guarantee a reduction in community spread when we did not have an operational test, trace and isolate process. 

As for what you think is 'nonsense', I doubt I'm going to persuade you. But I would encourage you to look at this database of superspreading events: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16wtnHe4hM6I7TFHXVpLXY8R4GAUzAJ-7NWbKIVvsVuA/edit#gid=1131322210

In particular, you might notice that the column 'indoor/outdoor' reveals that the vast, vast majority of events have occurred indoors.

On the same spreadsheet, you will see a tab marked 'summary table of latest updated results', which organises these events by type and by number of infections caused. The top 5 are:

1) Ship - 3,597

2) 'Large shared accommodation' (worker dormitories) - 2,132

3) Food Processing Plant - 1,843

4) Prison - 989

5) Elderly care - 773

The top outdoor setting is:

16) Building site - 95

Edited by HanoiVillan

How packed to the pubs get around the ground before and after sporting events? How many pile onto coaches and trains yelling and singing? Sports matches do spread the virus but probably not some much during the 90mins of the match as the couple of hours before and after the game. 

46 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

If someone who is infected (which is a small proportion of the population at this point) coughs or sneezes directly at you from very close range, then yes this does raise your chances of catching something from them (this would be true for anything). This is not a daily occurence.

As for the other questions, we had a lockdown because uncontrolled community spread threatened hospital critical care capacity. There is now much less community spread. Lockdown, and its associated measures, were a 'blunt tool' that the government took firstly because less was known at that stage about how the virus spread (a lot more is known now), and secondly because it was the only way to guarantee a reduction in community spread when we did not have an operational test, trace and isolate process. 

As for what you think is 'nonsense', I doubt I'm going to persuade you. But I would encourage you to look at this database of superspreading events: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16wtnHe4hM6I7TFHXVpLXY8R4GAUzAJ-7NWbKIVvsVuA/edit#gid=1131322210

In particular, you might notice that the column 'indoor/outdoor' reveals that the vast, vast majority of events have occurred indoors.

On the same spreadsheet, you will see a tab marked 'summary table of latest updated results', which organises these events by type and by number of infections caused. The top 5 are:

1) Ship - 3,597

2) 'Large shared accommodation' (worker dormitories) - 2,132

3) Food Processing Plant - 1,843

4) Prison - 989

5) Elderly care - 773

The top outdoor setting is:

16) Building site - 95

Then why are we still in a semi lock down and being encouraged to stay in doors? I appreciate its a new virus so you need time to establish what it is, effects etc.

Funny thing is ships are mainly outdoors! And tahst number 1. What a interestingcread thanks for sharing that

21 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

How packed to the pubs get around the ground before and after sporting events? How many pile onto coaches and trains yelling and singing? Sports matches do spread the virus but probably not some much during the 90mins of the match as the couple of hours before and after the game. 

I see no difference between having fans in a stadium regardless what they do before the game (you could close pubs) and having large protests with x3 the amount of people

7 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Funny thing is ships are mainly outdoors! 

No they aren't. Ships are MASSIVE and there's way more below what you can see on the top.

• Haha 3

Â