Generic Virus Thread

villakram

19 minutes ago, snowychap said:

To try things on for size and fit?

See what they actually look like and not what an image on the internet suggests they look like.

My daughter sends stuff back regularly because it didn't look like that in the photo

• Like 1

Scientists at govt press conference suggesting that dexamethasone is a pretty significant breakthrough - think they'll be adding it to official treatment protocols this week.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53061281

A cheap and widely available drug can help save the lives of patients seriously ill with coronavirus.

The low-dose steroid treatment dexamethasone is a major breakthrough in the fight against the deadly virus, UK experts say.

The drug is part of the world's biggest trial testing existing treatments to see if they also work for coronavirus.

It cut the risk of death by a third for patients on ventilators. For those on oxygen, it cut deaths by a fifth.

Had the drug had been used to treat patients in the UK from the start of the pandemic, up to 5,000 lives could have been saved, researchers say.

And it could be of huge benefit in poorer countries with high numbers of Covid-19 patients.

The UK government has 200,000 courses of the drug in its stockpile and says the NHS will make dexamethasone available to patients.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, snowychap said:

To try things on for size and fit?

Things are so easy to return these days you don’t often need to do that.

Any time I buy clothes now I just buy more options than I need and a couple of sizes of each and send back what doesn’t fit and I don’t like. You don’t have the money in your account for a couple of weeks until you get refunded but apart from that it’s easy. 

Appreciate that wouldn’t work for people who can’t afford to be without the money, but I think the future will be you only pay for what they don’t receive back. ASOS are implementing a form of that already

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'd rather go to a shop once, than go to the post office 64 times, then wait for the money to go back in my account, check that it has, then have to go through the rigmarole of trawling the net for something else... rinse and repeat

To exclusively shop online for clothes you must have a reasonably large amount of fluid cash

Sometimes the old ways are the best, certainly for the poorer elements of society

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Any time I buy clothes now I just buy more options than I need and a couple of sizes of each and send back what doesn’t fit and I don’t like. You don’t have the money in your account for a couple of weeks until you get refunded but apart from that it’s easy. 

Appreciate that wouldn’t work for people who can’t afford to be without the money, but I think the future will be you only pay for what they don’t receive back. ASOS are implementing a form of that already

That's one very important aspect of why it wouldn't work for me or a vast amount of other people as there are a lot who can't afford to be simply waiting for a refund to drop back in to their account (add in fees and so on, too).

I had to buy some more clothes over the lockdown period out of necessity (old clothes didn't fit) but if they hadn't been clothes on offer/sale, i.e. a small amount that I could just about afford to be without for a period of time, I wouldn't have done it.

I agree that returning was easier and less worrisome than I expected (though I was a little concerned when I saw that a lot of Debenhams customers seemed to be getting shafted) but it is still less convenient than not having to pay out your own money, organise some chap to come and collect it (or take it to whichever collection point), track it to see if it has been delivered to the sender and then wait for a response from the company and a few days afterwards (or much longer in the cases of some retailers) to be refunded.

Edit: If it's something I think has a high likelihood of being fine, e.g. it's a similar make and size as something I've already got then it's easier to go with.

Edited by snowychap

41 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

This is exactly what i do. Its so convenient. 

Standing outside for 15-20 minutes to go in then you cant touch or try anything on just seems absolutely pointless going to a clothes shop while this the way to shop for now.  When you consider you can order try at home and send back.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

This is exactly what i do. Its so convenient. 

Standing outside for 15-20 minutes to go in then you cant touch or try anything on just seems absolutely pointless going to a clothes shop while this the way to shop for now.  When you consider you can order try at home and send back.

I'm not sure those in favour of actually going to a physical shop were particularly talking about in restricted pandemic times

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, bickster said:

I'm not sure those in favour of actually going to a physical shop were particularly talking about in restricted pandemic times

I see.

I do think your going to see a massive decline in the high street when it comes to clothes you will see a Sharp decline. 

The sector is going to be hit hard. Not many people are gonna wanna shop for clothes under the pandemic restrictions 

Edited by Demitri_C

Even for you, Dem, that's a lot of typos. :D

Agree with your point though. Without being able to try stuff on, in person clothes shopping is even more pointless than it used to be.

If this lasts for more than another 2-3 months, I think they may start overstocking to quarantine clothes that have been tried on. 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Quick, I edited out the uncensored swear, don't set Limpid after me :( 

Ha i got your back 😁

8 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Even for you, Dem, that's a lot of typos. :D

Agree with your point though. Without being able to try stuff on, in person clothes shopping is even more pointless than it used to be.

If this lasts for more than another 2-3 months, I think they may start overstocking to quarantine clothes that have been tried on. 

Yea it is really pointless.  Imagine winter no one isgonna be standing outside in freezing cold at 4pm pitch black.

I think your gonna see incredibly cheap clothes at some point as they wilm have so much stock left over. 

2 hours ago, bickster said:

I'd rather go to a shop once, than go to the post office 64 times, then wait for the money to go back in my account, check that it has, then have to go through the rigmarole of trawling the net for something else... rinse and repeat

To exclusively shop online for clothes you must have a reasonably large amount of fluid cash

Sometimes the old ways are the best, certainly for the poorer elements of society

Couple of places I use, send you the goods and you have 30 days to pay the bill. If you're not happy with anything you send it back in pre paid packaging and your bill is adjusted. 

I used to think the same way as your post but I can't remember the last time I purchased clothes from a shop. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bickster said:

I thought you didn't have a bank account?

You have to go to the post office once. To take back what you don't want. 
Obviously you might not like anything, but that might happen when you go to a shop too.

Yeah you do need to have some fluid cash, but like I said a lot of places have started exploring pay later options. ASOS have started it. NEXT do a 30 day account option where you have 30 days to pay the bill and if they receive any returns they deduct it from what you owe.
And I used another service (it was called Enclothed at the time but I think they've changed their name or merged with someone else) that used to send you a load of clothes, you sent back what you didn't like and they'd only charge you for what they didn't receive back. No money would leave your account until then.

I reckon that is gonna get more popular

Edited by Stevo985

4 hours ago, snowychap said:

That's one very important aspect of why it wouldn't work for me or a vast amount of other people as there are a lot who can't afford to be simply waiting for a refund to drop back in to their account (add in fees and so on, too).

I had to buy some more clothes over the lockdown period out of necessity (old clothes didn't fit) but if they hadn't been clothes on offer/sale, i.e. a small amount that I could just about afford to be without for a period of time, I wouldn't have done it.

I agree that returning was easier and less worrisome than I expected (though I was a little concerned when I saw that a lot of Debenhams customers seemed to be getting shafted) but it is still less convenient than not having to pay out your own money, organise some chap to come and collect it (or take it to whichever collection point), track it to see if it has been delivered to the sender and then wait for a response from the company and a few days afterwards (or much longer in the cases of some retailers) to be refunded.

Edit: If it's something I think has a high likelihood of being fine, e.g. it's a similar make and size as something I've already got then it's easier to go with.

I think apart from waiting for the money to come back into your account it's incredibly convenient. 

Asos, for example, all the packaging they send you is reusable. You just put whatever you don't want back into the package, seal it, take it to the post office show them the barcode you get from ASOS and they print a label for you, give you a receipt as proof of purchase and then ASOS email you when they receive it. All free.
I returned some stuff on Friday and had an email on Monday saying they'd received it. 
And it's quick. ASOS do next day delivery up to 10pm the night before. I think they do same day delivery on some stuff. It's £10 a year for free next day delivery. I can go on the laptop at 9:30pm on a Monday night, buy a load of stuff, and have received it, tried it on and taken the returns to the post office by the time it closes the following day.

The money stuff makes it less convenient, but again I think the option to not pay anything until after you've decided what you want is going to become the norm for clothes shopping online. Once someone like ASOS implements it then others will have to follow suit.

It's not for everyone, but it's extremely rare that I actually venture out to clothes shops these days. When I do it's usually for something to do or if I have no idea what I want so I just want to have a look round (which is dangerous)

(PS I don't work for ASOS :D )

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I think the option to not pay anything until after you've decided what you want is going to become the norm for clothes shopping online

That would make a huge difference to a lot of people, though one might imagine that it would increase prices as they'd have to factor for a certain level of non-payment if they're letting everyone have stuff on appro.

I guess it would be like the old catalogue/mail order deal but I wonder how it would affect their business model which appears to rely upon sales and heavy discounting a lot of the time as well as the speed with which they get stuff to your door.

As I said, I've done a bit of clothes shopping that way over the past few months and was surprised with it, including the returns. I think, though, that may have also been swayed by reduced/free delivery for some places that wouldn't normally do that, too.

For some occasions, however, for those of us who may be a bit of a funny shape, a bit picky or have recently changed size, it's a lot simpler to go in to a store and grab half a dozen similar things of slightly different sizes to identify the one that's okay rather than ordering those six items knowing that you only want one.

9 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

(PS I don't work for ASOS :D )

:D

I certainly found them the easiest of the few places I dealt with.

55 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Well, this seems like a fun topic I've not managed to catch before. Why?! :D 

Honest reason, right now, can't be arsed. It was to do with a bad credit rating previously but thats gone now.

Â