Generic Virus Thread

villakram

Some of the best queues of the pestilence have been outside post offices.

Found it quite amusing, until she handed me some clothes to send back to John Lewis.

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Well, this seems like a fun topic I've not managed to catch before. Why?! :D 

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Honest reason, right now, can't be arsed. It was to do with a bad credit rating previously but thats gone now.

I thought it was because you didn’t trust banks or something?

2 hours ago, snowychap said:

That would make a huge difference to a lot of people, though one might imagine that it would increase prices as they'd have to factor for a certain level of non-payment if they're letting everyone have stuff on appro.

I guess it would be like the old catalogue/mail order deal but I wonder how it would affect their business model which appears to rely upon sales and heavy discounting a lot of the time as well as the speed with which they get stuff to your door.

As I said, I've done a bit of clothes shopping that way over the past few months and was surprised with it, including the returns. I think, though, that may have also been swayed by reduced/free delivery for some places that wouldn't normally do that, too.

For some occasions, however, for those of us who may be a bit of a funny shape, a bit picky or have recently changed size, it's a lot simpler to go in to a store and grab half a dozen similar things of slightly different sizes to identify the one that's okay rather than ordering those six items knowing that you only want one.

:D

I certainly found them the easiest of the few places I dealt with.

Asos is really good service although using doodle to return things is a atrocious service 

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Honest reason, right now, can't be arsed. It was to do with a bad credit rating previously but thats gone now.

Your mental if your keeping your savings at home!

In the next few months i predict home robberies are going to increase significantly once the furlough scheme ends.

24 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

In the next few months i predict home robberies are going to increase significantly once the furlough scheme ends.

yeah, far better to put your savings with Aviva like I did.

Anyone know when Aviva are unfreezing the accounts and letting people withdraw their money? Three months now with no access and for the last week their phone line hasn’t been working.

Whilst people are working from home, the biscuit tin turns out to have been a far better idea.

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

yeah, far better to put your savings with Aviva like I did.

Anyone know when Aviva are unfreezing the accounts and letting people withdraw their money? Three months now with no access and for the last week their phone line hasn’t been working.

Whilst people are working from home, the biscuit tin turns out to have been a far better idea.

Why would they freeze your money? How legally are they allowed to do that?

10 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Why would they freeze your money? How legally are they allowed to do that?

ISA based on stocks n shares, market went from 7200 to 4900 so they froze it, which is understandable.

Market is back up to around 6300 and I can’t get any communication with them. It’s hardly some flighty little company, it’s Aviva and it turns out after 3 months they still can’t even answer a phone. It’s not a lot of money, but potentially I’m having my savings frozen and then having to apply for payment holidays on my bills.

Their phone system has stopped working, it just loops around a whole load of press 1 for info options. I emailed them Monday lunchtime, it’s now Wednesday and all I’ve had was an auto response saying they’d received it.

It’s not exactly a six figure sum, it was basically just a little rainy day savings pot. There’s some bloody irony there! I’d never ever use them again.

Another 102 people dead yesterday in Sweden, takes us over 5000 now. But apparently we've done everything right according to our government. 

Gällivare, a town in norther Sweden has gone into a partial lockdown as they have an uncontrollable spread of the virus. They have 8 ICU beds in an area of about 30.000 people spread over a massive area. With only 1 ambulance helicopter.

At the same time people are treating it like the threat is over, summer is here and schools out an people are on vacation. Weather is great, football is back, and the number of new infected is rising again.

But the economy has to restart so the tourism industry has gotten the all clear. Just use your judgement... Yeah people are great at that.

Gotland that is the biggest island in Sweden and one of the biggest summer hotspots with around 900.000 yearly summer visitors also has 8 ICU beds. It also only have 1 or 2 helicopters who also cover a large part of the Baltic sea

15 GIFs For When Your Life is a Mess but You're Pretending It's ...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, sne said:

Gotland that is the biggest island in Sweden and one of the biggest summer hotspots with around 900.000 yearly summer visitors also has 8 ICU beds

And that's the only place the Norwegian government advice their citizens to go if they travel to Sweden. Only reachable by boat, and cross the entire Sweden to get there. Brilliant!

• Like 1

Just now, Tegis said:

And that's the only place the Norwegian government advice their citizens to go if they travel to Sweden. Only reachable by boat, and cross the entire Sweden to get there. Brilliant!

Yeah that one is a special kind of stupid. 

Without checking I'm guessing Oslo for instance has a larger % of infected than Gotland? 

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Asos is really good service although using doodle to return things is a atrocious service 

Never heard of Doodle. 

I used to use Collect+ for ASOS. The label was included in the package you receive, stick it on the return package and drop it to a collection point. Done. 

They’ve changed it recently and Royal Mail is easier to use now. They print the label in the post office for you when you drop it off

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Savings?

22 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Never heard of Doodle. 

I used to use Collect+ for ASOS. The label was included in the package you receive, stick it on the return package and drop it to a collection point. Done. 

They’ve changed it recently and Royal Mail is easier to use now. They print the label in the post office for you when you drop it off

Yep that is a better way if you dont have to line up 30 minutes outside like my local post offices!

Pre lockdown rm wad way better than lame doodle.

18 minutes ago, bickster said:

Savings?

Yeah its a little scheme thats been around for a while if you have any money left over at the end of the month you can out away for something  😉

Hopefully you will get a chance to upgrade your black and white tv soon 😝

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

The government have decided that people don't like apps, they prefer phonecalls from strangers (presumably during the work day).

I have hung up on two such calls without even checking the number just today.

I'm not one to normally agree with a Tory but he's correct, there is a significant proportion of the population that do not like Apps and do prefer to speak toa human being in a call centre

I know this from work. We have two online methods of booking for the general population, we have our older App which people have to go to their app store of choice (or operating system) and download it to their phone. We also have an online web booker, which is much newer and can be accessed easily direct from our webpage. In addition to that we have voice recognition software on the phone in front of our call centre staff.

35% of our business currently is still booked through the call centre and only 50% via either of the online methods. So 50% use the phone and only 30% of that share use the Voice Rex, so the vast majority of those booking via the phone just say operator to speak to someone rather than even attempt to navigate the voice rex which they simply have to state their address.

At the start of Lockdown, we furloughed all the call centre staff, our business dropped off a cliff in those first few weeks and our competitiors businesses benefited hugely

I have no figures for the demographics of this but I get the impressoion that this significant proportion of the population can be categorised as either older, of non-British Origin (language issues) or  less educated (and I say that after answering the phone for 4 weeks and speaking to a good number of customers using the call centre, so whilst empirical is a reasonable impression). So that proportion of the population are also the most at risk sectors of the population, older, poorer and BAME

TL:DR - He has a point!

Â