Generic Virus Thread

villakram

6 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

Sweden has a high death rate there  considering its size. Wonder if that's got anything to do with going for the herd immunity approach? 

It's mostly about allowing it to get into our senior homes and staff working without protective gear. It's a mess.

We are right up there when it comes to dead/1mil citizens but not as high up when it comes to cases/1mil citizens.

It's about to get really bad now thou with the weather coming in just as people are exhausted about the "rules" recommendations and are starting to not care.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/may/30/boris-johnsons-test-and-tracing-system-britain-lockdown?CMP=share_btn_fb&fbclid=IwAR3BaeMMFTUR0f77NwUQzROjUWTeRAd8kErN1LnmLDJA_a6c8C7oyA7_N_Q

Why I quit working on Boris Johnson's ‘world-beating' test-and-tracing system

The training was wrapped up early, and we were asked if we felt prepared. There was a chorus of no from many people. Some said yes, but I didn’t see how anyone could be prepared for something they’d only found out about a couple of hours ago, plus we hadn’t even accessed the specific programmes. I checked my schedule and saw that I was due to start the next day at 9am. Panic set in. 

7 minutes ago, avfcDJ said:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/may/30/boris-johnsons-test-and-tracing-system-britain-lockdown?CMP=share_btn_fb&fbclid=IwAR3BaeMMFTUR0f77NwUQzROjUWTeRAd8kErN1LnmLDJA_a6c8C7oyA7_N_Q

Why I quit working on Boris Johnson's ‘world-beating' test-and-tracing system

The training was wrapped up early, and we were asked if we felt prepared. There was a chorus of no from many people. Some said yes, but I didn’t see how anyone could be prepared for something they’d only found out about a couple of hours ago, plus we hadn’t even accessed the specific programmes. I checked my schedule and saw that I was due to start the next day at 9am. Panic set in. 

I know a friend who's doing this, he tried to get me to do it. It's not to hard to understand if you have done customer service, it's standard there's your training crack on, a nothing story. 8 hours a day £10 an hour not too bad and my friend is still on Furlough so good for him.

Another one expresses concerns:

Another member of the UK government's scientific advisory group Sage has expressed doubts about England easing lockdown from Monday.

Calum Semple, professor of Outbreak Medicine at the University of Liverpool, has told BBC's Radio 5 Live it's not the right time to relax the rules.

"Essentially we’re lifting the lid on a boiling pan and it’s just going to bubble over. We need to get it down to simmer before we take the lift off, and it’s too early," he said.

He said levels of transmission and hospital admissions are still too high.

"I think a political decision has been made to tie in with when school was due to start, were everything normal, but it’s not normal," he said.

"We’re still seeing high levels of transmission, high levels of admission, and nationally 2,000 cases being tested positive a day."

England launched a contact tracing system this week, but Prof Semple thinks more time is needed before it’s properly established.

"Two or three weeks of keeping the restrictions in place, while we wait to establish a test and trace system, would have made all the difference," he said.

And he is also concerned that all regions of England are being treated the same as the lockdown measures are relaxed - despite the coronavirus situation looking different across the country.

"The North East, the Midlands and the North West are still two or three weeks behind the south, London specifically, in terms of where we are in the outbreak," he said.

Click

20 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

The 7 dwarves have been told that they can meet in a group of 6 from monday

1 of them isn't happy 

Is it Grumpy?

1 hour ago, sne said:

It's mostly about allowing it to get into our senior homes and staff working without protective gear. It's a mess.

We are right up there when it comes to dead/1mil citizens but not as high up when it comes to cases/1mil citizens.

It's about to get really bad now thou with the weather coming in just as people are exhausted about the "rules" recommendations and are starting to not care.

That's such a shame. I've always liked the Swedish people as they always seem a fun nation. Must be all those Swedish blonde ladies 😉

36 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

The 7 dwarves have been told that they can meet in a group of 6 from monday

1 of them isn't happy 

It's Doc. He's working a 24 hour shift at his local infirmary. 

• Like 1

You know what, if I ever had the displeasure of meeting Boris Johnson in person and he said "nice to meet you sir" it would throw so much doubt into my mind that I'd have to go and get a dna test done to make sure I am indeed male. 

Does he ever get anything right? 

19 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

The irony being that in January the Washington Times published articles claiming that COVID-19 was a Chinese biological weapon, quoting a former Israeli intelligence officer as it's source.

It's a racist, climate change denying, conspiracy theory pushing, drivel-rag. To quote it as a source @villakram in any other way than satire is, well, a joke.

The data is the data.

Post modernism is a pox on humanity.

8 minutes ago, villakram said:

The data is the data.

That chart is not “the data”. Covi has been around in the USA for a third of a year, not a year. Multiply the figures by 3 or include all the deaths yet to happen from it over the 12 months (and there will be an awful lot more) Looking back and then you have “the data” for the headline  But if you do that the headline won’t fit, I’d wager.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, blandy said:

That chart is not “the data”. Covi has been around in the USA for a third of a year, not a year. Multiply the figures by 3 or include all the deaths yet to happen from it over the 12 months (and there will be an awful lot more) Looking back and then you have “the data” for the headline  But if you do that the headline won’t fit, I’d wager.

Not true. The death trends are well established by now and have US death toll at peaking at ~0.04% of the population. It is currently at ~0.03% and increasing slowly. Multiplying by 3 is the same sort of simplistic logic that had "us" thinking there'd be millions of deaths at one point.

The first US covid-19 death is now set at Feb 6th, so that's 100k in approx. 5 months. The first infections have been traced to sometime mid-ish Jan from China. This may well change when all of data is analyzed over the next few years.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/04/22/death-coronavirus-first-california/

"“The fact that there were deaths related to covid back in early February is very significant, because it means the virus was around for a lot longer than was initially realized,” Jeff Smith, a physician and the county executive in Santa Clara, told The Washington Post. “It’s been around for a while, and it’s probably been spreading in the community for quite some time.”"

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6922e1.htm?s_cid=mm6922e1_w

"From January 21 through February 23, 2020, public health agencies detected 14 U.S. cases of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19), all related to travel from China (1,2)."

I've just heard from my sister that her "desk buddy", i.e. the guy who used to sit next to her at work, has succumbed to it. He had underlying health issues but it is still a shock for her.  I've said to raise a glass to him tonight.

Terrible. 

• Sad 3

41 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Looks like it was a nice day to take a trip to Durdle Door.

EZSIl-pXsAI4064?format=jpg&name=medium

Fair play to them. I did that walk last year with a lazy shit of a three year old on my shoulders. It bloody killed me. 

Â