Generic Virus Thread

villakram

A cluster of new outbreaks in the South Korean capital Seoul has worried officials because the cases are popping up in densely-populated areas of the city.

The authorities say this coming weekend is a critical moment to prevent further infection. They have called for a stricter social distancing campaign over the next two weeks.

Public parks and museums will be closed both in Seoul and in surrounding cities. Businesses are being urged to encourage more flexible working, and people are once again being asked to avoid mass gatherings.

It comes after hundreds of school were forced to close as a result of the new outbreaks, just days after they reopened to millions of children.

The emotional plea from officials is: "Comply, for the sake of our children’s education."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-52844350

Lockdown restrictions are being lifted in England before experts are ready to cut the threat level from coronavirus from “high”, No 10 has admitted.

Boris Johnson had been expected to lower the alert level from 4 to 3 when he gave the go-ahead for groups of 6 to mix in gardens and parks, but failed to mention it.

Now his spokesman has conceded the level remains at 4 – where transmission of the virus is said to be “high” – while arguing it is “coming down from 4 to 3”.
On Wednesday, before the lockdown-easing announcement, the prime minister told MPs: “We're coming down from level 4 to level 3 we hope, we're taking a decision tomorrow.”

https://t.co/OWuubI1CF1?amp=1

Hmm I wonder why this is all happening.

I wonder what the real figure of people who have died from Covid-19 in Brazil really is. over 26,000 new cases in a day that's probably 5 times the amount we were getting at our peak. I know we have problems here but I feel for poor people over there.  

• Like 2

Just to put a question out there.  Had a meeting today (virtual of course). Even though I've made most staff happy today, a question came up whether furloughed workers should be paying national Insurance, as goverment said it can be claimed back by employer. All staff on furlough are paying it and claiming they shouldn't. Now I have 15 members of staff all asking the same question?

Didnt wanna ask my director as not to upset him.

3 minutes ago, PaulC said:

35-64 0.01% whats the worry then. Surely those figures are bs

Remember this is all cause, for all people. This simply states that the risk for Coivd-19 now, has gotten to the level where things like crossing the road, car accidents, falling pianos etc., summed up dominate over it. People are very poor at appropriately evaluating risk for low probability events.

The UK has to date had approximately 0.04% of all people die from Covid-19. The death rate has approached this value asymptotically and the current rate of change is very small. 

This is comparing deaths (pretty easy to count, even with BoJo idiocy) and the total population (also easy to count).

Just now, villakram said:

Remember this is all cause, for all people. This simply states that the risk for Coivd-19 now, has gotten to the level where things like crossing the road, car accidents, falling pianos etc., summed up dominate over it. People are very poor at appropriately evaluating risk for low probability events.

The UK has to date had approximately 0.04% of all people die from Covid-19. The death rate has approached this value asymptotically and the current rate of change is very small. 

This is comparing deaths (pretty easy to count, even with BoJo idiocy) and the total population (also easy to count).

Sure, but there's also no risk of deaths from car accidents or falling pianos increasing exponentially.

10 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Just to put a question out there.  Had a meeting today (virtual of course). Even though I've made most staff happy today, a question came up whether furloughed workers should be paying national Insurance, as goverment said it can be claimed back by employer. All staff on furlough are paying it and claiming they shouldn't. Now I have 15 members of staff all asking the same question?

Didnt wanna ask my director as not to upset him.

Are people mixing up employers' NICs (which are claimed as part of the scheme on top of the 80%) and employees' NICs?

36 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Are people mixing up employers' NICs (which are claimed as part of the scheme on top of the 80%) and employees' NICs?

It's just showing NIC's deduction on the wage slip and they wondered if this correct?

link

A gang of monkeys attacked a laboratory assistant and escaped with a batch of coronavirus blood test samples, it has been reported.

The bizarre incident saw the troop of primates launch their assault near Meerut Medical College in Delhi, India.

According to local media, the animals then snatched COVID-19 blood test samples that had been taken from three patients and fled.

...more

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

It's just showing NIC's deduction on the wage slip and they wondered if this correct?

I imagine so - that would be the employee NIC deduction.

Looking at the page on the scheme on the Gov website, it says businesses can/should claim for employers' NIC and pension contributions as well as the 80%.

34 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

@Stevo985 @Demitri_C were you two discussing why the goverment would want to inflate numbers? I’ve just had a very lengthy whatsapp message that states it’s to continue to enforce the apparently illegal Coronavirus act 2020 and the 

Some people have way too much time on their hands.

Don’t start this again 😂

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, snowychap said:

I imagine so - that would be the employee NIC deduction.

Looking at the page on the scheme on the Gov website, it says businesses can/should claim for employers' NIC and pension contributions as well as the 80%.

If they can claim for it, surely they shouldn't be deducting it too?

1 hour ago, villakram said:

Time to start getting on with life again.

Source: https://www.washingtontimes.com/multimedia/image/stop-worrying-rahn-chartjpg/

spacer.png

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

35-64 0.01% whats the worry then. Surely those figures are bs

It’s absolute bs. 

They’ve taken the population of the USA and found the percentage of people dead from Covid and masqueraded it as a fatality rate. I know it says “probability” which is technically correct, but it’s deliberately misleading. 

100,000 dead out of a population of 350m is 0.02%

Obviously the massive thing it fails to say is only a fraction of the population have had the disease, and the country has been on lockdown to get to that figure. 

It’s like there being a million meteors heading to the USA and saying “well only 3 people have died from meteors falling before so there’s only a 0.00000000001% chance of you being killed by a meteor. Nothing to worry about”

I’m actually angry at how misleading it is and annoyed that anyone would seriously use it as evidence. 

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

If they can claim for it, surely they shouldn't be deducting it too?

It says that they can claim for the employers' NIC which is different to employees' NIC - it is what employers pay on top of the wages/salary from which employees' NIC is deducted.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, villakram said:

You’re also making the mistake that everyone seems to overlook when making this argument that the world has been on lockdown to get to this point. That percentage would be far far higher if everything had just carried on as normal. 

If car accidents and falling pianos were highly infectious and increased exponentially when life carried on as normal there would be a point here. 

As it is it’s just a laughably bad use of statistics

Â