Generic Virus Thread

villakram

38 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I’m not a conspiracy theorist but has anyone ever seen V for Vendetta? Where the pathogen is released by the government and they’re all big shareholders in the pharmaceutical company which makes the vaccine! 🧐 Now if you’ll excuse me I’m selling tin hats on eBay and need to make more. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Kingman said:

Just seen that, Is that a fully updated UK total of 150 new cases + 11 deaths for today or partial?

Usually Wales or Scotland announce theirs first and this seems to be what has happened here. I'd expect deaths across the UK to have been 100+ 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Grauniad:

Good news but there has to be some caution, again, I think.

Firstly, they have to be tested to make sure they work;

secondly, there will be a limited supply at first;

thirdly, I can see a huge 'run' on chemist shops which may well produce unintended consequences;

fourthly, how far back do they go (I think the point has been mentioned before about antibody tests seeing whether you;ve had it in the last x number of days);

fifthly, the interpretation - it mentions in the article that some will only be able to be done by health workers, so does that mean there will be more than one variety of test?;

lastly, there is, always and ever present, this 'It is widely thought that having Covid-19 makes people immune to the disease or that if they get it a second time, they do not transmit it' which does have me hoping that 'widely thought' translates into 'actually the case'.

This appears to be yet another comms blunder to me. The message from Public Health England was much too optimistic, essentially eliding every single one of your (correct) points, that was then glossed by the Guardian liveblog (among others) as 'this is a game changer, everything will basically be back to normal soon' and then I've got people in the office WhatsApp chat expecting to be back at work in ten days or so. Then Chris Whitty is having to pour cold water over the idea in his press conference, all of which happened in about an hour or so. 

It goes to show how important it is for government bodies to communicate cautiously, something which Public Health England - who were advising people that they could go to the pub or book a holiday if they didn't have symptoms less than 2 weeks ago - have been particularly bad at.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

What's going on in Germany, hardly any deaths percentage wise??

Not sure how much truth there is in it but it was suggested previously that when people died with existing conditions the underlying illness was the official cause of death.

17 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

This appears to be yet another comms blunder to me. The message from Public Health England was much too optimistic, essentially eliding every single one of your (correct) points, that was then glossed by the Guardian liveblog (among others) as 'this is a game changer, everything will basically be back to normal soon' and then I've got people in the office WhatsApp chat expecting to be back at work in ten days or so. Then Chris Whitty is having to pour cold water over the idea in his press conference, all of which happened in about an hour or so. 

It goes to show how important it is for government bodies to communicate cautiously, something which Public Health England - who were advising people that they could go to the pub or book a holiday if they didn't have symptoms less than 2 weeks ago - have been particularly bad at.

Cheers.

Yes, I got back in about twenty minutes ago, have just watched some of the press conference and saw Chris Whitty's comments.

Edited by snowychap

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

I see Amazon have opened up a charity that takes public donations to help compensate their contract employees. If there's one thing that comes from this, I hope it's eating the **** rich. Take your trickle down economics, and your "unskilled jobs" benevolently created by our job-creating betters and shove them up your collective arseholes.

The ultra rich exploit us all, and they've particularly shown their true colours in the last couple of weeks. The costs of the financial hit the world is taking should be coming from an extremely aggressive wealth tax.

While the rich hide, laying of thousands and thousands of workers, minimum wage workers find themselves "essential" having to go out and risk their lives. **** this system. The injustice has never been clearer.

This is one of the most disgusting stories I've heard. Owned by the richest man in the world and he wants 'our' money, makes me sick.

Hope these stories are all being noted. If I had a multi million pound company like the wetherspoons guy, I would certainly be looking after my staff even if it ment going into my own personal wealth. 

• Like 1

:(

Italian nurse with coronavirus kills herself over fear of infecting others

A 34-year-old Italian nurse working on the front lines of the coronavirus pandemic took her own life after testing positive for the illness and was terrified that she had infected others, according to a report.

Daniela Trezzi had been suffering “heavy stress” amid fears she was spreading the deadly bug while treating patients at the San Gerardo Hospital in Monza in the hard-hit region of Lombardy,

She was working in the intensive care unit while under quarantine after being diagnosed with COVID-19, according to the UK news site.

The federation said that a similar situation happened some days ago in Venice, adding: ‘We are at risk of suffering stressful conditions and worker shortages, but this cannot be commented on now.

About 5,760 health care workers have been infected by the virus, according to figures released Tuesday by an Italian research institute.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/25/nurse-kills-infected-coronavirus-12453133/

• Sad 4

4 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

If I had a multi million pound company like the wetherspoons guy, I would certainly be looking after my staff even if it ment going into my own personal wealth. 

I hate to break this to you, but it's this kind of conscience that probably precludes you running a successful business.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I hate to break this to you, but it's this kind of conscience that probably precludes you running a successful business.

Obviously depends on wealth,  but were talking some extremely rich people.

Â