Generic Virus Thread

villakram

13 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Bit of a silly question (I am not an Internet network expert) but why are we experiencing a sudden increase in internet usage?

Didn't people who now work from home use internet while at the office? 

Surely the overall number of connections is the same?

If anything, people can now look at funny cat videos on their work screen rather than using their phone data under the desk.

Difference between home ISP and office ISP connections.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Bit of a silly question (I am not an Internet network expert) but why are we experiencing a sudden increase in internet usage?

I think I'll leave a full explanation to someone with much more knowledge than me but I would guess that there's firstly an increase in usage from people logging on to secure local networks over the internet from home rather than switching on their computer at work which is directly part of that local network.

Add on to that, people who are now at home not working are watching various TV services that they probably wouldn't be streaming to their work computer; kids would still be at school and not demanding to watch x, y & z; people are accessing all sorts of free stuff that wasn't available before (see the other thread for more details but stuff like free virtual gallery & museum tours, free exercise videos, free access to otherwise paywalled items such as games, &c.), and plenty more.

It's not about number of connections, is it? Though one would imagine that's higher anyway. It's about volume of traffic, surely?

I suspect a huge part of the difference is that in medium and large size companies, a lot of traffic is internal only - accessing intranets and locally hosted application servers. Now all of this also goes over the internet via the vpn.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Didn't people who now work from home use internet while at the office? 

Surely the overall number of connections is the same?

If anything, people can now look at funny cat videos on their work screen rather than using their phone data under the desk.

Offices have dedicated lines and ISP's which can handle a much higher load. I'm no expert but i'm guessing the cabinets that most of our home networks are connected to can only handle so much, and with everyone working from home, video calling, watching Netflix, playing games etc etc that load has probably increased by a lot. 

Though, just speculating. 

Just listening to LBC and they had someone call in who is involved in construction, goes round X amount of sites a day. He works on self employed basis. He said he isn't feeling well and may have coronavirus but he has to carry on working as he has a 2 year old daughter, wife and mortgage etc.  He basically lives week to week so can't afford not to go to work, knows it is selfish, knows he could kill others but is putting himself and his family first. How many others are doing this. Given 1 person infects 2.5 people and within 30 days that is then 406 people infected it is frightening. Government have to do more and be firmer stopping all but essential work unless can work from home.

Most of my extended family have come down with headaches. fevers, and coughs in the last couple of weeks. Not one of them will be tested. A lot of people in my office have had it go around their families as well.

All reasonably mild cases, not one has been hospitalised, but it seems the numbers for this are incredibly underreported.

It will undoubtedly be far, far more widespread than the numbers report.

The moment you started seeing 'remote' and 'elite' people come down with it, it was evident it was extremely widespread.

12 minutes ago, Chindie said:

It will undoubtedly be far, far more widespread than the numbers report.

The moment you started seeing 'remote' and 'elite' people come down with it, it was evident it was extremely widespread.

One of the earliest things Chris Whitty said was that he anticipated that the real number was between 50k-100k infected, after about 20 deaths - but what nobody said at that time was well what does that mean for the mortality rate. I suppose nobody wants to say anything without more testing, but I've never thought since then that the mortality rate was any higher than 0.5% (Whitty's minimum but probably over-estimate) - but what the fook do I know. 

Edited by Jareth

4 minutes ago, Jareth said:

One of the earliest things Chris Whitty said was that he anticipated that the real number was between 50k-100k infected, after about 20 deaths - but what nobody said at that time was well what does that mean for the mortality rate. I suppose nobody wants to say anything without more testing, but I've never thought since then that the mortality rate was any higher than 0.5% - but what the fook do I know. 

It seems likely that the mortality rate is in the same ballpark as regular flu season, however it is far more contagious. 

The problem with it being so contagious is that the numbers of people getting sick all at once quickly overwhelms the medical services and people start to die who otherwise could have been saved under normal circumstances, pushing the mortality rate higher. Also, hospitals can’t cope with their regular case load and people miss out on vital treatments for other illnesses/injuries. 

Edited by LondonLax
  • Like 2

Although the numbers are clearly well underrwporfedy, It's also probably worth pointing out most of those people who have been feeling up unwell probably have another illness. If you look at the figures of people who they've tested the vast majority haven't had it. 

11 hours ago, av1 said:

Whats this now from the Express?

Just read up on this and it's very rare for it to spread from human to human. I think the express is just trying to make a story from nothing here. Let's focus on where we are now rather than something which probably won't affect us.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

Just read up on this and it's very rare for it to spread from human to human. I think the express is just trying to make a story from nothing here. Let's focus on where we are now rather than something which probably won't affect us.

Yeah, I meant to complain about this last night. Very irresponsible reporting IMO.

21 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

It seems likely that the mortality rate is in the same ballpark as regular flu season, however it is far more contagious. 

The problem with it being so contagious is that the numbers of people getting sick all at once quickly overwhelms the medical services and people start to die who otherwise could have been saved under normal circumstances, pushing the mortality rate higher. Also, hospitals can’t cope with their regular case load and people miss out on vital treatments for other illnesses/injuries. 

For sure - if Whitty was thinking about these ranges, but underestimated its speed then I think I can see why they were going with the previous strategy. 

Â