Generic Virus Thread

villakram

9 minutes ago, Awol said:

Fair one mate. I got pneumonia aged 19, went to bed fine after a night out and woke up poleaxed. When it came it came quick and I’ve never had a fever like it, luckily was with a mate who got me into hospital ASAP. 

I suffered many Asthma attacks as a child. I recall being rushed to hospital in ambulances with an oxygen mask strapped to my face and spending days in Birmingham Children's Hospital.

My main memory of childhood Asthma was one Saturday afternoon when I was 8 years old. I had tomato soup for lunch and was watching world of sport on TV. They did a build up to the day's football games and I then went outside in the garden and started kicking the ball around. After a while I was violently sick in the garden. It took my breath so much that I had Asthma attack. I remember my Dad sending my brothers fiance to go call an ambulance whilst my Dad lay me across his lap. I was looking up at him gasping for every breath and he was telling me to calm whilst stroking my forehead and telling me to breathe like him. It really was like the scene in the film Signs where Mel Gibson did similar with his son. I was hospitalised for a week after that one. 

The worst physical experience of my life was when I suffered a Pulmonary Embolism (blood clot in the lung) around 16 years ago. I had a varicose vein repair op done the week before and also had to have a leaking valve repaired in my left calf. That bled in the afternoon whilst recovering and the nurse put a tourniquet on my leg. I was kept in Good Hope Hospital overnight and was in agony with my leg. The nurse wouldn't remove the tourniquet despite my many requests. The next morning, after 16 hours, the tourniquet was removed. Doctors believed that's what led to the blood clots that must have travelled from my leg to my lung after a week. 

I was at home and fighting for breath. The ambulance took me in around 11pm and after many blood tests and xrays thay eventually realised something was wrong, despite the fact I was lying lifeless on a trolley gasping for air with an oxygen mask on my face. They took me to the EAU around 5am and I was just out of it. I was sure I wouldn't make it. I was having oxygen but fighting for air. A nurse, who was about to go off duty, sat and held my hand for over one hour whilst she waited for the doctors to come and see me, I was that distressed. 

I was kept in hospital for a week. I had 3 tubes of blood per day taken from me. I had a warfarin injection every day. I was on steroids and oxygen. I was a bag of shit lay three in hospital. I was in so much agaony they had to inject me to put me to sleep. I was told that the clot had almost filled my left lung and that my lung would now be forever weakened and I'd be more susceptible to suffering further clots. 

Just before my son was born around 6.5 years ago, I suffered Asthma attack - my last Asthma attack. I was hospitalised for 3 days. My Asthma medication was changed then and I've not been as bad since. 

Edited by Villarocker

11 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

I'm pretty sure, from reading survivors' stories, that the pneumonia part comes from the amount of fluid (mucus?) that builds up in their sinuses and travels down into their lungs. I've not had any of that yet but still wheezier than usual. I'm hoping to avoid the sinus trouble. I dread the pneumonia, I'm sure that would kill me. 

Yeah Just take it steady and plenty of rest mate,

Heavy and Deep breathing moves the virus into the lower respiratory system and in turn gives you Pneumonia!

14 minutes ago, Xela said:

I won't link as its the Heil, but pictures across the UK today of people sunbathing in city parks, on beaches, taking a dip in the ocean and generally hanging around in groups in town/city centres

They don't get it do they? They will find the general populations tolerance to this shithousery will soon wane. 

I'm not so sure.

I was out the front of my home today and someone in a liveried van turned up to have a chat with the three people who have decided this week is the ideal opportunity to plaster the outside of someone's house (the someone is a builder and the other two are people who, I think, work for him normally on other people's contracts).

His business was some sort of demolition/breaker thing (he was on the 'phone for a while talking to other people about getting as many breakers out as were needed to do the job quickly) and he said that he'd just driven up to and back from Sctoland (to Malvern). Whilst coughing away, he laughed about 'road blocks in Scotland' and 'people questioning why you are out' and then proceeded to say that everything is easier down here.

I think, but am not sure, he was the son of the guy whose house the work was being done on and he'd just dropped in for a bit of a social on the way back.

It was all a joke and they fully intended to ignore anything they could and work around the rest.

They are, unfortunately, far from a small group in this vicinity.

I hope I live in a community of outliers.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kingman said:

Yeah Just take it steady and plenty of rest mate,

Heavy and Deep breathing moves the virus into the lower respiratory system and in turn gives you Pneumonia!

None of those 'recreational 'phone calls', then.

Edited by snowychap
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

I'm pretty sure, from reading survivors' stories, that the pneumonia part comes from the amount of fluid (mucus?) that builds up in their sinuses and travels down into their lungs. I've not had any of that yet but still wheezier than usual. I'm hoping to avoid the sinus trouble. I dread the pneumonia, I'm sure that would kill me. 

Fingers crossed for you mate.

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Was just feeling a bit dejected after another very tough work day but then had to slap some sense into myself. I'm lucky I can work from, have a secure (well, at the moment) job and earn a decent wage. Some people are out of work, living week to week or are ill. 

Wishing all the VTers suffering with this all the best. 

Same here. Been struggling a bit and getting down the last few days, but you have to try and keep perspective - I am one of the lucky ones in reality.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

I think you’re in the same situation as me mate. I am also fortunate with being equipped by my company so I can work from home, job is secure, and get a decent wage.

I live alone (I think I remember you saying you do too), so I’m having no human interaction aside from over Whatsapp. This is where I’m starting to struggle. I can’t see any of my mates or family and haven’t even even left my house since Sunday. I normally have an active social life, have various friendship groups, play golf, watch footy, the NFL and go to the gym etc. 

The isolation is definitely starting to drag me down, but I’ve got a lot less to worry about than others for sure and my issues are minor in comparison. Good luck to everyone, stay healthy and I wish a speedy recovery to those currently infected. 

Yeah live alone but unlike you, i'm generally an anti-social sod but believe it or not, I am missing some human contact. 

The WhatsApp groups are definitely popping off more than before so that's good. Been a good chance to catch up with some of my mates and sketch out a potential Bangers trip once this is all over ;) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Xela said:

Yeah live alone but unlike you, i'm generally an anti-social sod but believe it or not, I am missing some human contact. 

The WhatsApp groups are definitely popping off more than before so that's good. Been a good chance to catch up with some of my mates and sketch out a potential Bangers trip once this is all over ;) 

I'm guessing Chatroulette is a stone cold atrocity right now.

• Like 1

Â