Generic Virus Thread

villakram

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

Nadine Zahawi

He’s an utterly horrible liar isn’t he. Odious display of deliberately trying to confuse and pretend not to understand really really simple questions on Newsnight.

What sort of person goes on tv to deliberately lie about life and death? 

Apparently we have all the respirators and all the ppe and all the tests we could possibly need, everything is cool, relax.

Lying Representative for Wellingborough.

Quite stunningly so.

I would recommend actually digging out this interview.  It is, even by modern political standards, pretty extraordinary.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Yeah... All the places are open for delivery they just have no freezers. They all got panic bought by the panic buyers who realised they hadn't got anywhere to panic freeze their panic buys.

John Lewis seem to have some in stock

Nicola Sturgeon announces she's setting up a Scottish scientific advisory group on Covid-19 to "supplement" the UK Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (SAGE), which advises Downing St/devolved leaders.

Even now the SNP can’t resist nationalist gesture politics. Without the UK umbrella Scotland would be officially goosed right now. 

• Like 1

Almost 100.000 registered new cases in the last 24h world wide, Unregistered cases is anyone's guess.

US up to 70.000 cases, will pass Italy and China before the weekend and meanwhile their president is squabbling with journalists who question why he is pushing people back to work and church in time for Easter.

New York turning into a new Bergamo.

6 minutes ago, sne said:

Almost 100.000 registered new cases in the last 24h world wide, Unregistered cases is anyone's guess.

US up to 70.000 cases, will pass Italy and China before the weekend and meanwhile their president is squabbling with journalists who question why he is pushing people back to work and church in time for Easter.

New York turning into a new Bergamo.

NYC might become bad, but I can't see it hitting the levels of Lombardy. They had an exceptionally old population and anyone that's been a lot to Italy, live there or in any way have been connected to people there know smoking is much MUCH more prevalent than any other nation I can think of in Europe. I have absolutely zero qualifications to be laying down truths in regards to Lombardy, but I can't for my life imagine the two things not being connected to the respiratory disease ravaging them. 

11 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

Are you any better/worse in general than yesterday?

mine definitely seems worse in the evenings so could just be a thing i guess, seem to start out ok in the morning but gradually get worse through the day. Thankfully it is much better than it was but still isn't right 7 days now after the worst of it last wednesday.

Ditto Lakota. At times I think I'm out of the woods, feeling stronger and breathing much better.  Then it comes back to bite me on the bum. Chest gets tighter and breathing more restricted.  I need to do less during the day.  It's not good for the anxiety, especially when you see various stories in the media.  

• Sad 2

3 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

NYC might become bad, but I can't see it hitting the levels of Lombardy. They had an exceptionally old population and anyone that's been a lot to Italy, live there or in any way have been connected to people there know smoking is much MUCH more prevalent than any other nation I can think of in Europe. I have absolutely zero qualifications to be laying down truths in regards to Lombardy, but I can't for my life imagine the two things not being connected to the respiratory disease ravaging them. 

Yeah I think smoking plays a huge part, but so does obesity and diabetes. And the US got that in abundance.

Edit: The US also have a large population who are used to stay away from hospital and going to work sick because they can not afford to stay home or the hospital bill.

Edited by sne

4 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

1800 people in their 30’s are ICU patients in Bergamo. Pushing the ‘old people’s disease’ line is not only wrong, it’s dangerous at this point. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Awol said:

1800 people in their 30’s are ICU patients in Bergamo. Pushing the ‘old people’s disease’ line is not only wrong, it’s dangerous at this point. 

Thus the smoking argument. The majority of ill are still elderly. Afaik around 25% of the Italian population is above 65 years old. Lombardy is apparantly even higher. Lethality is also completely different between elderly and young. 

Slight digression, but this is decent. https://twitter.com/AndyBiotech/status/1241741127205572609/photo/1

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

10 minutes ago, sne said:

Yeah I think smoking plays a huge part, but so does obesity and diabetes. And the US got that in abundance.

Edit: The US also have a large population who are used to stay away from hospital and going to work sick because they can not afford to stay home or the hospital bill.

That's a very good point actually. Remember an Italian doctor going live a week ago saying over 95% of the lethal cases had underlying issues, and that obviously could be as you say obesity and diabetes. 

2 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Thus the smoking argument. The majority of ill are still elderly. Afaik around 25% of the Italian population is above 65 years old. Lombardy is apparantly even higher. Lethality is also completely different between elderly and young. 

What I can gather from reading reports (and I’m no more expert than you) the old are certainly dying faster, but the mean for critical cases in Lombardy was about 65 yrs old. It could be lower now.

Younger people are hanging on better /longer in ICU conditions, but if that capacity is breached Then age will be much less of a factor in survival. 

The issue of co-morbidities is also overdone imo, obesity counts and applies to 28-30% of entire UK population! Smoking clearly doesn’t help, but I don’t think it’s as deterministic as ‘old smokers are screwed, younger people mainly okay’. Seems much more like Russian roulette than that. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Awol said:

What I can gather from reading reports (and I’m no more expert than you) the old are certainly dying faster, but the mean for critical cases in Lombardy was about 65 yrs old. It could be lower now.

Younger people are hanging on better /longer in ICU conditions, but if that capacity is breached Then age will be much less of a factor in survival. 

The issue of co-morbidities is also overdone imo, obesity counts and applies to 28-30% of entire UK population! Smoking clearly doesn’t help, but I don’t think it’s as deterministic as ‘old smokers are screwed, younger people mainly okay’. Seems much more like Russian roulette than that. 

New Yorkers 18 to 44 make up bulk of coronavirus cases

New Yorkers between the ages of 18 and 44 account for the bulk of positive COVID-19 cases, according to new city data.

Those residents accounted for 46 percent of the 12,339 cases as of Monday morning, according to the city Department of Health. Just 40 percent of the city’s population is between those ages.

The next-highest concentration of cases is people ages 45 to 64 at 33 percent, followed by ages 65 to 74 at 11 percent, 75 and over at 8 percent and ages 0 to 17 at 3 percent.

Men represent the majority of city cases at 57 percent.

Experts have said the elderly and people with pre-existing conditions are at the greatest risk of dying from the coronavirus. Officials have said those groups should be prioritized for testing.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/23/new-yorkers-aged-18-44-make-up-bulk-of-coronavirus-cases/

Well to be fair to your point, the elderly would die faster cause I think they are holding off ICU and respirators to younger people, so that obviously skew the numbers. 

But I think the average lethal case age were 79 years old in Lombardy. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

1 hour ago, Awol said:

Nicola Sturgeon announces she's setting up a Scottish scientific advisory group on Covid-19 to "supplement" the UK Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (SAGE), which advises Downing St/devolved leaders.

Even now the SNP can’t resist nationalist gesture politics. Without the UK umbrella Scotland would be officially goosed right now. 

Looking at what Sturgeon has said she wants to be certain that the decisions they are taking are the most effective ones possible and if there are more steps that need to be taken.

That sounds to me like she thinks that they should be on a fuller lock down with maybe all but essential workers told they have to stay at home. She certainly wouldn't be alone in thinking that.

If you think that 2 weeks ago today a big part of the governments plan based on advice from the chief scientific adviser and medical officer was herd immunity and to allow 60% of the population to get it. It then transpired that 500,00 people could lose their lives under this plan so it quickly changed. Since then we have had indecision and mixed messages from the government.

I am personally not surprised that Sturgeon is seeking other expert advice and off the back of it may look to push for implementing measures above those of the UK government.

Edited by markavfc40

This is a pretty on point description on how the situation is handled in Sweden. One side is claiming it's rapidly turning into a disaster while the other side is saying things are going just fine.

One side is representing the people on the ground, the other is representing the government and the CDC. You choose who to trust.

"The storm is upon us," stated Stockholm's Director of Health, Björn Eriksson, at a hastily convened press conference on Wednesday after 18 people died in the corona in Stockholm the last day.

Just four hours before, the state epidemiologist Anders Tegnell at the Public Health Authority had stated that the situation is "stable".

TT: Why these double messages?

- I have no comments on that. We must first get in touch with Stockholm to get a better look, says Anders Tegnell.

TT: Is the storm over us or not?

- We need to get in touch with Stockholm first, to find out what they see and what we don't see. So we don't wobble back and forth. It would be very strange.

At today's press conference, you will tell us more about the situation, Tegnell promises.

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Can i ask anyone who feels they have it- is one of your symptoms sense of smell?

Mines completely gone and i dont have a blocked nose.  My taste buds are all over the place too

It's meant to be a symptom of the most mild form although I think it's usually taste and smell, but maybe just smell is a other, it seems rather coincidental. 

• Thanks 1

Â